LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 6:11 pm 

Randy - PM sent

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 6:40 pm 

Replied - good question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 8:31 pm 

Randy, the Horiz. numbers are from centerline and the vert are up from the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:30 am 

OK, so I have played a bit in wishbone, and the numbers look pretty good. I want to take a snap shot of the wishbone data and post it here, how do I do that?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:18 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
OK, so I have played a bit in wishbone, and the numbers look pretty good. I want to take a snap shot of the wishbone data and post it here, how do I do that?

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,
push the "Print Scrn" button up by the F12 key and then open up the MS paint program. Now click "Edit" and pull down to "Paste" and it should paste a screenshot. crop and resize as needed and then save it as a Jpeg file. You can then attach it to your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:30 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

The easiest way I've found is to hit Alt-PrintScreen. That copies the currently open window to the clipboard. Then paste it into something that can save an image...Paint Shop Pro, Photo Shop, even Paint. Then save it as a .jpg or .gif, and attach that file to your post.

BTW, I AM going to follow up on this thread and post my dimensions. I have not abandoned the cause! I've got it built, except for mounting the steering rack. Commentary and pix on pages 7 an 8 of: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2741

My current design can't get the rack in the ideal position for bump-steer. I'm leaning toward running with it and fixing it if it actually proves to be a problem (I don't think it will be), or moving the outer tie rod ends above the steering arm on the spindle. We'll see.

I'm also all constipated over the shocks. I'm about ready to chuck my pushrod ideas and just order some custom shocks mounted out where they belong. We'll see.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 11:04 am 

dhempy wrote:
The easiest way I've found is to hit Alt-PrintScreen. That copies the currently open window to the clipboard. Then paste it into something that can save an image...Paint Shop Pro, Photo Shop, even Paint. Then save it as a .jpg or .gif, and attach that file to your post.

BTW, I AM going to follow up on this thread and post my dimensions. I have not abandoned the cause! I've got it built, except for mounting the steering rack. Commentary and pix on pages 7 an 8 of: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2741

My current design can't get the rack in the ideal position for bump-steer. I'm leaning toward running with it and fixing it if it actually proves to be a problem (I don't think it will be), or moving the outer tie rod ends above the steering arm on the spindle. We'll see.

I'm also all constipated over the shocks. I'm about ready to chuck my pushrod ideas and just order some custom shocks mounted out where they belong. We'll see.

-dave

The biggest problem I have with bumpsteer is the fact that the Miata rack cannot be shortened enough to completely eliminate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 11:18 am 

OK, here's the info I have, but it is tough to read. When I resize it to mak it larger, then try to paste it to paint, it isn't there. I'm going to keep working at it.

Are the steering pick up points correct?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 1:04 pm 

Randy,
I can't read that. For the numbers I listed in my earlier post, in 7 degrees of caster, the steering arm pivot should be located 9.1" up from the ground, 26.7" from chassis centerline, and 4.125" in front of the lower ball joint.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 1:19 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
OK, here's the info I have, but it is tough to read. When I resize it to mak it larger, then try to paste it to paint, it isn't there. I'm going to keep working at it.

Are the steering pick up points correct?

Thanks,
Randy

FYI: If you hit alt and the print screen button at the same time it should only copy the window that is the working window (blue in the title bar).

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 1:48 pm 

I'm using a laptop that has a Fn key to use the PrtSc function, so the alt doesn't seem to work when using the other two keys at the same time.

I may have to download wishbone to the desktop to get this stuff up on the thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 3:43 pm 

Randy if Alt & PrtScr doesn't do the job for you, then you could try one of the tools listed here:

http://www.subhub.com/articles/free-scr ... e-software

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 9:28 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

RandyBMC wrote:
I'm using a laptop that has a Fn key to use the PrtSc function, so the alt doesn't seem to work when using the other two keys at the same time.

I may have to download wishbone to the desktop to get this stuff up on the thread...

Bummer...

You can take the full-screen screen shot into any image editing program, and crop it down to the wishbone window. Or just post the whole desktop image in full size.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 11:40 pm 

OK, I think this will work. Now I have some questions. As you can see, there is no caster. Do you set the caster by changing the X axis for the control arm mounts? Not sure how to do that. Also, the instantaneous center is way off laterally - am I reading that right? How do the steering ball joints and mounts look?

Thanks!
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 12:00 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
That's more likely a combination of not enough caster with zero or even worse, toe out in the front. If you design with some usable caster - 5 to 9 degrees or so - then you should still be able to use a neutral toe or even a little toe out for very quick turn in.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Thanks Randy; me too! I've cranked in more and more caster each time I drive it...I'm up to about 10 degrees. I want to keep at zero toe if I can (since high fuel economy is the goal on this 'un) but I may try a tiny bit of toe in--it's plenty quick on turn entry as is. But still I wonder what the effect of more scrub might be. I've less scrub than the donor Toyota Corrola 'cause my kingpin inclination grew when I modified the struts to take ball joints...I'm wondering if that might be my problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next