LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 10, 2011, 7:26 am 

To start things off, this is my first post so...hello all! I've been lurking for a few months now and I've acquired more knowledge than I thought possible, although this has only shown me that I know just enough to know that I don't know enough. Confused? :P

I'm obviously planning a Locost build, which brings me to the point of my thread: how do I go about registering a locost in Nevada (specifically Reno)? I've been through all the pages of this subforum but with not a whole lot of info regarding my state. I've searched this forum and the internet, but I still haven't found a satisfactory answer really.

This may be stretching my luck too far, but is there anybody with a locost in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City/northern nevada area who has registered their locost?

Thanks in advance, I know you guys always have some kind of answer!

PostPosted: February 10, 2011, 1:09 pm 

I'm not from Nevada, but it would appear that they have a program similar to California where the first 100 vehicles registered per year get a free pass on emmissions. In Nevada, it would have to be registered as a "Replic Vehicle". You are limited to 2500 miles per year.

You can see some of the Nevada laws and public documents by searching your official DMV website for "replica vehicle". Here is the shortcut:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dmvnv.com&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dmvnv.com&q=replica+vehicle&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dmvnv.com&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v4&aql=&oq=

Good luck in your build and your quest.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 11, 2011, 12:51 am 

The problem I found is whether a Locost would be a classic vehicle, a classic rod, a hot rod, etc. There are very specific requirements for each category, but the Locost doesn't seem to fit any of these categories. And there is no way I would drive my locost only 2500 miles a year. Hell, I'd probably break that in just the summer! I've got a T-Top MR2 and I leave those t tops off as often as I can. I figure having no roof would be similar, just better :)

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 12:35 am 

Spent some time today researching NV registration requirements.
Did not find all the answers I wanted but did find some that are critical for my needs.
Seems a safety glass windshield and power wipers are required.
But NOTHING was found stating a minimum size. :)
So I'm thinking a "Brooklands screen" and the smallest wiper I can find.
Seems I will be required to wear a helmet and face-shield for this, I have a pair of nice vintage half-shells for the purpose.
Still considering titling in another more lenient state then registering here as a used car.
The 2500 mile limit is ridiculous, a round trip to Reno and back is over a hundred miles for me.

Wondering what state may now be simplest, preferably without requiring a physical inspection?

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 6:13 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Alabama has to be one of the best; at least when I was researching it.

Careful about size since States often develop a manual for their employees/contractors that includes a few ancient FMVSS requirements that are not in the state code. I would specifically ask what the requirement is by letter and hope they actually answer the question in the reply, but even a non-answer can help your case, since you would be forced to make a best guess. Kick it up to the Department of Revenue or Lt. Gov to go between if you have an issue at that point. Easier just to "fix" it to appease the inspector, then do what you will like everybody else with a production vehicle.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:36 am 

My greatest concern is the headlamps.
24" is too high.
May have to make a set of Bug-Eye adapter bases just long enough for registration.
I see T-Bucket types with lights mounted to the front axle, BS that the rules change with YOM. :BH: