LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24, 2016, 3:55 pm 

Hello guys!

I recently was given an almost brand new set of coil-overs made my strange engineering (single adjustment). They have 150 lb QA1 springs (will need to change)

The only thing is that two of the coils are 18" eye to eye and the other two are 19.5" eye to eye. I can make these work by reworking and relocating mounts on my car, but is it worth it and will it work? I know i'll need to look at how much movement they give me and i'll need to avoid any bumps, but is it worth going to the trouble, or just try to sell these and buy correct ones?

Currently i'm running stock miata struts in the rear and r1 shocks in the front.

They look like this: Image

PostPosted: October 24, 2016, 8:09 pm 

They appear to be around $170 per shock which is an ok/entry level set of shocks. The eye to eye is ideal for going inboard. I like a larger shock as they have more oil, which generally relates to better control over the wheel.
http://www.strangeengineering.net/produ ... er-shocks/
The decision is really up to you. How much work would it be to install them? What do you use that car for? How old are your current shocks. Shocks typically start to deteriorate after 50,000miles ish if yours are new maybe keep them, if they have 200,000 miles and no fluid then change them.

A simple test for shocks is put them on the softest and physically move them through the range. Then put them on the stiffest setting and repeat. On a good shock you should notice a big difference in the settings.

Spring rate is not that relevant so make sure you calculate your wheel rate before you start buying new springs.

As a comparison my Penske double adjustable shocks were about $600 each #becauseracecar. http://www.gazshocks.com/ are great shocks and are totally customizable at a much more reasonable price.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: October 24, 2016, 8:56 pm 

I've talked with more than one crew chief in more than one type of auto racing who took off the racing shocks prior to transport. 'Cause they figured that the expensive shocks didn't need the wear and tear when the car bounced in the back of the hauler. You wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but was assured that they were taking no chances.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 24, 2016, 11:43 pm 

Well i'm still working on making a custom aerodynamic fiberglass body on the car, so I will not be driving it for at least 2-3 more months. Currently, i'm running an outboard setup on the front end and a stock miata subframe in the rear. It isn't too much work to revamp and make an inboard set up in the front, but i'll have to take a look and see what kind of space i am working with in the rear.

My current shocks in the rear are blown since they were off the donor vehicle and I was planning on replacing once the car was ready for the roads. So I think it may be worth using these instead of spending money on replacement rear shocks..

I'll take your suggestion and try to play around with the settings and see if I notice a big difference.

The car will be a daily/occasional track duty for the first year at least and then we'll see where it goes after I build my next one :lol: