LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 11:59 pm 

factorypartsjoe wrote:
If youve got any circle tracks near you you can talk to some of the guys there its a pretty popular set up. Theres a book by carl munroe all about powerglides you should get if you want to do it yourself. I believe TCI has a special valve body that will do what you need as far as a valve. Or you could just use an external valve. Hope that helps you some. Joe

Thanks, Joe. Have you driven one of these setups? I read that engagement can be a bit rough with the external valves. The guy compared it to a multi-disc clutch. I'm not sure that's really a big concern for me though, especially not if it results in real engine braking when off throttle and makes the engine more responsive too. A direct drive coupling is about as light as you can go for rotating mass.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:14 am 

A multi disc clutch isnt necessarily rough engaging thats more a matter of friction material and whether or not the discs have spring centers. Early model a fords had multi disc clutches and most large trucks do and having driven both they dont really feel rough. Often multi disc clutches use metallic or similar small pucks which are kind of grabby and usually have solid centers that dont absorb any of the shock like the spring type do. Ive never driven one of the direct drive powerglides though but i would think adjustments could be made as far as band application and valve body to alter how the powerglide would act. Remember on the track the guys want their cars to accelerate right now so very little slipping and positivr engagement would be valued over smooth starting. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:17 am 

factorypartsjoe wrote:
Remember on the track the guys want their cars to accelerate right now so very little slipping and positivr engagement would be valued over smooth starting. Just my thoughts.

Exactly my feeling. I'll give up some smoothness for positive engagement and great engine response. I think it might be kinda neat (read novel and unusual) to have a long lever "clutch" like on old cars that gets the car moving.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:38 am 

Certainly novel which old cars had hand clutch levers? Im drawing a blank myself cant think of which ones youd be thinking of. Oh and the powerglide isnt the only automatic you can do it with if you wanted more gears than just 2.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:40 am 

By old, I mean OLD. 1910s. Mercers come to mind. I know there are more though.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:43 am 

Mercers have a foot clutch. Those levers are a shifter and an emergency brake.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:45 am 

Oops forgot to mention the c-4 can be done direct drive which would go with a small block ford and give you 3 gears

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:45 am 

Hmmmm, I must be confused then. Coulda swore that they had a clutch lever for setting off, after which you shift without the clutch and had to match speeds.

I'm attracted to the powerglide due to how light and small it is. I'm not sure a car this light really needs more gears. I'll look into the C-4 as well though

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:52 am 

Ok, first thoughts on the C-4: it is pretty awesome that you can get them without a bellhousing. That would open up the possibility of a direct drive coupling, custom very compact bellhousing, and ALOT more footroom!

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:54 am 

In a mercer you have no synchros as with most all old cars so you need to match the engine and transmission speedsto avoid grinding gears. As far as the c- 4 its not very large at all and remember without the torque converter youre losing its torque multiplication.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:56 am 

Very true you could probably use a tiny bellhousing. More foot room

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 12:59 am 

factorypartsjoe wrote:
In a mercer you have no synchros as with most all old cars so you need to match the engine and transmission speedsto avoid grinding gears. As far as the c- 4 its not very large at all and remember without the torque converter youre losing its torque multiplication.

I had originally chosen a V8 not for power, but for sound. The only other engine I find as nice is straight sixes. They are too long for what I want though, so I decided on a V8. The benefit with the V8 is that if the torque or power is inadequate, well... :twisted: there's a fix for that.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 1:03 am 

As light as your car should be a mild v8 should have enough power but like you said theres a cure for that.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 1:10 am 

If you really like the sound of a 6 you might consider the 6 out of the triumph tr6 i seem to remember seeing on british v8 site that its like maybe half inch longer than a ford smallblock. I dont think a half inch should cause too much trouble.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 1:16 am 

Went and checked it for you. Heres a comparison chart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next