LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10, 2017, 10:37 pm 

so im in the planning stage for my locost 7 book build i plan to do my build without a donor car and source parts online and from junkyards (mainly rear diff and engine) building my own tubular control arms from and back but ive been all over ebay and cant seem to find the style springs i keep seeing on your guys builds

ive only come across some coilovers for a baja bug that looks like it would work but no idea how soft/hard they are and possibly to much travel

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 2:05 am 

Not the ideal but more than adequate. Yamaha 03-05 R6S YZFR6S shocks are plentiful on eBay. This is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-YAMAHA-YZ ... R9&vxp=mtr

Try to find a seller with more than one. Saves on shipping.

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 3:34 am 

A few builders have used GAZ coilovers, including me. Jack at Kinetic sells them, and he's on the board here, plus an all around good guy. Others have used QA1 coilovers, which I think you can get from places like summit or Speedway.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 8:51 am 

You should really consider getting a donor vehicle. There are hundreds of little parts that you will need. Plus they will up cost and arm and leg to buy one at a time. Finally there is the wait time for the small item that is back ordered, that you need to finish the next task in the build. It will still happen, just less frequent.
The GAZ small body shock makes packaging easier on the rear [solid] axle.
I'm using Spax on the front end.
Dave W

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 9:07 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

QA1 double-adjustables here.

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 11:20 am 

I'm planning on 'circle track' shocks. Probably QA1 82 or 62 series threaded aluminum body twin tube, but possibly the 16 series threaded aluminum body mono-tube. I'm looking at those in part because they're probably the best bang for the buck in racer-rebuildable shocks, and I want to play with tuning the damping curve eventually...Yeah, I know...I'm weird like that. Alternatively, if I decide to go mono-tube, I am also still considering Bilstein ASB or ASN as well.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 9:08 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Not the ideal but more than adequate. Yamaha 03-05 R6S YZFR6S shocks are plentiful on eBay. This is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-YAMAHA-YZ ... R9&vxp=mtr

Try to find a seller with more than one. Saves on shipping.

thats perfect for my build and cost effective thanks. I've seen the gaz & Qa1 mentioned on there many times but they are to expensive for my blood

havent decided between a hayabusa engine (tho ive yet to figure out cc rotating drive shaft), sr20det, ca18det, 4age(carbed but trans no idea) or just going good ol american 305,327,350 but trans tunnel is tiny so dunno

PostPosted: May 12, 2017, 2:22 am 

I haven't followed pricing and availability lately, but if you're considering motorcycle shocks, Hayabusa shocks have one of the better combinations of spring rate and travel. The main drawback vs others is that the remote reservoir sits sideways compared to the typical orientation, such that it has the potential to cause additional clearance problems depending on implementation. MC shocks in general also require more aggressive motion ratios than would typically be considered 'ideal'.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 12, 2017, 8:57 am 

Gaz shocks here, been very happy with them, they have a wide range of adjustment, so on the softest level they are plush, but on full hard then are kidney killers. Even for track days I only run them 8 clicks off full hard. You should never underestimate the effect of good shocks, they make a huge difference. Modern motorcycle shocks are very sophisticated so converting them to a 7 would probably give you the bast dollar value for a quality shock.

Graham

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 11:24 pm 

This is genius! Motor cycle shocks? You could double up.

PostPosted: July 12, 2017, 11:38 pm 

Blang87 wrote:
so im in the planning stage for my locost 7 book build i plan to do my build without a donor car and source parts online and from junkyards (mainly rear diff and engine) building my own tubular control arms from and back but ive been all over ebay and cant seem to find the style springs i keep seeing on your guys builds

Ive only come across some coilovers for a baja bug that looks like it would work but no idea how soft/hard they are and possibly to much travel

In the small 1-7/8' coilers there are only a couple to choose from, QA1, Gaz, Bilstien, and Cararra (from Speedway). They all run from $650-$850 a set. If theres more I haven't seen them. Short stroke in the 5-7" range. Ive been looking a lot trying to skin that cat. Its a lot easier to spend $2k than less.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 9:48 am 

KB58 wrote:
QA1 double-adjustables here.

You got those to work? We dynoed a few and they were all over the place. looks like the shim stack wasn't consistent. Once that was fixed they were good to go.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 6:46 pm 

I have Penske Double adjustable in the rear and will have them in the front when funds are available. They are expensive at a little over $2000 a set but they are custom made to your car come with shock dynos etc. They can be re-valved or rebuilt fairly easily.

I guess it depends what you want out of the car and what your budget is. They are top of the line and the custom ones that we use are actually about half the cost of the same set for a specific street car.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558