LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 6:10 pm 

I have had to make some tweaks to my rear control arms (shortened slightly) and now my track width has changed (duh). My question is what are the handling effects of having a wider front track than rear assuming that i am using the same size tires at all corners (205/50/16). I have some room for adjustment in the rear so I am trying to find the best balance. Currently i have 58.5" front track width at -1.5* and 55" rear at 2.1* but i can adjust to 56". I might be able to go to 56.75" but the amount of plunge of the half shaft will be the limiting factor. All figures are at full droop in case that matters.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 8:15 pm 

Typically you want a narrower track in the rear. I accomplished this with wider rear tires with the same outside width. Most performance cars such as Porsche now come wider at the front track than the rear. My track width is rather wide at 62" Front and 58" rear which is 72" outside width on both the front and rear. Wheels are 10" Front and 14" rears.

I would not worry about it, if you want to even it up you could buy big fat wheels for the rear to get the same overall width, if you get custom ones you can match the outside size exactly by changing the offset.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 12:18 am 

My front track is wider than the rear and I haven't had any issues in 5 years.

Al

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 7:56 am 

Al, how much wider is your front track compared to the rear? Mine will be 2" wider in front

I don't plan to buy new wheels and tires, it is easier and cheaper to build new lower control arms to change the track width of the front. i checked and the MR would be about the same so I won't be creating any negative affects if i change them.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 8:10 am 

You could always add a bolt on style spacer if you're that worried about it.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 8:21 am 

Gavin,
some cars are designed with a wider front track. It provides a wider stance on corner entry; think of the opposite, like a kid's tricycle tipping on corner entry. Although many other design considerations will factor in, but in your case, I would be surprised if you would notice anything. Mine has about 1.75" more track width at the front, not because I'm a brilliant designer, but the wheel didn't clear the upper BJ, so I needed spacers. :BH:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 10:50 am 

Mnot wrote:
Al, how much wider is your front track compared to the rear? Mine will be 2" wider in front

Mnot, my front track is just under 2 inches wider than my rear track.

Al

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 10:54 am 

Watch what happens when your front track is a whole bunch wider than your rear track as it is in the Morgan 3 wheeler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-4IKUntko

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 8:45 pm 

I believe it's pretty common to have slightly larger track at front, and you're probably just fine with things as they'll be. However, you can also alter the track at front and rear by switching to wheels (rims) that have different back spacing. Of course, that assumes you have enough clearance to do so. And, you'll have to buy new wheels, but it may be an option for you if you decide there's an issue.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 11, 2016, 4:50 pm 

raceral wrote:

Al

Dang, you've been on the road for 5 years now. Pretty sure I started before you. :cry:

PostPosted: May 11, 2016, 5:22 pm 

Trochu wrote:
raceral wrote:

Al

Dang, you've been on the road for 5 years now. Pretty sure I started before you. :cry:

My June 2007 start date to your Aug 2009 indicates I maybe had a slight head start :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: May 11, 2016, 6:20 pm 

Mnot wrote:
I have had to make some tweaks to my rear control arms (shortened slightly) and now my track width has changed (duh). My question is what are the handling effects of having a wider front track than rear assuming that i am using the same size tires at all corners (205/50/16). I have some room for adjustment in the rear so I am trying to find the best balance. Currently i have 58.5" front track width at -1.5* and 55" rear at 2.1* but i can adjust to 56". I might be able to go to 56.75" but the amount of plunge of the half shaft will be the limiting factor. All figures are at full droop in case that matters.

If you were to measure track at the centerline of the tread back and front of any formula car there is a huge difference in track width. I read somewhere years ago that it was an easy way to eliminated understeer.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: May 14, 2016, 9:30 am 

I adjusted the rear to the widest point that I am comfortable with the half-shaft not coming apart from the tulip. That said, it is just shy of 56". The hard part of this whole project is looking at numbers and guessing how it will translate to performance and feel. I understand that wider front track will reduce/eliminate understeer but how much oversteer will it promote? I am not planning to build a drift car :). I also read that lots of performance road cars have wider front track simply because the rear tires are wider and thus because the measurement is to the middle of the tires it is "narrower" than the front even though the outside is even with the fronts.

I am considering remaking the FLCA's and designing some adjustment into them (rod ends) as that is the one element in my whole suspension that is not adjustable and now i am kicking myself for it :BH:

PostPosted: May 14, 2016, 10:08 am 
Locostering Legend

I passed a Smart ForTwo on the freeway yesterday and noticed the difference in track widths. Front = 50.5". Rear = 54.5". It's very noticeable.

Naming this car "smart" is the best example of an oxymoron, especially since its CG is 29" off the pavement and tips over unless it has stability control.