LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13, 2018, 8:51 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Whilst I was getting completely knackered in the heat and humidity this weekend, I happened to catch a break and have a brief sit-down while my body poured out sweat and tried to cool itself. Looking around, I happened to rest my eyes on my burn barrel; and it occurred to me that someone might be able to whittle halfway decent fenders out of a clean empty barrel. there are usually two reinforcing bands formed into the belly of the barrel; these will be your "ribs". establish as closely as possible, the high point, and this will be your center. measure out from the center half of your tire width, plus a bit for rolling the edge over. Maybe a half inch, or one of those European metric measurements. Whatever. Then establish how long the fender will be; it will probably be simpler to just cut out a band of the barrel and see how far open it springs on it's own once it's cut across the chord. Anyway; figure out how much you're going to need, plus the fold over amount, and then commence rolling/folding over the edge, maybe add a wire inside. Use your own favorite mounting system.