LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuse box location
PostPosted: November 7, 2018, 12:19 pm 

Where are people mounting their fuse boxes? Has anyone with one mounted forward of the firewall had problems with the heat?

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: Fuse box location
PostPosted: November 7, 2018, 9:05 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Many vehicles have the fusebox under the hood. If you are talking about a fuse box that is white plastic and designed for interior use, build a cover to keep it clean and dry as well as shielded from heat and light if no hood (uv destroys white plastics used for fuse boxes and instrument panel housings that are normally hidden in the dash). You could also make an opening in the firewall with the fuse panel recessed inside, then cover it with a flat panel that overhangs by one inch all around and use four pan head screws to attach the cover. Fit a gasket from soft plastic, rubber, coated paper, etc if you are worried about water intrusion.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 7, 2018, 10:56 pm 

As above,
What fusebox?
Bonor? If so, was it an engine bay fuse box? it must be already ready to be there, if not, take appropriate measures.
I have installed mine on the passenger side behind the instrument panel.
My summit Racing harness has 4 branches and 2 go to the dash and columnand 2 to the front and back. Anyway I woud have two looms crossing the firewall so I decided it was better to have it inside to protect it from the elements.
HTH.

PostPosted: November 12, 2018, 12:28 am 

I had my Painless fuse box under the hood for a while with no issues. When I re-did my dash and firewall though, I moved it behind the firewall because the spot I originally had it (above the passenger footwell) was removed for easier access to my battery (in the passenger footwell).
Kristian

PostPosted: November 12, 2018, 8:51 am 

I mounting the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side. I added a pivot to the mounting panel that allows it to swing down for easy access. DaveW

PostPosted: November 12, 2018, 12:44 pm 

I'm mounting mine in a sheet-metal steel box I fabricated & installed below the middle of the aluminum horizontal scuttle panel. I made a little door through the floor of the horizontal panel for access. The box kind of hangs below the panel & above the bell housing. I'm using an EZ 21-circuit harness.

The idea for putting the panel there was to: a) protect the panel from heat, rocks, etc., b) keep the wiring harness hidden from view (I love the look of an engine compartment free from a spaghetti nest of visible wire), and c) give easy, ready access to the fuses, relays, etc.

The latch in the aluminum door is aluminum, has magnetic catches to hold it closed, and a spring-loaded finger door for opening. Here's a couple of pics (panel's not installed inside the box in these pics). Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Attachment:
fuse panel box open small2.jpg

Attachment:
fuse panel box closed small2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 13, 2018, 10:33 am 

Nice job.

Every time I see your build, I'm struck by the bodywork. Those are the best looking fiberglass parts I've seen on a Locost/7/Caterham.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 13, 2018, 1:36 pm 

Thank you! The rear fenders & nose are CMC pieces, and those glorious front fenders are from England. They arrived just as you see them, and I liked the colour & finish so much I had the rears & nose painted to match.

I’m embarrassed at the state of the horizontal scuttle panel in the pictures - it was (and will be again) highly polished. It sure doesn’t take much to scratch up aluminum - even rubbing a finger across it leaves scratches. I may have to clear-coat it eventually, or spend a lot of future time polishing!

http://zetec7.webs.com/