LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 8:16 am 

I recently installed a Saturn Vue/ Chevy Equinox electric power steering unit into my Alpine. After initial problems that had nothing to do with the steering unit, it worked properly. Then, it went wild, self energizing and rotation the wheel back and forth from lock to lock until the unit rotated in its mount, cutting 12v power. This happened as soon as the ignition was turned on, while the car was parked and I was not even in the drivers seat. No real harm done. It now seems to be working properly.

Needless to say, this freaked me out and I need information or how to prevent this from happening again. What could be the problem? Any way to run tests? What should be replaced? My knowledge of these things is barely above zero. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 11:55 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I suggest asking on a Saturn Vue/ Chevy Equinox forum, as you may well be the only one here who uses one.

Out of curiousity, is it a stand-alone unit? That is, other than battery power, does it have any other inputs? If so, make sure they're properely terminated. Also, verify that the wire to the battery is of sufficient size, because if it's too small, it "might" cause problems.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 1:36 pm 

Excellent suggestion.

It has been modified through use of "Bruno's controller", which puts it in limp in mode, to be stand alone. Uses 60 amp feed.

Bill

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 2:05 pm 

I know nothing about these things. It sounds me like the steering shaft position sensor or its wiring has a problem. It may check itself on power-up and did not see a signal so it searched for it by powering the motor back and forth. Just thinking...…

That is very disturbing.

Have you reached out to "Bruno"?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 2:13 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

The liability for someone selling modifications for this seems astronomical to me.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 4:16 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I know nothing about these things. It sounds me like the steering shaft position sensor or its wiring has a problem. It may check itself on power-up and did not see a signal so it searched for it by powering the motor back and forth. Just thinking...…

That is very disturbing.

Have you reached out to "Bruno"?

No, dealing with his rep in the states, who supplied a kit with all necessary components. Determined it was not an installation problem and he quit. Things got nasty. He finally offered to refund my money if I ship it back, (I think) but his attitude is so bad I'm afraid he will resell it. So here I am, trying to get smart.

I've spent the last hour or so going through an Equinox site, seems these things never do this. Its a rare, one off failure, don't see why Bruno's guy just won't swap it out and junk it.

Bill

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 8:42 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Who "quit", Bruno or his rep? Try going to the one who didn't get upset and see what they'll do to resolve it.

Also, you said you went to an Equinox site and "these things never do this." I believe that - for an untouched OEM part - but that's not what you have, yours is modified. I'd try really hard to not use his modifications and research how to modify it yourself. Knowledge is power.

That guy is a fool for not being Really thankful that nothing happened to you, and him getting upset when asked for a replacement that doesn't potentially try to kill you? Wow.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 9:38 pm 

The rep quit when it became apparent the installation was not the problem. I have not approached Bruno because I suspect the problem is either in the power steering unit or the stock control module, both of which were provided by the rep as rebuilt. Interestingly, it seems no one rebuilds them!

I will try contacting Bruno.

When I told the rep I wanted a unit that I did not think would try to kill me, he ended his response with a (lol). That's when things got nasty.

Bill

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 11:59 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I had considered using it because it was so compact so I'd definitely like to know if that's a common problem

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 9, 2018, 5:59 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I had considered using it because it was so compact so I'd definitely like to know if that's a common problem

Definitely not common. For a while I was concerned it was. I can find perhaps one other instance, very hard to be sure. It is much more common for it to suddenly loose power or become "sticky". I think I can live with that, literally speaking.

The input shaft on this unit has been modified by Bruno's USA vendor. I think I'll just buy another unit (found one for $55), swap out input shafts and deep six this one. Won't have to worry about it killing anybody, although I can think of one guy I would not mind becoming it's victim.

Bill

PostPosted: June 9, 2018, 10:21 am 

Try to discuss with epowersteering.com they helped me a few times. Good service.

PostPosted: June 9, 2018, 12:09 pm 

Rudy14 wrote:
Try to discuss with epowersteering.com they helped me a few times. Good service.

I did.

Bill

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 9:45 am 

Has this been resolved Bill?

I too have an Equinox/Bruno unit, and it works great, but I had initial setup problems too... I went directly through Bruno, and since I installed controller #2, it works well... (my system has never “self steered” as yours did)... Also, I didn’t go through Bruno’s USA rep as I bought mine a few years ago.. I found Bruno to be helpful and contiencous as he helped me via email..

Food for thought... I’m running the “old” controller, the one with the adjustable dial to manually set the steering assist (I set it at about 50% on the dial range and just leave it there)... Maybe you’re running Bruno’s “newer” style unit that is input sensitive? (it adjusts assist based in driver effort at the wheel). if so, I wonder if that controller is at fault..

Keep at it Bill.. I was initially very frustrated that it didn’t work, but since I got the bugs worked out, I’ve been so happy with it... every now and again I’ll dial out the assist just to remind myself how the steering should feel.. that heavy, sluggish feel is something I don’t miss for one second!

ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 8:21 am 

Resolved, but not to my satisfaction. The guy that warranted the unit finally took it back and "found" a wire that had been crimped. From his description of the location, all I can say is, I don't see how it could have been. The wires were held only by wire ties under the dash at that location. Anyway, he replaced the controller and wires and declared it repaired. I'm glad I don't have it and think the entire unit should have been destroyed.

I would never deal with this guy. He was very helpful and friendly until the problem arose. He then became dismissive, devious, full of BS and refused to honor his warranty until pressed.

As far as the EPS is concerned, I think it is okay in light of my current condition. It solves a problem. Twenty years ago, I would have no part of it. I really don't like the idea of steering into and out of corners. I find it very awkward.

Bill

PostPosted: October 22, 2018, 2:42 pm 

i have been running a saturn vue unit in my car for over 3 years now with no problems.

i found that it improved the locost experience no end and would not go back to manual steering.

these units are all over the place in all sorts of different vehicles.

recently the market has changed over to the toyota unit which requires no controller at all as when its installed and does not link with the original vehicles computer it self selects a safe mode which gives it power, maybe the market for controllers is now declining so the guy was not selling enough units anymore so was hurting financially, who knows.

but we in it shall be remembered.