LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 4:13 pm 

Hey guys,

Having a hard time doing a disc brake upgrade on the rear of my car. I have 280mm (11") x 9mm (0.35") rotors. Where it gets hard is routing the Ebrake cables and making the bracket as my caliper bracket bolt location is further inboard than my tabs to bolt them too. Miata Sport calipers are the ideal for the rotor, M/C and pad selection but tough to make fit.

Ideally the e-brake cable would go straight inboard along the axle. I'm not stuck on these rotors, but I can't find any other OE ones that fit. If needed I can run a wilwood 2pc rotor.

Thanks.
Cory

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 5:16 pm 

Just to be clear: I'm hoping from pics/info of what you have for rear calipers/park brake.
Cheers.

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 5:35 pm 

According to your build thread it looks like you are running a Ford 7.5"? That's what I'm using in my build too, and I am planning to use SN95 rear discs and calipers. You have to modify the mounting bracket, but otherwise it's supposed to work nicely. Common mod for the 7.5" Ranger guys. https://www.ranger-forums.com/engine-dr ... end-95557/

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 9:44 pm 

Suzuki Swift calipers fit a 10mm - 3/8" rotor. You'd have to surf around to see what the parking brake linkage looks like; I can't get to mine at the moment.

PostPosted: April 1, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

ZiG: Yeah, there is that option or http://www.northracecars.com/Discpixinstall.html for 4bolt. There are two problems with either setup. The first being that those calipers/rotors are quite large. I could try redrilling the bracket and rotating it, but even then I think they are just too large to fit w/o hitting shocks/panhard/frame. Second, I am redrilled to 4x100 to match the Miata fronts. Also I really don't want this axle getting any heavier than it already is.

TRX: Thanks. I think I'd like something with more pad options.

I've found that the newer Miatas have calipers where the ebrake is aimed correctly. I'll see if I can make them work. I also may change rotors (arg!) and have to start fresh.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 2, 2018, 9:38 pm 

I think I've decided to just get my axles cut down to work with different rotors to fit the newer Miata calipers. Probably going to make everything easier and I'm not likely to need to replace the axles. The newer Miata calipers have ebrake cables that go straight in so will be easier to fit on a Locostish car. Also have good pad selection.

Thanks as always.

PostPosted: April 3, 2018, 11:35 am 

C10CoryM wrote:
TRX: Thanks. I think I'd like something with more pad options.

Note that, should you find a caliper otherwise suitable, Porterfield (and probably others) will bond whatever friction material you want if you can provide the backing plates.