LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stellar Uprights
PostPosted: September 7, 2005, 11:28 pm 
I have decided to use the Stellar uprights that I've read about here and with any luck find a source for them in Canada that will ship to the US. I'm assuming that the same car has disc brakes and would like to use them as well along with the seals and bearings. That leaves the rack to deal with as far as the front of the car is concerned. Do you good folks have any ideas? My build will be 4" wider then the book car so the diff will have to accomodate the entended chassis width. Anyone building a car alond these dimensions? Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 12:05 am 

I can probably get you some Stellar uprights - the local scrappy had some last weekend. Actually David H has some extra - email him at slopesoar4fun -at- yahoo.ca - he even has a doc on how to use Toyota Corolla GTS brake on the Stellar spindle - http://www.locostusa.com/yahoo/GTS%20Hu ... ev%201.doc

Let me know.

I'm using Stellar uprights. For a +4 the Stellar rack would work as well maybe 2nd generation Rx-7, Miata, etc.

The specs on the Stellar front brakes are:

Twin piston caliper
disk diameter: 247.5 mm or 9.74"

I have the workshop manual so let me know if you want any pages scanned.

The bolt pattern is 4x108mm or 4x4.25" - you could use some of the 80s Mustang rear ends. Shares bolt pattern with Focus/Contour/Tempo for some nice light rims.

Last edited by Anonymous on November 19, 2005, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 2:29 pm 
Thanks so much for the info on the uprights Dave. Can the Stellar discs be used as well ? I would like to keep the front suspension and stearing from the Hyundai donor. Maybe use the column as well ? Please let me know about the uprights. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 2:40 pm 

yeah the Stellar discs can be used. I'm using them - they are solid discs. I'm likely going to use Hyundai Pony rear axle is its narrower. The Stellar rear end looks perfert for a +4 as well as the steering rack. The column looks ok too but I haven't spent too much time to check it out. In fact for a +4 the Stellar could be a one donor solution if you don't mind that the engine only makes 75hp. Otherwise any Mitsu motor bolts up to the tranny including the 4G63T. How close to Canada are you? Might be worth importing a whole car for parts.

PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 3:46 pm 
I live in California Dave, so importing that many parts would probably be rather expensive. If I can get the complete front end I could most likely use a Toyota drive train. Using the Hyundai front end would allow me to mount everything per the book. Engine and rear end mounting should not be that difficult. In my way of thinking the front suspension and stearing location pose the biggest concern. If you could check into those items for me I would be very grateful. Of course I would pay you for the parts and if you are ever in my neck of the woods me and mine could offer you a great BBQ and a long neck. Thanks again.

LBurnash

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30, 2005, 9:36 pm 
I am located in Canada and using the Stellar uprights, my first choice for a donor was a 72 Capri which my wife ownde since new. You should have a number of these in California. The bolt pattern is the same as the Stellar and the differential should be just what you are looking for in width.
I am not using the diff or drive line as a came across a wounded Toyota Corolla GTS. The steering shaft and rack from the Capri should also suit your needs. They came with either a 2.3 litre Pinto engine, or a 2.6 or 2.8 litre V6 of German ancestry (historic note; the V6 was derived from a V4 oringinally designed for the prototype 2 seat MUSTANG, thats all from me.

PostPosted: November 19, 2005, 10:59 pm 
For Sale:

Complete set of front spindles, hubs, rotors and callipers from a 1986 Hyundai Stellar. These are identical to the book spindles, as they are identical to the Cortina's.

Please contact me off list: slopesoar4fun ----a-t----- yahoo.ca

David H
Calgary