LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 6, 2017, 2:23 pm 

Hi Guys,

I been studying the 442e chasis and information on the web on how to this project. I realize that by using the Miata rear axel/suspension from a donor car, the stock 442e chassis design would need some modification. Is this correct? If so, then what was the 442e chassis based on where the chassis didnt require modification. Sorry if I ask any silly questions, I am quite green at this stuff.

PostPosted: December 6, 2017, 7:29 pm 

I'm not aware that the 442e plans were modified for an independent rear suspension type of design such as using the Miata rear. The 442e is an extension of the "Book" plans which requires a solid rear axle ("live rear" configuration.)

If you want to use a Miata suspension you need to modify the plans yourself. One way to do this would be to use the Voodou plans and "stretch" the rear out from 44" to 48".

There may be someone out there that modified the 442e plans to accommodate the Miata IRS and will let you know.

The Voodou plans can be found in the link below.

Cheers,
Roy

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16942

PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 2:33 pm 

What would be a recommended donor car with the 442e chassis then? Would a miata still work, but I would have to source a solid rear axle? If this is correct, are there plans for the suspension mounting, etc?

I am looking at my options since I want as straight forward as a build as I can make.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 12:18 pm 

Quote:
I am looking at my options since I want as straight forward as a build as I can make.

"Straight forward" is not a phrase that is used much on this site. Seriously though, I guess the first thing is "why do you want to use the 442e chassis?

If you're looking for a relatively easy to follow build you should look at the two books available for the Locost:

"Build Your Own Sports Car" by Ron Champion and
"Build Your Own Sports Car" by Chris Gibbs

Both books do not use the 442e plans but both use a solid rear axle. If you're fixed on the 442e chassis you will need to do some "table top" engineering/re-designing and modification.

I'm going take a reach and say just about every design discussed on this forum is somewhat unique and required a little (or a lot) of design thought in the process.

I don't think this helped you much, but give us a little more information about your wants and your skills.

Good luck,
Roy

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 2:20 pm 
The voice of reason

I thought the Gibbs book was for an IRS frame, I was going to suggest it for that. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 2:27 pm 

Gibbs frame IS for IRS, but the frame is a 221. Still, easily modified.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 7:40 pm 

I'd recommend for a first build to simplify your setup.

I would not attempt a one car donor build, I would source parts that fit easily and don't require much deviation from a build.
I would use a straight rear axle and Dwarf Car or Pony car front suspension.
Some aftermarket off the shelf items are cheaper if you factor in the hassle of making some OEM part work plus you end up with a more elegant build that will have a higher resale value.
The Speedway catalog and Summit, and Jegs, Amazon and Ebay are not to be overlooked either

Sticking to a book build also offers the benefit of proven engineering which may come in handy during the registration process or for insurance.

Another way is a kit or to buy someones unfinished project or even a finished one.
Building a car from scratch is no easy thing, look at what Jack has to offer. http://www.kineticvehicles.com
A kit even a partial will give you a leg up on actually finishing the build.
Sticking to recognized plans will also make obtaining any needed body parts easier.

PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:11 pm 

I had a book chassis (42" wide) and used a '91 RX-7 donor. I had to remove exactly 2 inches from both CV shafts. So I think a 4" wider chassis would be perfect fit if you don't want to modify the shafts. That is assuming you use the same RX-7 wheels and 205/50R15 tires.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 4:30 am 

Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry if my questions have been confusing. It's just a lot of new stuff and information I have been looking.

So, I can extend the 441e to use the Miata IRS by using the voodo plans. Or use the 221e(gibbs) plan. Are these available for download?

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 12:45 pm 

I believe you have to buy the Gibbs book to see the plans. The Voodou plans are available via the link in my first post.

Good luck,
Roy

Last edited by RoyzMG on December 10, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 3:52 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry if my questions have been confusing. It's just a lot of new stuff and information I have been looking.

No need to apologize here! Keep at it, we understand. :)

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 6:38 pm 

My S10 "stick" rear end is 54.25" between wheel mounting surfaces, 49.875" between backing plate flanges. That is a great width for my 221 using the S10 offset, since the rims have basically no offset, and we end up with a 54" track (center of tire to center of tire).

However, if I used the 95 Camaro rims it would have to be around 4" wider of of the style of rims, and around 4" of total offset between the two rims. (Which would then mean I would probably use a Blazer rear instead of the S10 rear.)

So first thing -- how wide do you want the outside of the wheels to be, what kind of rims / offset are you looking for? Fom that, you can do some (more) calculations!

Have I lost you yet?

Most builders end up fabricating the IRS's bits, use either a Ford (89-98 Cougar or TBird) diff or a Miata diff, and then end up having the half shafts custom made when they figure out what width they have at the end. JD's Mallock Tribute build I believe did it this way, although JD will probably end up saying he planned his all out and had CAD drawings and the rest.

The Haynes 221 build has an IRS setup, and there are plans out there to use Miata bits. Might be a good place to get some ideas.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: December 11, 2017, 2:34 am 

I think I understand now. I will just start with the voodoo plans with a mx-5 donor. Thanks all!