LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 10:38 am 
Always Moore!

Sam_68 wrote:
But perhaps I'm simply expecting to much of a nation where large parts of the populace aren't willing to accept Darwin's Theory of Evolution, that global warming isn't really happening, or that it isn't a really dumb idea to invite Donald Trump to run their country? Maybe Flat Earth Theory and 2-dimensional suspension analysis merely add to the suite of national mass idiocy?

And your country elected to no longer help Germany financially prop up the rest of the EU. What's your point? We're talking suspension - not taking cheap shots.

I'd typically close the thread at this point but it's been a good enough discussion that I really hate to do so. Please cut it out and keep it civilized.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 10:43 am 

a.moore wrote:

I'd typically close the thread at this point but it's been a good enough discussion that I really hate to do so. Please cut it out and keep it civilized.

Agree.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 10:49 am 

Sam Is Right! I am trying to draw him out in any way I can. He has some brains and just won't share, dammit.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 10:55 am 

I agree this has been a very informative and sometimes entertaining thread but sam you have stepped over a line with that one and shown everyone how much of an ignorant schoolyard bully you are.
If you cant explain/argue without getting into personal or national insults you have no place here as far as I am concerned.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 11:00 am 

Bobber wrote:
Sam Is Right! I am trying to draw him out in any way I can. He has some brains and just won't share, dammit.

yes but that doesn't make you a troll.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Sams original comical roll statement does by definition but we all ignore that since it has started a good conversation. :cheers:

But this has digressed enough. Moving on.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 11:51 am 

Yes, moving on.

In my last post with pictures, I found the rotational force on the front end and the corresponding resisting roll moment. Now we have them at both ends and can determine how much weight we want to transfer longitudinally. I think it's all there.

I especially would like a critique on Exhibit 5.

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 12:49 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
the roll centre would drift off to one side and downward, but then go 'over centre' and magically leap way from one side of the car to the other, moving several inches vertically as it did so.

This car example gives you a correlation, but not a causation. I think the vertical movement of several inches is a huge issue, but it does not also point the finger at the lateral movement. The lateral movement may also be an issue, but it may not be a root way of looking at it. In order for your prior statements to be true, you must show that all lateral movements cause bad results.

If I look at things like the line of force from the contact patches, sometimes lateral movement of the roll center indicates bad things, but sometimes it does not. Vertical movement always indicates bad things, not only the angles of the force lines but also the magnitude of the moments.

In order to make blanket statements about lateral roll center movement, you need to describe the problems with a simple case like a roll center at ground 100 meters to the side of the car...

PostPosted: November 28, 2016, 1:48 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
...so he's posting what he thinks are cleverly crafted but deliberately provocative arguments and comments to try to entice me into giving a fuller explanation
What a 'clever' mind, to so deftly avoid being 'tricked' into such atrocities. :roll:

Sam68 wrote:
...But perhaps I'm simply expecting to much of a nation where large parts of the populace aren't willing to accept Darwin's Theory of Evolution, that global warming isn't really happening, or that it isn't a really dumb idea to invite Donald Trump to run their country? Maybe Flat Earth Theory and 2-dimensional suspension analysis merely add to the suite of national mass idiocy?
Well, at least now nobody can dispute your mastery of what a 'troll' is. :rofl:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 6:39 am 

a.moore wrote:
Sam_68 wrote:
But perhaps I'm simply expecting to much of a nation where large parts of the populace aren't willing to accept Darwin's Theory of Evolution, that global warming isn't really happening, or that it isn't a really dumb idea to invite Donald Trump to run their country? Maybe Flat Earth Theory and 2-dimensional suspension analysis merely add to the suite of national mass idiocy?

And your country elected to no longer help Germany financially prop up the rest of the EU. What's your point?

My point, as you've so very elegantly demonstrated by your example, is that there's a difference between doggedly supporting a concept that's blatantly dumb, and cutting your losses and looking for a better way of doing things.

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 12:30 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
difference between doggedly supporting a concept that's blatantly dumb, and cutting your losses and looking for a better way of doing things.

Add yet you just continue with the same wearisome approach to interacting with people on this forum. Insult, if that didn't work more insults... All the while being unable to articulate or demonstrate even rudimentary support for your position outside of you once drove a car with so many problems you considered it a danger to life as we know it.

I think the dumb concept here is your choice in how you make a technical case for your point of view...

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 5:02 pm 

Most sensible post in the whole thread:

KB58 wrote:
The fact that Lotus/Caterham/Locost cars handle well seems to indicate that either:
1. The designers fully understand roll centers.
2. It just doesn't matter that much.

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 5:04 pm 

i am still waiting to see the caterham suspension geometry. anyone have it?

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 7:18 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
i am still waiting to see the caterham suspension geometry. anyone have it?

You can look for a paper that was published by Lotus engineering for an update they did on the Caterham car. I don't think I have a copy. You can see that their front suspension uses arms a little more nearly parallel than some, but they are not equal length. Perhaps not unlike the advice you got from Palatov...

Back to roll centers. I don't have any trouble thinking cars are 3d problems, I do struggle to see how you cannot demonstrate the issues with 2d diagrams though. If nothing is changing in the 2d diagrams, one would think the 3d problems are not changing either. How would you even determine a roll axis without doing a 2d drawing to find the roll centers?

I am also curious how one determines that the Mitchel software rolls the car about a central point at ground level. I can imagine the car is displayed that way, but that's not the same thing. Is the ride height incorrect?

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 7:34 pm 

I assuming by the responses, the caterham roll centers move quite a bit latterly correct?

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 2:01 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
I assuming by the responses, the caterham roll centers move quite a bit latterly correct?

Wrong.

The rear roll centre on the Caterham is pretty much fixed at the centre of the A-frame that locates the de Dion, of course.

The analysis that Horizonjob refers to states that the front roll centre migration on the original design was 0.9mm (that's three and a half thousandths of an inch, to you guys - and you can be sure that that didn't happen by accident!). It doesn't quote a figure for the finalised geometry on the updated (CSR) design, but states that target was <10mm and refers to a couple of design options that achieve 3.6 and 4.1mm respectively (call it 1/6") at maximum roll.

Last edited by Sam_68 on December 1, 2016, 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next