LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 11:45 am 

Started my build on April 21st of this year. I've gotten a decent way through the project. I decided it was about time to throw up some some pictures and make a build thread. The plan is to use a 351C 4V from the father in laws old swapped Ford Maverick. For a rearend is a 1999 4x4 Chevy Blazer with the factory Gov-loc limited slip diff.
Threw the body panels on and the motor on the table for mock up.
Motor mounts mocked up.
Rearend and four link mocked up.
Front suspension mocked up.
First time on its own legs.
Floors welded on (16 gauge steel) and roll hoop made (1 3/4" .120 wall).
Steering mocked up, Wilwood clutch/brake setup installed, and seats thrown in. Decided to roll it out for some quick pictures. Used a Mustang II steering rack that was shortened six inches and shaft was machined down to same cut-off end.
Headers welded up. Might be a little on the loud side. Primaries are 2 1/8" and the collector outlet is 4". I'll probably reduce both sides down to 3"
I should be working on getting the motor to fire up next and cleaning it all up/painting it.

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 1:10 pm 
The voice of reason

Quick progress! Did you shorten the steering rack or buy the pre-shortened version? How much clearance are you using under your sump? Seems those shapes aren't the best for us, i was wondering about building an aluminum sump the other day...

Welcome!

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 1:56 pm 

I ended up shortening the mustang 2 housing and shaft by six inches and I took the shaft to a machine shop to get the threaded end machines back on. I'm running the engine level to the bottom of the frame so the sump is as low as the bottom of the frame. My ride height will be at about 6 inches.

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 2:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Andrew-
That's one helluva first post, Bro! You must be good people, only the best folks put a Ford V8 in a Se7en... Just ask Rod or Jon or Trochu... :mrgreen: And you're goin' with a big-block, too... Cool...

It's looking good, keep the pictures coming! I especially like the header design, very good looking. Is that a "first time" for building headers?

Good luck with it! Keep us posted...
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 3:17 pm 

Nice job..what tranny is it running?..love the 4'' collectors ..makes it look kinda Evil :shock: and we all know at team slotus ..thats a good thing :wink: :cheers:

:cheers: Kiwi Dave

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 3:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Damn, I wanted him to think he was joining a respectable bunch of folks, Dave... And then you have to go and mention Team Slotus... Oh well, too late now... :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 4:27 pm 

laserracer wrote:
Nice job..what tranny is it running?..love the 4'' collectors ..makes it look kinda Evil :shock: and we all know at team slotus ..thats a good thing :wink: :cheers:

:cheers: Kiwi Dave

Yeah, the headers were a first for me. I've done a log turbo manifold before but those are pretty straight forward compared to these headers. I ended up getting a universal weld up header kit for a big block chevy... needless to say, their definition of universal means I had to cut it to bits and order up more bends and flanges to make it work.

As for the tranny, I'm running a Borg Warner Super T10 four speed manual using a old school Hurst Vertigate inline shifter. Should be pretty interesting... The motor and transmission/shifter setup was free, so I can't complain.

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 5:15 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
Damn, I wanted him to think he was joining a respectable bunch of folks, Dave... And then you have to go and mention Team Slotus... Oh well, too late now... :rofl:

Don't worry I'll hypnotise him and give him temporary Magnesium and he'll forget we were ever here.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 6:51 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

Don't worry I'll hypnotise him and give him temporary Magnesium and he'll forget we were ever here.

temporary Magnesium..too funny :shock: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 8:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

As long as we don't give him Milk of Magnesium, like that last guy... What was his name again? I just called him "Stinky"...

EDIT--
Ya know, guys, this is Andrew's build log, and I'm thinkin' we might be having too much fun... Maybe we oughta let him have some time to post, you know, some stuff about the car he's building or something...

Sorry, Andrew, back to the topic...

JDK

PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 10:40 pm 

Haha, not a problem at all. I really can't wait to get the thing in go kart mode. Hopefully I won't have too many hiccups with the engine.

PostPosted: June 22, 2012, 3:55 am 

Great choice with the rear axle, narrow for a Locost but tuff enough for the V8's torque.

Will be a wild machine that's for sure and amazing that you will have Supercar performance for $*locost*$.

GonzoRacer wrote:
As long as we don't give him Milk of Magnesium, like that last guy... What was his name again? I just called him "Stinky"...

Maybe with the acceleration potential of this build Andrew won't need any supplements to end up being nicknamed "Stinky" .... :lol:

PostPosted: June 22, 2012, 5:40 am 

you will hate the Gov-Loc. One wheel will spin a like crazy then the diff locks 100% (with a loud clunk) and you go into severe understeer mode. You can get a torsen from a late 90s camaro that will bolt right in (28 spline axles). I found one on ebay for $100 or so. I have a 1/2 chevy truck with the gov-loc. Its good for snow or mud, but thats about it. Other than that, I love the car!

PostPosted: June 22, 2012, 11:11 am 

Yeah, I've heard lots of bad things about the gov loc diggs. Especially for their tendencies to like to turn into grenades. I was assuming I was buying a standard open diff when I went and pulled it from the junk yard but was surprised when I opened up the case. I'll defineyly be doing the camaro diff swap out in the future.

PostPosted: June 23, 2012, 7:21 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Maybe with the acceleration potential of this build Andrew won't need any supplements to end up being nicknamed "Stinky" .... :lol:

Cheapracer, you sound like my buddy James. He's starting a pool on when and where I first soil my shorts in the Slotus. (You might say his pool is about when I make mine... :ack: ) James picks at the starting line, as soon as I floor the throttle the first time. :ack:

Andrew, another rear axle choice is the Ford 8.8, just so's you can stay with the Blue Oval bits. It's plenty strong, lots of ratios available, and available in IRS or "stick axle" form. Some of 'em (Explorers, and maybe Rangers, I think?) have an offset diff --i.e. one long axle shaft and one shorter one-- that might help out with interior room. Just my .02... :mrgreen:

:cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next