LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 5:37 am 

Hello there. I'm new here and have been enjoying the forum for several weeks as a guest.

Has anyone entertained the idea of using one of these as a chassis donor?
Suzuki Super Carry truck

It's a KEI car with what appears to be a 3/4 chassis. I'm assuming the front is unitised construction?
Yes, the rear has leaf springs with a live axle. But this could be changed. You'd need to add much bracing and a front subframe for the motor... which incidentally, is front-mid!

Someone fitted a GM 3.8 V6 in this one:

I like how it's behind the front axle line. Like a Honda S2000. Or E Type Jag!

Motor? I like V4s...

VFR1200 - V4, 170hp/95 lb·ft, shaft drive, dual clutch option :mrgreen:

I'm sure the Bedford Rascal/Suzuki Super Carry van/trucks would be cheap to source as they're quite old now.
Don't know how viable this motor would be, but it's nice to see it in production. They'll only get cheaper, given time.

Okay the motor isn't Locost yet, but what about the viability of a chassis like this? Not specifically for a 7 replica, but for something in general?

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 10:29 am 

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 1:10 pm 

mcmonte wrote:
what about the viability of a chassis like this? Not specifically for a 7 replica, but for something in general?

I think the only thing the chassis is viable for really is a small kei truck. With the engine where it is, you need to either sit right at the front or way in the back. Kei cars are tiny narrow little things, I'd be worried about tipping one over, unless it's a very low slung design like the Cappucino.

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 2:11 pm 

With the amount of work you'd need to modify the existing chassis, suspension, engine mounting, cabin placement, etc. you'd be much better off (financially and time-wise) just making a full chassis from scratch, really. Besides that it's cheap and already there, what's the motivation to use that chassis?

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 4:16 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I eyeballed one of those as a rear axle donor once. Took some measurements, but have long since lost them. Might be a good fit with a Kubota motor, ala McCornack?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 14, 2011, 4:43 pm 

I own a 2001 Daihatsu HiJet similar to that and have looked at it as a possible donor. As already said, by the time you get a decent running one, you'd be far better off having bought something more conventional (like a Miata) if you want to build a typical Locost. The engines are limited and hard to get parts for so right off you're chucking that. The wheelbase is quite short so you may not be using all of that. They are built to be dumb simple farm vehicles (which is how I use mine) and that's about it. They are a hoot to drive around though! :)

PostPosted: July 15, 2011, 8:50 am 

OrangeCrusader wrote:
With the amount of work you'd need to modify the existing chassis, suspension, engine mounting, cabin placement, etc. you'd be much better off (financially and time-wise) just making a full chassis from scratch, really. Besides that it's cheap and already there, what's the motivation to use that chassis?

Well, all theory you understand...

Firstly, the donor vehicles can be obtained very cheaply.

Assuming the frame wasn't bent from crash damage, there'd be something square and straight as a basis for a wide-ish single seater. I don't even know the exact dimensions but reasoned if the cab has seating for two, the chassis should be plenty wide enough for one!

I had envisioned the driver just forward of the rear axle line, with engine as far rearward as possible in roughly the factory location shown, but mounted lower, if possible. Using 14 or 15" wheels would help the sump ground clearance, but of course suspension design would negate some of that.

But gee, it's just fun to think of these wacky combinations eh?

PostPosted: July 15, 2011, 4:03 pm 

Most of these (Daihatsu HiJet, Suzuki Carry/Mazda Scrum and Mitsubishi Minicab) have the engine right behind the driver and either the driver sits on top of the wheels or, especially on newer models, the front wheels are pushed forward to the front corners of the cab. The rear driveshaft is very short. Here is a '95 Mitsubishi that has a dump in the up position to show what it looks like.

I imagine doing a longer driveshaft would not be too difficult.

Hondas (Acty) have the engine located just in front of the rear axle which might make for an interesting AWD midi setup.

Finally, Subarus (Sambar) have the engine just behind the rear axle. That would probably be even more flexible and suitable to make a fun run about with. Mini 911 C4 anyone? :D They are, incidently, the only make that comes with a 4 cylinder. Some even come stock with a supercharger.

Suzuki and Daihatsus are far and away the most popular and easiest to find parts for. Then Mitsubishi, Subaru and finally Honda.

All Kei trucks are pretty much exactly the same size. Think original Suzuki Samurai. Not bad for two average sized people but small. I haven't been in a Miata in a couple of years but I think my truck is probably just a little narrower passenger hip-to-hip wise than that. They are legally limited to a maximum length of about 11 ft (3.4 m), a maximum width of 58 in (1.48 m) and a maximum height of 78 in (2.0 m) with a maximum displacement of 660 cc. Most of the newer (1999 and up) come with 4x100 bolt patterns which is nice. Before that time, there is a scattering of other bolt patterns. Also, all 1999 and newer trucks are fuel injected. Those before that are mostly carb'd.

Of course, just like anything, there is at least one North American based enthusiast forum for these trucks, http://www.minitrucktalk.com if you want to find out even more. :)

PostPosted: July 16, 2011, 2:10 am 

Acerguy, thanks for the great info! I'll have a squizzy at the forum too. :mrgreen:

Although I don't have the space or spare money to undertake a car project, I saw a Suzuki Carry fixed-tray for sale pretty cheap locally and it intrigued me slightly.

I once owned a small V4 (VFR400) but that year was all too short. I love those V4s!

Edit: just read the Subaru Sambar had fully independent suspension since its original release! That could open up slightly easier IRS options...