LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 12:50 pm 

Hi Guys,

I been putting my lower rear arms into the frame. I was wondering how tight the fit should be. I know it should be stiff, but I was thinking I can sand a little of the rears arm suspension tube to get a slightly better fit. I am feeling since I didnt get the arm dimensions perfect, one of the tubes is adding pressure between the polyuretane bushing and the bracket. I made a quick video of the movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM0LxyF ... ture=share

Also, I was wondering, I was planning to make the shock brackets, but I am not sure of the dimensions. I plan to use the Gazz shocks, but I dont know what the eye to eye bushing lengths are. Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 3:37 pm 

You have a steel tube in the middle of the bushing so that the bolt can tighten down on it, rather than the poly?

Poly by nature is sticky. It needs lube or it will stick like that. I would guess you are fine once it's lubed but I never recommend using poly as a rotating bushing for this reason. And because it cold-creeps.

Cheers.

PostPosted: September 11, 2018, 5:16 pm 

There is a crush tube in it. I thought about my issue. It seems the distance from the bushings on the A arms are slightly longer than the distance between the brackets+polybushings. This is causing some tension/rubbing. I think if I sand off a little on the A arm suspension bushing, it will move a lot better. That and grease.

PostPosted: December 31, 2018, 4:07 am 

Would a hard shore silicone work better? I've cast small grommets using soft silicone. I suppose it should still be greased. Is it better to have the sliding surface on the inside surface of the bushing or outside?

Or what about having the crush tube "not crushed", double nut the bolt and have the sliding surface be the bolt and the inside of the crush tube (still greased) ?

Oh, I wonder if silicone creeps?

PostPosted: December 31, 2018, 6:16 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

thehiddenproject wrote:
Hi Guys,

I been putting my lower rear arms into the frame. I was wondering how tight the fit should be. I know it should be stiff, but I was thinking I can sand a little of the rears arm suspension tube to get a slightly better fit. I am feeling since I didnt get the arm dimensions perfect, one of the tubes is adding pressure between the polyuretane bushing and the bracket. I made a quick video of the movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM0LxyF ... ture=share

Also, I was wondering, I was planning to make the shock brackets, but I am not sure of the dimensions. I plan to use the Gazz shocks, but I dont know what the eye to eye bushing lengths are. Anyone have any ideas?

I think lube will correct the bind. If not, I'd sand the bushings where they but together inside and shorten the lca sleeves slightly, or make new, longer inner sleeves. Also, the flanges need to be at least as big as the bushing flange. Bush should not overhang the flange.

What is the part number for the GAZZ dampers you intend to use?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 31, 2018, 10:17 am 

The inner steel sleeve MUST contact the sides mounting bracket, once everything is assembled and torqued down. As MV8 mentioned you need a longer sleeve, or reduce the bushing stand-off, you could possibly shim the end. If you do not have a solid bolted joint, the bolt fret the bracket holes.
DaveW