LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13, 2017, 3:55 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey, all y'all Miata powered folk!
I am in the process of (hurriedly, and at the last minute) installing a first-gen Miata alternator on the Ford 5.0 motor in the Slotus. (Don't ask, it's too long a story, kids would get restless, grownups would snore...)

I have a bit of a problem regarding wiring up the little beastie. See diagram below:
Attachment:
Miata Charging Sys Diagram.JPG
See the alternator, the circular item near center of the picture? OK, there's three wires. One, the main output of the alternator, is a threaded post and that wire goes direct to the battery (or the pos lug on the starter). Found him, no problem. Then there's the other two wires. One -white/black stripe- goes thru the indicator lamp or the resistor and connects to an "ignition on" fuse. I understand the alternator won't properly charge without that circuit/wire. The other wire -white with a green stripe- goes up around the corner and connects to the 12v output line. I understand it's the input for the voltage regulator.

OK, here's the problem... I don't have the factory plug that connects to the two spade connectors on the side of the alternator. See picture below:
Attachment:
Miata Alternator.jpg
There's two spade connectors in that light brown plug. Which one is which???

OK, answers from the crowd! Anybody? Don't be shy, speak up...

:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 7, 2017, 7:38 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hey, all y'all Miata powered folk!
I am in the process of (hurriedly, and at the last minute) installing a first-gen Miata alternator on the Ford 5.0 motor in the Slotus. (Don't ask, it's too long a story, kids would get restless, grownups would snore...)

I have a bit of a problem regarding wiring up the little beastie. See diagram below:
Attachment:
Miata Charging Sys Diagram.JPG
See the alternator, the circular item near center of the picture? OK, there's three wires. One, the main output of the alternator, is a threaded post and that wire goes direct to the battery (or the pos lug on the starter). Found him, no problem. Then there's the other two wires. One -white/black stripe- goes thru the indicator lamp or the resistor and connects to an "ignition on" fuse. I understand the alternator won't properly charge without that circuit/wire. The other wire -white with a green stripe- goes up around the corner and connects to the 12v output line. I understand it's the input for the voltage regulator.

OK, here's the problem... I don't have the factory plug that connects to the two spade connectors on the side of the alternator. See picture below:
Attachment:
Miata Alternator.jpg
There's two spade connectors in that light brown plug. Which one is which???

OK, answers from the crowd! Anybody? Don't be shy, speak up...

:cheers:
JDK

Boy am I glad you posted this. I have your connector pig tail. You can buy them. I too am looking to see where that wire goes. One I am pretty sure goes back on the battery post. the other IDK.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782