LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 11:17 am 

I am thinking of designing/building a set of projector headlights using 4 (2 for each side) projector fog lights. Does anybody have any ideas/input or possibly done/seen this before? I would probably fab-up a bracket to mount the lights to then fiberglass a housing around the lights/bracket. I would need some way to attach the housing to the light's bracket too that wouldn't look hideous. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share them.

-Josh

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 7:49 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Cheap aftermarket fog lights typically have glue on lenses which get warm and fall off if you sit still long enough (see Pooks trike topic). Also, they put out a lot of glare annoying other drivers if there isn't a small cover inside the light over the end of the bulb. That is one reason most are labeled off-road only. Hella makes DOT legal lights that are reasonably priced (check out the suppliers forum).

As for mounting, the lights should mount to the chassis with rear access for adjustment. An opening other than for the light to shine through is not necessary with rear adjustment.

A "step" in the body to set the lights into can use 2 pieces of mdf as a mold. A plexiglass cover can be molded to fit over the lights with an electric oven set on approximately 200 degrees, a couple of 1/4" thick storm windows from Home Depot, and a mold made of plaster or whatever covered in felt. The windows are heated then quickly taken to the mold and draped over it, holding it in position until it cools enough to take shape. It can be reheated if necessary. Covered lights may not be legal in your area.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 10:33 am 
Toyotaphobe

http://www.rallylights.com/Hella%20Head ... dules.aspx

Someone posted this in another thread. They are real headlights and come with adjustable bracketry

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 1:23 am 

I'm using a set of R1 headlights... There all setup for adjustment, and there sealed. I'm going to glass a mount onto the bottom/backs of each housing. Don't know how this would look on a locost as its going on my custom middy.

FYI though, not all motorcycle lights will work. Example being the R6. One side is the high beam, and one side is the low beam. This won't work on a car lol. Where as the R1 has a high and low in each headlight.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 8:53 pm 

I want to make custom shackels for the rear of my truck and was wondering how hard and how strong they would be if i cut the stock ones and made them a flip version?

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 1:23 am 

I think your best option would be to go junk yard hunting. It seems like alot of Mk2 VW owners pull units out of BMWs in junk yards to make their own projector housings.