LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 11:36 am 

cheapracer wrote:
For a comparison a Lotus Elise is 1600lbs (650 fr/950 rear) and ideally runs around 25/28 and they would be one of the lowest pressures for a production car in the world, I happen to know that Smart's are 29psi all round (they are also 1600lbs but would be softer sprung and higher sidewall than a Lotus).
[/quote]

Keep in mind, the front tires on an elise are an 80 load rating (looked it up on Tirerack) which translates to 992 lbs at their max pressure of 44psi. They also have to allow for the downforce the Elise crates at speed.

Smarts come with 74 and 77 (827lbs and 908lbs respectively).

I'm also not sure if there's an absolute minimum inflation for a tire regardless of weight. I do know what happens when one is run too low for a while, and it is not pretty. Turns the inside of the sidewalls to dust and crumbs.

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 11:44 am 

FireStorm005 wrote:
I'm also not sure if there's an absolute minimum inflation for a tire regardless of weight. I do know what happens when one is run too low for a while, and it is not pretty. Turns the inside of the sidewalls to dust and crumbs.

More pragmatically, since most of us don't do lots of miles nor are we often racing out vehicles.... When you have an under-inflated tire, a good bump/pothole is much more likely to destroy both tire and rim. My experience as a long-distance cyclist taught me that.

When there are tire issues in NASCAR, the reason most often is either that the teams are running the pressures too low, or they've got the camber such that the tire is running down the front stretch on the side wall.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.