LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 31, 2017, 11:42 am 

I hear you on the hand work for the finger slot. I end up doing a lot of similar things by hand. It takes you longer to figure out and set up something on a machine versus just doing it quickly by hand. Thanks for the photos.

I went back and checked the relevant document for my own build. It's called CHP 885: Passenger Car Equipment Requirements. We have to have a windshield too and it must be DOT safety glass. It must have "self-operated" windshield wipers, so my hand crank example won't do. However, defrosters are only required on a "passenger vehicle used for the transportation of persons for compensation." So, I at least have the option of leaving the defroster off, if I choose.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 31, 2017, 12:35 pm 

You lucked out on the heater/defroster!! There's a LOT of work trying to fit all that stuff inside the scuttle of a Locost, and still have room for all the gauges, speedo cable, glove box, wiper system, etc. I even have to demonstrate (at inspection time) that it blows hot air, and lots of it.

For those who haven't visited the site, I have to shout out to Car Builder Solutions in England as the source for a lot of the small but indispensable parts I've needed - short wiper arms, wiper blades, defrost ducts, etc. The parts are actually pretty cheap (even including shipping), and tax-free when coming to North America. Thinking of nice, over-center stainless catches for your hood, for example? Their free catalog (included with your first order, unless you request otherwise) has several pages of such latches, at a fraction of the price of similar items from Amazon, for example (where the selection is severely limited). It costs nothing to check out the site, and you might find the solutions to some small, but thorny problems.

Another British site I've used is KitSpares. That's where I got my gorgeous front cycle fenders. Cheap, yet true show-car quality, in the precise color I want my 'glass parts to be. To put the price in perspective (around $180 CDN, total, for the pair, in the color of my choice, delivered to my door), if I'd used front fenders sourced from anywhere else, the cost of painting them, alone, would have exceeded the total price I paid for these finished ones, and likely would have been of far lesser quality.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't make the same mistake I did - for years, I'd discounted the idea of trying to get parts out of England, as I figured the prices would be too high, shipping would be too expensive & take forever, etc., so I didn't bother trying. BIG mistake! If I'd searched such places several years ago, I'd have found a LOT of instant solutions to problems I've ended up dealing with "the hard way", and I'd have saved myself a lot of money & time!

Vis-a-vis the defroster/heater system, I got some quality work done on it yesterday, so tonight I'll post some progress pics on my build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=135 which I've sorely neglected for a few months :oops:

http://zetec7.webs.com/