LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turn signal actuation
PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 11:06 am 

Turn signal switch arrangements:

1) modern switches are bulky, and expect a big box housing around the column. A box
would have to be made. However, there would be a modest amount of weather protection from the box, and with a hole cut through the outer tube, it might be possible to retain the OEM cancelling mechanism

2) clamp-on "street rod" style switch. Illuminated skull knob optional.

3) Spridget style left/right toggle switch on dash

4) Austin A7(?) "battery shutoff" style rotary switch on dash

5) motorcycle switch on a fixed stalk, like some BEC builders use

6) early MG style stalk sticking straight out of the dash

7) left/right pushbuttons on steering wheel

Anything I've missed?

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 11:39 am 

Maybe an extreme here -

A man with one arm used to come to our shop. He had an automatic jeep liberty, and a foot mounted switch for his left foot that toggled the high beams and turn signals. it has an arm extending downwards, with a c shaped cup on the end. Clicking it forwards toggled the high beams, pushing to the left was left turn signal, right right turn signal and back towards him was the hazards.

Pretty innovative.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 1:18 pm 

If I was starting from scratch, I would consider one of the aftermarket motorcycle electronically-timed self-cancelling devices that use 2 momentary contact switches. I'd mount either pushbutton or toggle on the dash. A side benefit is you get the emergency flasher function for free. I drove MGA's for many years and never felt like reaching for the dash was an inconvenience to activate the pneumatically timed turn signal switch. As a matter of fact, my Locost uses the RX-7 switch mounted on the dash in a similar location and operation. The RX uses a potentiometer mounted on the steering shaft housing to sense the wheel turning for self-cancelling.

One benefit to the RX or motorcycle system is if you are planning on using a removable steering wheel. Steering wheel mounted push buttons require wiring and a disconnect. OEM style steering shaft stalks remain in place and may be subject to damage while trying to get in and out. One disadvantage is not being able to reach the dash to activate the dash-mounted turn signals when using a 5-point harness, unless you have ape-long arms. :mrgreen: I re-designed with 3-point inertia harnesses.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 4:13 pm 

I was actually just ordering all the switches for my car today and went with a simple pair of toggle switches and a pair of flasher relays for the turn signals. Simple and cheap. Hazards is as simple as flipping both switches at the same time. I moved my scuttle / dash back by 6 inches so I can easily reach most of the dash. If I find myself forgetting to cancel them, I will wire in a buzzer to go along with the dash LED turn signal lights I already have ordered.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 4:20 pm 

Sounds like you're on top of it, Chris! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 5:34 pm 

I've used the left-right momentary toggle switch approach to activate small electronic timer circuits. The little, inexpensive circuit cards are individually adjustable for flashing time. A second tap of the toggle will also turn them off. A separate non-momentary toggle switch for hazard lights is wired to different inputs on the two boards that stays on until turned off. Circuits are packaged in a sealed plastic box smaller than a cigarette pack. Small LED indicator lights let me know things are working. No problem reaching the toggles with a 5-point harness on.

For the current build, I'll do something similar but will look into the aftermarket motorcycle-based flasher packages as an alternative to my DIY electronics.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 19, 2015, 3:55 am 

I used a steering column from a 70's F-150 in my car. It's a basic tube style column that looks very similar to a non-tilt Flaming River column, but minus the price. It has self canceling signals, a hazard button, and that's it. There were some made with tilt columns, and if you want the key on the column instead of the dash, a tilt column is much easier to find.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 17, 2016, 10:16 pm 

I got one of these from speedway and mounted PTT buttons on the steering wheel with a coil cord to the dash. It is auto canceling with varying length of signal tied to how long the button is pressed. Hold both for hazards. Pretty slick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 31, 2016, 9:46 am 

That electronic flasher module is pretty slick, but not exactly "Locost". $105 for a glorified flasher unit seems a bit much! Tom, can you give us some more info on your DIY units?