LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Transport van ideas
PostPosted: January 23, 2020, 12:58 am 

Hey Zig, in Manitoba an F550 is classed as a commercial vehicle and requires a safety inspection by an approved shop every year. Don’t know if Alberta is the same but those inspections, and the repairs required to pass them, can add up to big bucks. If you don’t need the weight carrying capacity you should consider a smaller truck. Bill

PostPosted: January 23, 2020, 10:47 am 

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I just checked, and it seems to be a bit different here. If it's not being used for commercial purposes, and GVWR is under 11,794 kg, it looks like you don't need a certificate. That said, my regular insurance company wouldn't touch it - had to get a quote from the same broker insuring the Locost.

PostPosted: January 23, 2020, 10:51 pm 

I wonder what the insurance co would say about a Caravan like the red one pictured?

PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 9:29 am 
We are Slotus!

Bent Wrench wrote:
I wonder what the insurance co would say about a Caravan like the red one pictured?
WARNING: Totally cynical response follows.

My experience with insurance companies is they say one of two things. Either "There will be a slight rate increase" (and then your premiums double) or they say "We cannot extend coverage to that vehicle" (and then they cancel your entire policy). :BH:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 1:28 pm 

Well if they don't ask if it is modified and just use the VIN of the donor......

PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 2:38 pm 
The voice of reason

I've been meaning to start a "Gonzo's crazy RV ideas" thread but this looks like a good start. So I think what we are saying here is that I can start a Transporter / RV build right around my Car9 build and then wheel the whole thing out and get more garage space back while I finish the build in the transporter. Plus that front end part you show could be where I sleep if my family thinks the building is getting out of hand or if things stall. :rofl:

PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 7:49 pm 

Ah yes, that's a good argument for including some living space in the van!

Side note: Went to look at the F550 cab&chassis I mentioned earlier.. I may still bid on it, but I'm glad I saw it in person first. Needs a bit more work than the pictures let on. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a single cab F350, but it's the less-desirable, less-reliable 6.0l diesel. On the plus side, it has a decent anti-theft system in the form of one extra pedal.

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 9:50 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
I've been meaning to start a "Gonzo's crazy RV ideas" thread but this looks like a good start.
Whut?!?!?!? What did I do this time!?!?!? :mrgreen: I do love my little RV. It's Team Slotus Mobile Command Center on race weekends and a little getaway cottage (on wheels) other times. The kids can't show up at dinner time if they don't know where you are!

On race weekends, I like going to the track the night before, which cuts a 2-hour drive out of my Sunday race day. I can grill a steak, sleep in the queen size bed, wake up and make coffee and walk out the door and *POOF* I'm at the track. it's a comfy place to change shoes, or change clothes if you want to. It's an indoor bathroom if you don't like porta-potties. (HamDip and TWWTFM think so most any time. In the summer heat, so do I!) There's cold water or Cokes in the fridge along with sammich ingredients for lunch time. Usually, all the seats are taken at lunch time, even if I drove up alone! :mrgreen:
Attachment:
03 03 19 Mobile HQ and Sandwich Shop.jpg
I have even taken a quick shower and put on clean clothes before leaving the track for the ride back home after a hot summer event.

JimV8 wrote:
You’ll want to winch the car up in any case.
Amen to that! I got a winch for my trailer for Christmas a while back. It's a fairly small one, intended for use in a quadrunner/ATV. Rated for 2500 lbs, I think? Finally got it installed last year. It's mounted to the floor of the trailer, right in the nose. There's a small battery connected to it and the battery in turn is connected to the 12V system of the RV by way of the trailer's umbilical cord. That way the alternator of the RV keeps the battery charged up. I can pull the Slotus up to the ramp on the back of the trailer, hook it up to the winch line and pull it right into the trailer with no burnt clutch, no running over TWWTFM or Earl or whoever is guiding me in. It's nice, lemme tell ya...

I don't know what your race/autocross/rally weekends are like, but if they're anything like mine, I would highly recommend some "living quarters" incorporated into the tow vehicle or the trailer.

All IMHO, YMMV, just my .02, etc, etc... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "28Ft Class C" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 11:20 am 
We are Slotus!

OK, Marcus, you started it... Crazy RV ideas, indeed! :mrgreen:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/rvs/d/lehigh-acres-2008-ford-crown-vic-p71/7061172755.html
Attachment:
Crown Vic RV.jpg
The ad says it already has a Class 3 hitch and wiring. Park this beauty outside your shop and you're ready to tow the racecar, or sleep comfortably when Mrs. Horizenjob throws you out of the house for buying it to begin with! :rofl:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 2:00 pm 

"Exterior Sealed with 'Poorman's Fiberglass' and Reflective Roof Sealant.".....looks like you've been using the wrong materials to make your wing JD.

PostPosted: January 26, 2020, 9:30 am 

I had to look up Poorman's Fiberglass. I like the idea. Maybe somebody could build Locost panels using the process?

And JD's pic reminded me of the Top Gear episode where the boys built RV's Here is Jeremy's 2 story entry.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 21, 2020, 2:42 pm 

Another alternative;

https://bringatrailer.com/2020/02/20/in ... 2020-02-21

PostPosted: February 21, 2020, 8:18 pm 

Now THAT is interesting!

Here's my latest wacky idea: A retired type III ambulance. I have been watching auctions for the past couple months and almost bid on one this week. They seem to be very well maintained while in service, have some nice inverters, storage, etc, and use a very sturdy aluminum box. The floor (and roof) is also lower than a cube van. I would have to gut some of the floor-mounted cabinetry and significantly widen the rear opening, but it can be done. I also inquired with the OEM, who sent me the manual and 40-some pages of electrical schematics for the whole unit. Then I tried my luck with the EMS, who sent me the entire service history since day one. Very cool!

PostPosted: February 22, 2020, 2:39 pm 

i have a cube van, its a 1994 gmc ex u-haul complete with special ramps for loading a car that mount on the outsides for transportation and hook to the rear bumper for loading.
when in transportation mode they are still inside the wing mirrors.

problem is the ramps are a two man job to lift and its a big block that only does 10 mpg loaded or empty, even with the 4L80 4 speed trans, it does have a 42 gallon tank though.

interestingly, the wheel wells are just a flat sheet of ally and only stick up about 3/16ths of an inch above the ally floor.

i do not use it for transporting my locost because of the fuel consumption and when time allows i would seriously consider a front wheel drive mini van with a custom back or an all wheel drive crew cab pickup with the rear drive shaft and axle removed and a rear deck with air ride rear wheels to drop the rear to the ground for loading.

things i would consider are :-
no big block engines as they are just too juicy
no diesel as they are too expensive to maintain
use a crew cab chassis with a single cab
add a beaver tail to the back if necessary
try using the bed, be it extended and or widened
get a truck with an LS engine and 4L80E trans and all wheel drive transfer case not 4 wheel drive.
an all wheel drive astro van with the same modifications

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 12:07 am 

Alright, I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but I came across a deal that was too good to pass up. Flew out and drove the thing back last week. It's a Ford F450 diesel and was previously stationed at a fire hall. I'm going to be playing "what does this button do?" for a while, but so far I have figured out how to work the lights, PA system, remote-controlled spot light and most of the cabin lighting and HVAC. It has a big inverter/battery charger, shore power hookup, and a 4-link rear suspension with load-leveling air springs, that can also be programmed to squat when the rear doors are open. I have not figured that part out yet. Thankfully it has 4.10 gears (the lowest you can get), so the highway mileage wasn't too bad. I'll start a build thread shortly, but my plan is to gut the rear, widen the rear doors and there will still be some room left over for tool storage, mini fridge etc. For what I paid, it was definitely the locost solution!