LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 3:41 pm 

So this is one of those questions you never ask on motorcycle forums for obvious reasons and i feel it may be the same here (theft reasons).

I want to convert my ignition to push button from key start. I understand the simple idea as ill probably have 2 switches in the end with a momentary push button. From my thoughts ill have a switch for power, a switch for the fuel pump, and a momentary to send power to the starter... at least this is what i had to do to my boat... I could make it really easy by ripping off all the covering on the wiring harness but i would rather sway away from that.

I put a push button on my Jeep way back when, and for security reasons i had a kill switch to the fuel pump and a kill switch to the starter hidden underneath inside the seat foam. This way when i left it in areas that worried me i would kill those and nothing else would work.

Worst case ill stick with a key... but keys are so old fashion now days lol...

I guess if needed just PM me the info if its a problem to post it.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 3:58 pm 

On my Golf i took the starter wire out of the ignition switch and wired it to a button behind the cig lighter. So you would put the key in and turn it to the on position then hit the cig lighter to start the car. That way it was still a push button and you still need the key.

VW 2.1 ABA locost in the planning stage

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 7:01 pm 

I put a toggle switch way up under on the firewall. My truck had a kick starter (foot switch). It never got stolen but I don't think anyone wanted it either.

On my build I think we'll go to something like that; there are many ways to hide or disguise a switch. Who would want to 1) figure out how to operate your locost, and 2) be seen driving it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 2:22 am 

A friend of mine has a nissan 240 (piece of crap, but a lot of my friends have had their tuner hondas stolen so we always think of ways to immobilze cars) that won't start unless you flip a hidden switch. Another buddy of mine has a RX7, and some of those cars have a switch inside that can control the suspension dampers. He got rid of the stock dampers for aftermarket ones and decided to make the switch that controlled them his fuel pump kill switch. When he stops to get out of the car, he presses it and you'd never know the fuel pump was disconnected. Put it in sport mode and the car can start 8)

I thought it was cool.

Chances are that if you hide a switch in the car thieves aren't going to find it. Secondly, I don't think a thief would steal a home-built car for the simple fact that it wouldn't take long for the cops to find it. Thats why they normally just steal hondas and crap.

My car is going to have my brother's broken mini laptop permanently mounted in it working the megasquirt and stuff and it has a fingerprint scanner. I thought it would be flippin sweet to start the car by scanning your fingerprint :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 10:18 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
My car is going to have my brother's broken mini laptop permanently mounted in it working the megasquirt and stuff and it has a fingerprint scanner. I thought it would be flippin sweet to start the car by scanning your fingerprint

Set it up so you can bypass it. It might work fine, but automotive, industrial and many other embedded computers are built for more abuse. Larger temperature range and vibration tolerance etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 10:52 am 

You could buy one of these and cut it up:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96381

A lot cheaper than a laptop.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 12:29 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Also, when the key is turned fully cw to start, several connections are broken to ensure full power goes to the starter and ignition system. Check your schematics.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 1:43 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Also, when the key is turned fully cw to start, several connections are broken to ensure full power goes to the starter and ignition system. Check your schematics.

yea i know... usually only the starter and the fuel system keep power. Most cars even kill everything else like the guages, lights, radio, ect. But the power required to kick over a R1 motor is nothing. You can roll start them so easily. Im not too concerned about this part.

At most ill keep the ignition switch as like a kill switch. Ill wire it between the starter button and the starter. So essentially ill leave the key in the ignition turned on all the time, but the only way to get the power to the car to turn on would be the switches. I would probably put the ignition and key on the firewall in the engine bay. So the key would just be essentially another switch and would not control the fuel pump or starter... now im thinkin safety for when i want it, and ease of use for summer driving.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 1:43 pm 

i guess the best thing would be to get the motor in, get it running on with the key, make sure everything works 100%... then convert it to a push button.