LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Proximity alarm
PostPosted: June 18, 2010, 8:38 pm 

geofffinlay wrote:
blue devil - I didn't suggest that I would waste my time looking for information on stolen/recovered se7ens. Why would I? I'm not involved in those statistics. If I was to do a search on high-volume stolen cars - Your suggestions - Camry, Corolla, Ram, Neon, etc. wouldn't be too high on that list. Here's the top 10 stolen cars in 2008.

1. 2000 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
2. 1999 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
3. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STi 4-door AWD
4. 1995 Dodge/Plymouth Grand Caravan/Voyager
5. 1995 Dodge/Plymouth Caravan/Voyager
6. 2002 Acura RSX Type S 2-door
7. 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster
8. 1995 Acura Integra 2-door
9. 1996 Dodge/Plymouth Neon 2-door
10. 1996 Dodge/Plymouth Neon 4-door

Geoff

I'd be interested in a more general breakdown, since a consolidated list would give 3 more spots on it-1/2, 4/5, 9/10.

I'd like a bigger list, too. For instance how many of each were stolen? What's special about 2004 subaru's compared to 2003 or 2005? Etc etc.

I knew a guy who had his engine/transmission stolen. He had just put a honda b18c5, an integra type r engine in his civic. He wakes up, gets in his car to go to school. Tries to start it. No sound. He pops the hood, to find his cv shafts cut in half, and the hoses and wire harness snipped. They lifted the engine/transmission straight out. :lol:

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 9:05 am 

dilbert wrote:
I would wonder if there is some way that you can mount up a digital camera so that it'll also take a picture of the drivers face when a certain switch is flipped. Have a fake switch in the dash labeled 'start' or just whenever the car is started it fires an email/picture text of the driver.

If you're going that far, you might as well wire up the camera shutter to the seat-pressure switch from an airbag cutout circuit (or, for that matter, a riding mower if you want to really stay true to the Locost ethic :D). Of course, then you have to find a way to hide the camera in a position that would capture the perp's face, and if you have to shoot in a low-light situation you might just give the game away with the flash. Hmmm...perhaps a camera that can detect wavelengths into the IR spectrum would work.... :lol:

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 9:11 am 

dhempy wrote:
http://www.GlobalFox.net

Anybody know anything about these? Specs look enticing, initial cost is reasonable, can't find any details about support costs.

Very little showing up in Google searches, and the site just seems a little scammy. Doesn't help that I first heard about them in a spam.

Anyone?
-dave

Dave,

No experience with them personally, but a WHOIS lookup of their domain puts a name and a US address to the same phone number listed on the "Contact Us" page of the site. The domain was registered in '05, which seems (to me, anyway) like a long time for a scammer to still be in business if he's not legit. Have you tried a Better Business Bureau search? They might be able to tell you if there have been any legal or other consumer complaints lodged against the company.

Good luck! That looks like a pretty slick piece of hardware.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 9:31 am 

in addition to a battery cut off switch and plans to add a switch to the fuel pump .. I put a Grant Security System on my steering column .. remove the wheel and the security plate is bolted in its place.

http://www.grantproducts.com/c-107-vehi ... urity.aspx

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 4:13 pm 

spring loaded pins mounted inside the bottom cushion wired up to subwoofer power capacitors and a pwm.... i wonder if i would have to get new seatcovers?

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 7:26 am 

oldejack wrote:
spring loaded pins mounted inside the bottom cushion wired up to subwoofer power capacitors and a pwm.... i wonder if i would have to get new seatcovers?

I am already thinking about installing grommets a la the GT40.... :mrgreen: