LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 1, 2016, 4:07 pm 

Not crazy expensive though. I would perfer some that has an external reservoir and maybe double adjustable? ?

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: November 1, 2016, 7:52 pm 
Always Moore!

mjalaly wrote:
Not crazy expensive

mjalaly wrote:
external reservoir and maybe double adjustable

If you drew a Venn diagram of what you're looking for I think you'd have two separate circles. ;)

The best cheap ones I've found are the Gaz coilovers but they're only single adjustable. Jack was selling them at one point - not sure if he still is. Spoke with my car's current owner a few days ago and the set I originally installed is still working fine.

Short of getting something better used, I don't think you have a much cheaper option. You seem to have access to tools that can make precision parts so rolling the dice on used double adjustables may not be a horrible option - if nothing else you can make whatever rebuild parts you can't buy. Not sure what sort of travel you need but maybe make an ad over on Apexspeed?

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 10:24 am 

yeah you are right on the venn diagram thing. It looks like you can get double adjustable ones at a good price from Strange and Vari shock.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 12:18 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

QA1 has double-adjustable shocks but aren't remote reservoir.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 12:19 pm 

QA1's as far as i understand are not very good nor really double adjustable.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 2:12 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Then he's back to two separate circles.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 2:46 pm 

Food for thought from Far North Racing.

Far North Racing wrote:
Amazingly, save those brands mentioned in that earlier list, this was a non-stop parade of horror, including, but not limited to:

1. Adjusters that did absolutely nothing;
2. Adjusters that had more crosstalk effect than they had primary effect (ie, a rebound adjuster where 1 click made a 10% change in rebound and a 30% change in compression);
3. Adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential;
4. Adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range (in one example, "full hard" was softer than "full soft")
5. Shimstacks assembled upside-down;
6. Sets of shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged;
7. Shocks valved with forces that were insane (1600 lbs/in @ 3 in/sec was the record);
8. Shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike;
9. Shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting, depending on if you got there by going harder or softer; and
10. Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)
Note that more than half of the stated problems revolve around adjusters.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 2:53 pm 

darn.... I think i can get a koni double adjustable for $400. Penske 7800's are a bit more at $575ea

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 3:15 pm 

Have you considered letting the experts at a shock company help you spec out damping rates on a set of non-adjustable revalvable shocks?

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 3:29 pm 

slightly more complicated than that. I am consulting for another company who wants to put an adjustable shock on their "track" car version as an upgrade and I figured i would address mine too. From their survey people want to see double adjustable shocks on their "track" car even though most people wont even touch them.

I think my front koni's (rebound adj) are too stiff and i am at the lowest setting so i want a bit more adjust ability so i can play with them.

Personally, coming from experience on my mt bike that has a 4way adjustable shock, its a total pain in the ass to mess with. I prefer just rebound adjustable. I couldn't imagine it on a car where there are 4 shocks to adjust.

I originally told them to spec some Penske shocks out but they were a bit too pricey. So i figured i would see what the community had run across.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 3:34 pm 

My GAZ shocks have lasted a long time, and adjustability is good, although you can't adjust bump and rebound separately. I've had good luck taming transition oversteer at autocross by cranking the fronts all the way up, but that's about the only experience I've had with adjusting them. I got them from Dennis Brunton through Jack, so presumably these are what Stalkers use.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 3:51 pm 

If you're not married to the remote canister, maybe look into the new(ish) Bilstein AS2 (ASN successor) with the optional double adjustable shaft?

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 3:53 pm 

nope. Not married to the canister and i pretty much wrote it off. The AS2 is on my list but i cant find pricing anywhere with the double adjustable shaft. Fos is also on the list.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 5:34 pm 

I have the 7800 Penske double adjustable shocks in the rear (still saving for the fronts). Guy Ankeny (guy@frsport.com) set them up for me he builds them for your car and dyno tunes them for you which is included in the $575 per shock without springs. Guy is the go to person for all autocrossers, he will need your desired length, travel, weight, spring rate, spring ID size plus a load of other info.

I am very happy with the shocks the quality is, I superb and highly recommend them. Once you get you hands on them you can see why they cost more. They are also easily rebuildable so you could make changes or send them off to be revalved if needed.

When purchasing then I also looked at the triple adjustable AST shocks which were a similar price as the Penske double. After speaking to lots of knowledgable racers they all told me to go with the Penske Shocks.

Edit: the stalkers use the Gaz shocks for there base setup and the Penske Doubles with remote canister for the hardcore version.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 10:30 pm 

Ohlins

Fox

Works?