LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe's Lotus 19
PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 1:52 am 

Well, since I finally started welding my chassis, I guess I should start my build log. Most of you know I am building a Lotus 19 replica for the road. I bought a body back in the summer of '09 from Curtis Unlimited, and since then have been buying bits and pieces for the build. I still haven't figured out what motor I'll be using, but it's gonna be mounted longitudinally, paired with a VW trans (914 or bus)...

I decided to get the project going by building the cockpit section first. I really wanted to get the look of the 19, by using the front hoops. I plan on adding the steel sheet with the punched holes later. The width is 38", with an inner width of 36".

Attachment:
DSC_0004.jpg
Attachment:
133662980.4hP6bQ8c.jpg
Attachment:
DSC_0012.jpg

The plan is to look like this:
Attachment:
arciero.jpg

Still working on the seats. I had some galvanized sheet laying around so I figured I'd use that and just rivet it to the frame. I realize I should've wrapped the sheet around the round tubes for better rivet placement, but the sheet wasn't very pliable. Besides, with my generous use of rivets, it's very solid. I might try it on the next one. Eventually they'll get some padding then covered...
Attachment:
seat2.jpg
Attachment:
seat.jpg

Next up is to build the front section. The plan is to make a modified "box" using the book measurements. I'm using Miata uprights and I plan to use Jack's A-arm kit. This is the daunting part for me, but that's what you guys are for. Once I get the front suspension done, with the correct track width, I can set the front section of the body on the frame and get the proper measurements to tie the two sections together...

That's all for now.

Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Joe's Lotus 19
PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 11:12 am 

Joe,
Glad to see you've started on the chassis. Did you manage to find some 19 drawings or have you modified the 23 ones?

Also, i've got a 914 gearbox that i dont need, so its free to you. Downside is its up here in Vancouver.

PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 12:40 pm 
The voice of reason

That's a nice job on the cneter section and the curved bulkhead looks very nice. No doubt is will be quite strong. I like the attention to the diagonal braces where they connect properly and strengthen the welds ( longer weld area ) of the vertical and horizontal tubes they connect to.

In you design is there any possiblity to run a brace out under your elbow into the bodywork, sort of under the door? Getting some extra frame width there helps a lot with strength because it makes up for the typical drivers refusal to put a diagonal through their chest.. Sometimes you can see that member on the upper side is added inside the cockpit too, I've seen that on some Lotus formula cars, sorry I don't recollect what the actual 19 and 23 frames look like.

Nice start, it will be fun to watch this log!
:cheers:

PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 2:49 pm 

PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 9:27 pm 

Looks good! Now get back to work! LOL

PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 10:02 pm 
The voice of reason

Something to consider for you front suspension would be the threaded collars and ball joints from Speedway, I think. They would make wishbones that look more like the original. You weld the tubing to the collar and thread in the ball joint. Maybe those ball joints could be adapted to the Miata spindles, but I haven't seen it done yet....

PostPosted: April 5, 2011, 1:16 am 

cs3tcr wrote:
Joe,
Glad to see you've started on the chassis. Did you manage to find some 19 drawings or have you modified the 23 ones?

Also, i've got a 914 gearbox that i dont need, so its free to you. Downside is its up here in Vancouver.

I tweaked the 23 dimensions a bit, but not by much. The two are really VERY similar, including the front bulkhead angle... Thanks for the transaxle offer, but living in CA (a haven for VW's), finding one cheap won't be a problem. In fact, I think Tony (eurokraft) said he had one lying around his shop somewhere. Tony? 8)

horizenjob wrote:
In you design is there any possiblity to run a brace out under your elbow into the bodywork, sort of under the door? Getting some extra frame width there helps a lot with strength because it makes up for the typical drivers refusal to put a diagonal through their chest..
:cheers:

I've definitely thought about that. Initially I was just going to bend some 1/2" tube to form the side pods and shape the lower aluminum panels, but adding some beefier steel in the pod area would add a lot of strength with not much of a weight penalty. As you can see there's quite a bit of space in there to make some sort of wings. Any chance you could draw what you had in mind to see if I'm thinking the same thing?
Attachment:
Lotus19Etype018_2.jpg

Thanks guys!

Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 7:07 pm 

Got some time in the garage today and cobbled together a definite "locost" tool. Any guesses what it does?

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 8:18 pm 

Is it a tool to flange the holes in your dash/bulkhead?

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 9:05 pm 

Dimple sheet metal holes tool.

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 9:51 pm 

A flairing tool for a really big brake line? Russ

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 10:01 pm 

So post up pics of the belled holes.

Did you make the cone? or was in a found object?

PostPosted: June 5, 2011, 11:50 pm 

Yes, a dimple die tool. It will be used on the bulkhead sheet lightening holes. The cone is actually the outer piece of a deadbolt lock, with the center section removed. I used a 1.75" hole saw and was able to make these practice holes:
Attachment:
dimple.jpg

Attachment:
dimple2.jpg

I only had 16 and 22 gauge sheet metal though. The 22g formed really easily, but I think it'll be too thin, even with the added strength the holes will give. The 16g was a bit too hard and not much of a dimple could be made. Im thinking 18g will be perfect.

Not bad for $10... 8)