LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 1, 2016, 9:29 am 

Since I really don't want to write the paper I'm working on at my job, I found myself procrastinating thinking about Locost-ish ideas. I've been toying with the idea of using an Audi 01E gearbox as a transaxle box in a traditional front engined frame for a while; the point of the whole thing would be to be able to place the engine even further back, helping weight distribution and front suspension design, while working with reasonably cheap parts (as opposed to Porsche 944 or Vette gearboxes). Also, it could look kinda "quickchange cool" to have the rear parts of the gearbox point out through the bodywork ...
Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have any ideas, reflections or suggestions? At the moment, I'm just thinking whether it is an idea worth putting some analysis into, but I lack the practical experience some of you guys have. I mean, you've actually built stuff that starts and runs ...

PostPosted: June 1, 2016, 6:24 pm 

Look at 'Bob's 1.8turbo Build', he is doing just that.

Al

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 1:16 am 

Bob's setup is really cool, but not really what I thinking about: I'd like to split the engine and gearbox, and have the propshaft in between. Just like on a Vette C5 or a Porsche 944 or an old Alfa, the system would be engine-clutch-propshaft-gearbox-driveshafts (or engine-propshaft-clutch-gearbox-driveshafts) rather than engine-clutch-gearbox-propshaft-differential-driveshafts.

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 8:30 pm 

Depending on the cost of the adapters you would need, you may be looking at close to the same cost as you would a C5 vette transaxle.

theyre down in the $8-900 range now - which is pretty affordable considering what you get.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: June 3, 2016, 5:41 am 

The basic concept has been done before (albeit with a very compact, very lightweight, but very expensive Hewland racing transaxle).

Someone whose name escapes me did it with a spaceframe Westfield, years ago, then Westfield did it themselves with the carbon monocoque FW00, one of which I owned for a long time. Here's mine:

Only problem with the Audi box is that it's a big, heavy lump and it has an integral bellhousing (so you'd either have to set it far enough back that the bellhousing didn't foul the rear bulkhead. or else machine it off).

PostPosted: June 9, 2016, 4:30 pm 

Sadly, the Corvette transmissions are not as cheap over here in Europe, but I can find at least one suitable Audi donor in each breaker over here. But importing is not an impossible mission :)

The Westfield monocoque is incredibly sexy! One of those would be a dream, for sure.