LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 24, 2021, 2:24 pm 

Hi guys,

After a couple months of creeping around on this forum i decided to be social for once and make a account.
I got some questions i need answaring. At the moment i am rebuilding my bmw e21. It started an year ago with an engine tune up and here i am with te car in 1000 pieces, i think many of you can relate.
In the last year i already swapped a m52 engine in it but i never liked how the car handeld, An e21 drives like an absulute boat. i have owned a bunch of miata's so it feels even worse.
Because i loved the handeling of the miatas so much but hate the girly look. i am now in the progress of swapping the complete front and rear suspension from a NBFL miata on to my BMW. After cutting up a miata and measuring alot i made my first prototype. They are a kind of weld in replacement chassis tubes to atach the subframe and struts to. But after trying to test fit the struts they wont sit good in the shock mount because of the chamfer of the topmount. Thats not to big of a problem to fix. But the weird thing is that the angels the struts where on, they didnot fit good. So my Question is; does someone here have build a locost with complete miata suspension and have drawings of them that i can use? I can only find people that use the subframe but not the wishbones etc. I looked in tho some build books (voodoo etc) but they generaly dont use the miata suspension.

Thanks in advance!

Oh and i almost forgot, i go by Pleun. My native langaugh is Dutch so apologys for any grammer and spelling errors.
I wil make a build threat soon with pictures if you guys are interest!

PostPosted: March 4, 2021, 2:12 am 

I don't know if either of these would help, but here is a link to pdf of plans for building a locost with miata suspension.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/thinking-of-building-a-haynes-roadster.92909/post-1370613

There is also this link to miata wheel alignment. Please note near the bottom of the page there are some very accurate measurements of the unibody suspension pickup points on a miata.

https://www.miata.net/garage/alignment/index.html

Tom