LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 9:57 pm 

Hi guys,

I recently bought a half-finished locost rolling chassis. I think I will have to replace the rear trailing arms because the current ones are a bit too short and the rear shocks are almost perpenticular to the ground. I need a little longer ones. I am thinking if it is possible to use aftermarket trailing arm parts for 4x4s. Use bushing rod ends and aluminum hex rods. and then the arm would be length adjustable. Good idea or not? I have never seen people doing that on a locost. Also, can you use sphere rod ends instead of bushing? I feel like the sphere rod ends would be pretty neat but it allows lateral movement for the solid axle, which is not good... Any opinion or suggestion?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by yuta on September 6, 2016, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 10:22 pm 
The voice of reason

More pictures! Can't comment on what we don't see. In no case should the simple trailing arms be what provides lateral location. You need a panhard rod or some type of transverse locating device....

Start a build log to help you finish this car.... Plenty of people will be happy to help. Several pictures of the front and rear suspension would be good and if the motor is installed maybe a little of that too.

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 11:17 pm 

I don't use 4x4 parts for mine, but I did use hex aluminum rods for my 4 link bars. They are solid 3/4" hex, and i got them from a Peterbilt dealership. They're originally from the clutch linkage on a truck. I cut them to the length I needed and rethreaded the cut end. They're threaded 1/2 NF left on on one end and right on the other. I used him joints for my pivots. Marcus is right, there should be a panhard bar or something similar for sideways location, not just the bushings in the 4 link bars.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 7, 2016, 11:20 am 

yuta wrote:
Hi guys,

I recently bought a half-finished locost rolling chassis. I think I will have to replace the rear trailing arms because the current ones are a bit too short and the rear shocks are almost perpenticular (sp) to the ground.

That's actually a goal of the original design and probably just fine.

yuta wrote:
I am thinking if it is possible to use aftermarket trailing arm parts for 4x4s. Use bushing rod ends and aluminum hex rods. and then the arm would be length adjustable. Good idea or not? I have never seen people doing that on a locost.

There are lighter parts available from a number of suppliers, like the ones below. They're not that expensive.
Attachment:
Suspension Parts.jpg

yuta wrote:
Also, can you use sphere rod ends instead of bushing? I feel like the sphere rod ends would be pretty neat but it allows lateral movement for the solid axle, which is not good... Any opinion or suggestion?

Yes, see above photo. There are advantages to using both with the bushings at front and the rode ends at rear. As Marcus (horizenjob) said, you need a lateral locator. There are several options, but the Panhard rod is the simpliest and most versitile.

As Kristian (turbo_bird) indicated, you can fab your own if you have the skills and motivation.

Congratulations on getting the chassis and welcome to the zoo.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 7, 2016, 12:29 pm 

Don't forget to run a diagonal supporting piece between the outer edge of the chassis mount to the vertical frame member. This is a common failure spot.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 7, 2016, 4:00 pm 

Like this, but with maybe slightly cleaner welds.
Attachment:
reargussets.jpg