LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 12:30 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

LocostUSA is happy to welcome four new moderators to Team Mod: Blackbird (aka Moti) been on the job for a few weeks and has already injected a lot of energy and new ideas. A. Moore (Andrew), Jawfish (Fred), and Horizenjob (Marcus) are freshly-minted mods and are also eager to help keep the oil changed.

With that, I'll turn the mike over to Moti, who has some exciting news about some upcoming improvements to LocostUSA!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 2:11 am 
Weight watcher

Thanks!

I'd like to welcome our new transition team as well :wink: .
It's time to unite BEC builders with V8 guys, turbo with supercharger fans, miata donor builders with everyone else!
Yes we can!

Well enough with Obama references :lol: ..

LocostUSA is facing some exciting changes.
Nearing 1500 members and 50K posts, our little community is steadily growing and really moves forward to become a home for the north american locost community.
With more media exposure than ever before - from reports on 07.07.07 in mainstream automotive media, through Keith Tanner's locost starring between the pages of GRM and Jack McCornack X-prize car making titles on the NY times.

The locost community in NA will benefit from a good source to discuss the building, improving and all other matters regarding those fun little cars.
With that in mind, the forum is about to be re-organized in order to improve the division between the sub-forums and to give a clear place for every topic to be posted.
This will make searching easier and I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.

Another exciting change will take form in the area of design.
Without going into details at this point I'll just say that the re-freshed look of the forum will also be followed by some fun stuff for ya'll, T-shirts and such!

Moti

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 5:02 am 

^ LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 1:42 pm 

I for one welcome our new moderator overlords.

Post subject: It Sounds Exciting
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 7:57 pm 

This all sounds good to me. Even though I'm just in the planning stages for my Locost, I'm already reaping benefits from the expertise (and helpful nature) of the folks in these forums. I look forward to adding to the community knowledge pool as I move forward with my own design and build.

And, it's also nice to see that there are more SoCal builders becoming visible too. Maybe we can look forward to a SoCal event in 2009? It's a nice thought anyway.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 8:37 pm 

Here's wishing all a "peaceful transfer of power"

I'm sure all the new Moderators will do a Great Job carrying on the torch.

-IndyJoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 10:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Fear not...the old guard is not going away...just recruiting more help! The upgrades we're looking forward to will require a lot of work, so more mods were needed. Collectively, we'll be able to retain all the great content already in the forums, while laying a foundation for better access, organization, searching...and hopefully good looks to boot!

-dave "the beatings will continue until morale improves" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 10:23 pm 

I don't want to be "that old fart" (mostly because I'm not that old) but I'll just throw this out.

I find it extremely refreshing that this board is so simple. I have spent a fair amount of time on a number of boards and they all end up "upgrading" to a fancy new look which ends up just making it harder to get to the information. I have not doubt that the changes planned are not of the "make it look good, doesn't mater how it works" verity, I mean hell, we're into cheap cars built out of scraps, so I am not worried in the least. I just wanted to state for the record that the simplicity of this site is a boon.

Boards that I have frequented:

The good:
www.head-fi.org
www.diyaudio.com
www.forums.turbobricks.com

The UGLY:
www.volvospeed.com (love the board, hate the look and the layout)
www.headwize.com (an example of things staying the same for too long, again though, a fantastic board)

I still find this board to be the easiest and most intuitive to navigate. Although I spend the most time here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 11:33 pm 

+1 on keeping the simplicity of this board. And Dave, My wife's a computer programmer and website designer, so I KNOW a little bit about the HUGE amount of work that goes into keeping and upgrading a site like this. Keep up the good work, and let's pretend the morale is up so the beating can cease.

-Indy "it's gonna be a lot of work" Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 11:57 pm 
Weight watcher

Rest assured, folks, the current forum's simplicity is going to be kept, it'll just be better organized.
Any board needs to evolve at times in order to better reflect the needs of its members, some of the sub-forums in the current setup could be improved and that's what we're after.
Give it a little bit of time, we're working on it, the keyboards are firing away and the end result should be here soon.

Milo -
I did check the links to the other boards that you posted, and honestly could not see what was so good in http://www.head-fi.org/ ... I found the front page extremely annoying to browse through.
But that's JMHO :) .

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 12:18 am 

I love the forum, and its simplicity. I could write pages on things that could be improved on some forums, but could only think of 3 for LocostUSA.

1) I wish there was the ability to search only the topic title.
2) The Groups could use a little organization via the use of sub-groups.
3) There is a bug in the text box when making a post via Google Chrome that causes existing words to seam to disappear when you insert new words in to an existing line of text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 1:47 am 

milo wrote:
I don't want to be "that old fart" (mostly because I'm not that old) but I'll just throw this out.

I find it extremely refreshing that this board is so simple. I have spent a fair amount of time on a number of boards and they all end up "upgrading" to a fancy new look which ends up just making it harder to get to the information. I have not doubt that the changes planned are not of the "make it look good, doesn't mater how it works" verity, I mean hell, we're into cheap cars built out of scraps, so I am not worried in the least. I just wanted to state for the record that the simplicity of this site is a boon.

Boards that I have frequented:

The good:
www.head-fi.org
www.diyaudio.com
www.forums.turbobricks.com

The UGLY:
www.volvospeed.com (love the board, hate the look and the layout)
www.headwize.com (an example of things staying the same for too long, again though, a fantastic board)

I still find this board to be the easiest and most intuitive to navigate. Although I spend the most time here :)

I think the turbobricks site look really good, but with my slow connection im all for a really simple very fast downloading site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 1:17 pm 

I think I have spent tons of time on all the Locost newsgroups, and This is what I call "HOME". Not just for the site, which I love!! because I can move through it quickly and find what I am interested (better search would be nice), But Mostly for the GREAT people that make up the Community. I was lucky enough to meet many of you in KC ( :yay: Hi All) Looking forward to seeing what happens! Keep it up!
Joe Garrison
Crescent, OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 1:55 pm 

Moti,

You are right, the front page is really really really bad. I was thinking more about the thread layout and the "thread tools" which have a quick link to a printable version. I actually have a bookmark that sticks me right to the DIY discussions forum, so I had to actually go back to see the front page. I have not been there in ages, and it's worse than I remember.

Again, I only said what I said to render compliments on this sites layout. (Not getting defensive, just wanted to reiterate that I like this place :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 2:20 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

I welcome our new moderator over loards....(ala slashdot.org)

I would welcome any and all changes to the front page....this forum is what we do best ... the great shared knowledge and friendliness of the boards. The family friendliness of it all ... I think the front page misses/doesn't reflect that somehow.

Chet has done an AWESOME job ... but until we can clone him he is just one man. I look forward to any contributions the new mods bring (please no dancing chickens).

Small joke... (see passed without most noticing...its gone).

Welcome aboard....

To err is human...
I am more human than most.