LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 4:15 pm 

Today my wife assisted me in some measurements using a Kirkey seat to determine some critical dimensions of my chassis. I'm not too terribly afraid, though, as I've been working with the Caterham model on SketchUp. As long as that's accurate, my frame should be similarly sized.

I'm going with seats built into the chassis and adjustable pedals. With a 40" wide chassis (2" narrower than book, 1.5" wider than Lotus) and 4" tunnel that leaves 17" wide seats. Plenty!

This is a 16" wide Kirkey economy 10deg layback seat. We tilted it rearward by jamming things of specific heights under the front and took measurements based on Allan Staniforth's "Race and Rally Car Source Book"

These seats don't sit flat, and if you don't pay attention you'll find yourself like a turtle!

Vulnerable to attack!

The wife has to, of course, fit as well.

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 4:38 pm 

That looks like a lot of seat back inclination. You might want to go out and measure your street car and see where it is adjusted to.

Once you start laying the seat far back you put a lot of stress on the neck muscles. You can use a headrest adjusted so your head is supported, but I've found the amount of vibration transmitted that way is more than I'm willing to put up with.

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 4:57 pm 

TRX wrote:
That looks like a lot of seat back inclination. You might want to go out and measure your street car and see where it is adjusted to.

Once you start laying the seat far back you put a lot of stress on the neck muscles. You can use a headrest adjusted so your head is supported, but I've found the amount of vibration transmitted that way is more than I'm willing to put up with.

I was working with rear panel inclination angles from Caterham.

I actually started with the seat flat, and measured with the front raised 1", 2", and 3"

I found it a bit uncomfortable, but this was assuming seat-bottom and heel rest being at the same height. I was thinking about it later and decided I'm going to go back and see how it feels with the seat 1" higher than heel rest, and 2" higher than heel rest to see if it's any more comfortable.

I'll be bringing my 1-2-3 blocks next time :D

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 5:40 pm 

Another middy builder, and 4AGE at that :cheers: So your goal is something like this, right?

http://www.sylva.co.uk/riotR1.html

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 6:57 pm 

I'm hoping mine comes out more traditional looking. Less slope to the front end, normal Locost nose. 2300mm wheelbase, or 2260mm.

Nice build! I've got an AE111 20v and C60 six-speed from my AW11 for this thing. 4A-Gs are my schtick.