LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 5:39 pm 

Just a general discussion topic. But what's your ideal Locost? Or maybe I should say 7 as price shouldn't be a big thought. And keeping in traditonal front engine 2seater style.

Superlightweight BEC? V8 touring? Autocross champ? Turbo 'busa motor? Viper v-10? Or just a nice reliable Sunday driver?

I'll start. And I think at this point my ideal Locost would be a finished one! :cry:

But more dreamy is probably an extra wide with a ls7 GM v8. The one that revs to 7000 rpm from factory. Aftermarket cam and such push it towards 8000rpm. As a nasty street machine.

Or a 3 rotor twin turbo pushed to10-11k rpm. Light as possible. Something useable on street or track.

mitsu 4g63 powered 442e - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7317&start=0

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 5:50 pm 

My ideal Locost would be everything coming from one donor. Buy a wrecked car. Build a frame. Buy fenders and a nose cone from Jack and DONE!!!!! But that is a fantasy. Russ

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 7:18 pm 

One that is finished and licensed would be my first choice. Too many would-be builders shoot for "ideal" get started and never finish. With the way technology changes, what is "ideal" this year, is yesterday's "has-been" the next year.

If this would be a 2nd build:

1) For a street cruiser, a 6 speed, turbo (or supercharged) DOHC four. ~200HP without breaking a sweat. Highway cruise at 2000 RPM. with full weather equipment.

2) For a track car, a sub 1000 lb stripped down BEC

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 8:18 pm 

lusiphur134 wrote:
what's your ideal Locost? Or maybe I should say 7 as price shouldn't be a big thought.
Oxymoron alert! Danger, Will Robinson! The whole point of Locosts is that price is indeed a big though for us sorts of folks.
lusiphur134 wrote:
And keeping in traditonal front engine 2seater style..
If price isn't a big thought, then I'd say either a mid-30s Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic or a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa.

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 9:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

lusiphur134 wrote:
But what's your ideal Locost?
The Slotus!!!
Sorry... Don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty happy with the car (at the moment). :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 11:24 pm 

Ideal should be the one would have or are building. Of course I want better things but they arnt called Locost for no reason. Granted my low cost might differ from someone else.

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 12:13 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
If price isn't a big thought, then I'd say either a mid-30s Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic or a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa.

Sorry Jack but I disagree. I'd have a 1929 6 1/2 liter blown Speed Six Bentley. Like Brian Johnson's but with the bigger engine and the supercharger. Wow! What a car.

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 12:33 am 

I'd like to eventually redo the suspension on mine for better geometry now that I understand things a bit better. I would also like to lose some unsprung weight by going to aluminum calipers and 2 piece rotors with aluminum hats. Ultimate build for if I won the lottery would be one with a V8 made from a couple Hayabusa or ZX-14 bike engines, 6 speed sequential transmission, IRS with a Torsen diff, book frame with additional triangulation, decent cage, and somewhere around 1150-1200 lbs wet. Or maybe just buy a Caterham 620R, but where's the fun in that?
Kristian

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 7:46 am 

Ideal Locost? There is no such thing.

I have at least three car ideas in my head at all times, just in case I get bored.

so far there's:

"Bloody Hell" - twin 4 banger straight eight, inspired by John Bolster's "Bloody Mary" special. this one is all about the engine though I figure I'd try to keep it around 1400 lbs

"The Martian Buzz-Bomb" Another reverse trike, but rear-mid engine with a waterpumper fourbanger much fatter tires and much lower CG than the B-3 with side-by-side staggered seating for two...and painted bright metalflake green, y'know, 'cuz, MARTIAN!

And lastly, "The TANK", inspired by the Bugatti type 32, but with the tail chopped Kamm-style, maybe a little lip there, powered by a Ford 3.0 litre DOHC 4-valve V6 (My son's got on in his Escape - it's got such a nice growl, feels torquey and strong), slab bodywork of .032 3003 H32 riveted to the truss frame, go for sub-1500 lbs. with a removable hardtop.

of the three above, the easiest build would be The TANK, but I know everybody wants to see the Bloody Hell straight 8 come to fruition.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

Last edited by robbovius on May 20, 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 8:33 am 

rx7locost wrote:
1) For a street cruiser, a 6 speed, turbo (or supercharged) DOHC four. ~200HP

Yay! My car! :cheers:

rx7locost wrote:
with full weather equipment.

Oops, not. :oops:

JackMcCornack wrote:
I'd say either a mid-30s Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic

Yay! My next car. :cheers: Well sort of. Wider fenders more like a Talbot and wider wheels than the roughly 4" wide wires.

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 3:15 pm 

Mine.

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 6:20 pm 

No wind buffeting at all at any speed. :ack:

Al

PostPosted: May 21, 2015, 1:48 am 

I don't have any one ideal Locost, but I do have numerous ideas for how to approach to every different type of 'Locost' build. While there are a few areas that might change a bit with an unlimited budget, I'm already pretty much building the one I think I'll get the most overall enjoyment and use out of...Especially now that I've got a set of Jack's Lalo bodywork.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 21, 2015, 2:31 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
No wind buffeting at all at any speed.

Jack has a YouTube video of a drive in his Locost with the Lalo body. He uses a pencil with a string on the top to find the windstream. There is no wind until he lifts the pencil just above his head ( he's wearing a hat actually! ).

The string hangs limply down until a couple inches over his head and then suddenly streams straight backward. So it's the Seven body shape that makes it so bad. A lot of wind comes in to the cockpit when it hits the rear fenders...

PostPosted: May 21, 2015, 6:46 am 

The ideal locost has to be the one thats going to get finished while not depriving your family of your time and money ,on budget and with all the original goals accomplished while joining in with whats happening on here. Just my worthless humble opinion which of course is free and in the true spirit of the Locost.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave