LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 10:01 am 

I would look for a spindle from a GM T car platform. They are known as spindles from a Chevrolet Chevette/Fiero, Opel Kaddet, and Isuzu Impulse in the US, but they were used in may different cars around the world up until 2008. Looking at the pictures I think the spindle Warren posted above looks exactly like a T platform spindle. And I know Isuzu used them in quite a few RWD vehicles. Here is a list of cars/trucks/vans that used them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_T_platform_(1973)

Also you may want to look at the Spindles from an Isuzu Stationwagon (1979),or Isuzu KB Stationwagon (1984-1990 based on the Isuzu KB. These look like smaller spindles if they are the same as the ones we received in the US.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 6:17 pm 

No, my Isuzu Pickup was not a T platform. The steering arms were cast in place and the lower ball joint mounts are lower on the T platform unit, which will help suspension design (roll centre location). Four or five-bolt pattern hubs too.

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 9:29 pm 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
No, my Isuzu Pickup was not a T platform. The steering arms were cast in place and the lower ball joint mounts are lower on the T platform unit, which will help suspension design (roll centre location). Four or five-bolt pattern hubs too.

It looks like you are correct. Looking at your photo again It seems they may have been based on the same design but they did really move the lower ball joints up.

PostPosted: May 24, 2018, 6:01 am 

Hi guys... I haven’t forgotten you (and hope you’ve not forgotten me).
Can’t tell you how grateful I am for all the advice I'm being offered here.

After more weeks of searching I am still constantly surprised by how different is the scrapyard/secondhand-car market here compared with what I was brought up with in the West. posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=19358#

However I am now pretty certain my best (only...?) option is to go with MacPherson type uprights and I even welcome the challenge of converting them. There are plenty to choose from and I’ve been back to the first yard I went to (still the best I've found) who have plenty to choose from - and if I'm able to find a donor-car, even better.

However, I'm still hoping to source a motorcycle rear end so my final decision (donor-wise) will come later. But I’m feeling much more confident than a month or two ago... although I've still been unable to source simple heim/rose-joints - I have found a large DIY-type store that has more such practical stuff than anything else I've seen in Thailand but they just look blank when I show them a photo... Weird...

My main problem now (which I fear none of you can help with) is to find somewhere to do the build. The house I currently rent only has enough space outside to park my car, so I'm looking for an alternative which will have (or have space to build) a workshop area. I found one but the neighbouring houses (on each side and at the back - Thai-style) are barely 6” away... and I don’t want complaints of noise pollution, because I would not win such a domestic dispute... and anyway I don’t like to upset people.

I am also looking for a garage/lock-up on its own to rent, and stay put, but it depends on the security situation.

So that’s where we’re at just now... and just wanted to let you guys know I'm still persevering - and hope to have more to report in another month. In the meantime I am ploughing through the many LocostUSA build logs, and picking up so many tips on the way...

Many thanks all, Mangpong.