LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 9:16 pm 

The Miata makes and excellent Locost donor. It uses an independent rear suspension which presents a challenge for builders using Ron Champion "book" based plans which are designed around a solid rear axle.

If you are using a Miata donor, you must buy Keith Tanner's book.

Using the Miata rear subframe:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4083

Can I use a RX-7 LSD with my Miata based build?
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2585

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 11:06 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Here are some Miata builds using the entire Miata drivetrain:

Keith Tanner literally wrote the book on the Miata-based Locost, How To Build a Cheap Sports Car ( http://www.cheapsportscar.net ). Keith's build log ( http://www.cheapsportscar.net/diary.php?UID=1 ) parallels, but does not duplicate, his book.

Mark Rivera has been an inspiration to many Miata builders, particularly in his use of the Miata rear subframe. This and more is detailed in his Miata-Based MX-7 Locost Project: http://rivera.fotomojo.us/g/MX7 .

Please reply to this thread with other builds that can be added as Miata builds.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 12:52 am 

Any recommendation on selling off the parts to try to regain some donor cost? Any certain parts go better than others?

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 7:04 am 

Throw the parts on Craigslist. Interior parts sell well, Miata owners in the Cincinnati SCCA chapter would be interested in parts. Where in Cincinnati are you located?

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 11:57 am 

I would also try the Spec Miata web site. I used them for selling some of my '01 Miata parts. I sold the unibody to a gentleman who raced in Spec Miata.

Here's their site: http://mazdaracers.com/forum/100-spec-miata/

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 12:18 pm 

krepus wrote:
Throw the parts on Craigslist. Interior parts sell well, Miata owners in the Cincinnati SCCA chapter would be interested in parts. Where in Cincinnati are you located?

Lawrenceburg, IN

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 12:34 pm 

With the rear quarter damage, I'm doubting anyone will want the shell. The car looks to have had a couple Maaco paint jobs (or worse) over its lifetime. There is over-spray everywhere. They didn't even pull the lenses. They all have blue paint along the edges.

The nice thing is, the damage only took out the battery, taillight and bumper. The doors & fenders don't look bad, except for paint chips.

PostPosted: July 14, 2014, 7:39 pm 

I know this is an old post but what is the best model miata to use as a donor for the best performing (fastest) locost?

Thanks in Advance.

PostPosted: August 7, 2014, 2:51 pm 

de Jong wrote:
I know this is an old post but what is the best model miata to use as a donor for the best performing (fastest) locost?

Thanks in Advance.

That's a loaded question....

A mazdaspeed miata will be the fastest donor without modification, but they're expensive to buy and rare and are known to have....issues.

VVT-engine models are probably next on the list but are far more complex than earlier models and aren't super cheap either.

A very early NA is one of the cheapest models you can buy and with the savings on the donor you can easily put a turbo on it and tune via megasquirt and end up with a very fast miata-based car, but there is more complexity in the setup and more parts to buy

If it were my build I'd find a 94 with a LSD and turbo it.

PostPosted: August 7, 2014, 4:32 pm 

anavrinIV wrote:
de Jong wrote:

Thanks in Advance.

That's a loaded question....

A mazdaspeed miata will be the fastest donor without modification, but they're expensive to buy and rare and are known to have....issues.

VVT-engine models are probably next on the list but are far more complex than earlier models and aren't super cheap either.

A very early NA is one of the cheapest models you can buy and with the savings on the donor you can easily put a turbo on it and tune via megasquirt and end up with a very fast miata-based car, but there is more complexity in the setup and more parts to buy

If it were my build I'd find a 94 with a LSD and turbo it.

Thanks for the input man. I have been keeping an eye out on criagslist while I figure out if I want to go with a MNR or MK kit

PostPosted: August 7, 2014, 4:37 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I just bought a 1999 Miata for my son as a wedding gift and in the process I drove 2 Mazdaspeed Miatas. I was very disappointed. They redline at 6000 not 7000 and it makes a huge difference in feel.

On paper I thought they'd have the giddy up and go to almost match my S2000 but they fell far short. The 99 felt peppier.

And from 99 up there's a difference in front end geometry. All the cool kids with older cars are replacing the early subframes with the newer ones.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.