Had some free time this weekend, so I focused on building the mounts for the front cycle fenders. I looked around on the forums at other designs and decided to scrap the aluminum ones I started to build a while back. I felt they would not be strong enough to hold up long term and decide the couple of pound added by doing them in steel may save me from remaking a couple months down the road.
cycle3.JPG [ 602.89 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
I kept it pretty simple. Two tabs with ½ tubing bent in 90 degrees welded to them. Then to straighten up the assemble I triangulated the two pieces. Doing my scientific pulling and tugging test it seems fairly strong. Then for each wheel assembly I made up four tabs to be welded onto the tubes and taped them for 10-32 screws that will come through the top side of the fender with rubber washers and Locktite.
cycle4.JPG [ 376.86 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
The photo show cap head screws, but I’ll change them to either button heads with rubber washers to protect the paint.
cycle5.JPG [ 517.01 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
Sunday night I then put a couple coats of high build primer to smooth out the fiberglass. These parts where from Cloveland Motorsports and the gel coating was not a smooth as the rear fenders and scuttle I picked up from Kinetics. Nothing two coats of high build primer and some wet sanding won’t fix. Last night I wet sanded them down with 500 grit, tonight some sealer primer and paint. I'll post pics when done.