LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 26, 2016, 6:50 am 

Hey team

First post here , so before I put wrench to nut I thought Id ask around.

I have a honda S600 , and want to replace the existing donk with another motorbike motor of sorts.

Assuming the motor fits the same kind of location and overall size - is it advisable to use a modified propshaft and standard drivetrain ? Or would it better to look at a modified bike propshaft end (like a 1200 bmw etc) and split off that ?

I want to keep as much of the car standard except engine and likely front brakes...this is the first major headache I can think of !

Thanks again Ben

PostPosted: May 26, 2016, 9:34 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I don't know but highly recommend reading ccrunners's complete build thread for his S600 right here on this site. He pretty much answers all your questions. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14452&hilit=S600

PostPosted: May 30, 2016, 9:43 pm 

The build Kurt linked to is an N600 which is a very (VERY) different beast to an S600 :) If you're genuinely talking about an S600 I'll make a few comments.
- Unless the original motor is completely dead/destroyed, the collectability of the car will be greatly reduced by replacing it
- S600 (and S800) gearboxes are all-indirect so the diff actually turns backwards compared to "normal" cars. If you replace the motor, you need to deal with that somehow, depending on your donor drivetrain (K1200 BMW has been done I believe)
- Replacing the diff in an S600 is a non-trivial task because of the rear suspension design (trailing arm chain drive). It is possible to make a small live-axle fit but you'd need to find something small enough first (possible here in Australia, might be a struggle in the US) and then fabricate trailing arms etc

By way of explanation, I've owned a total of 6 different S600's and S800's over the last 35 years (not all in running condition!) so I've got some idea of what's under them :)

Good luck with what you're doing but please consider carefully before you cut up what is now an increasingly rare and collectable car.

Dominic

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 8:06 am 

Dom thanks for the input. There is no intention to touch the original body or chassis - the way it is looking sofar I should be able to pull off a slightly modified rear end in the chassis and leave the body untouched.
But yes, in the couple of days of being a member I have spent every spare moment searching and have concluded there is no way I will be using any standard part of the engine , gearbox or even standard drivetrain. It will sit in one bundle in the corner , covered for myself or another fan in years to come.
CBR1000 + sequential shifting here we come.