LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 12, 2012, 2:59 pm 

apologies if this is in the wrong place to post!

Hi all,
My name is Rob. I'm a new forum member from New Hampshire.

After being inspired by the build logs, I'm thinking very seriously about trying a locost build, but I'm hoping to limit the possibility of serious "gotchas" before starting. I'd really appreciate hearing any tips about titling/registration from any builders especially located New Hampshire, even if you haven't completed the whole process yet.

I've been looking through the DMV website and it seems that:

1) NH generally determines the vehicle year based on the year of the frame. So a new frame would need a new engine :(

2) But if the vehicle could be registered as a replica, then an old engine could be used. This sounds like how it worked for chubbyhubby's locost in Vermont: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6970
Unfortunately, NH seems to pay the most attention to street rods, so who knows if they'll consider a Lotus replica

3) It sounds like it is not kosher in NH to use the VIN number from the donor vehicle and say it's just a modified version

I'm pretty much swimming in all the registration jargon on the websites, so any help with getting some clarity would be awesome. I'm planning to visit the local DMV early this week with a picture of a Locost and an old Lotus 7, and see if I can't find out about registering as a replica

BTW, I'm considering a 442 frame + Mustang V8 build similar to Rod's Locost 5.0

Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 6:28 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

http://statutes.laws.com/new-hampshire

Title XXI appears to be a good place to start reading.

An opinion on a website means nothing to the State.

In general, it is illegal for a person to remove and/or install a previously installed VIN plate for obvious reasons.

Read regs first.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 14, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Rob which part of the state are you in? Including you we've got the necessary quorum to start a locost lounge!

I transferred my lotus into the state so the process was different. If you can wade through all the regulations I believe that as long as you preserve your donor's obd functionality then it isn't too onerous a process.
Brokeass likely knows more

Cheers

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 11:46 am 

Thanks for the link, Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F. I read through some of the laws already, but it's still hard to figure out what's what. I'll keep at it though :) :BH:

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 11:57 am 

wemtd wrote:
Rob which part of the state are you in? Including you we've got the necessary quorum to start a locost lounge!

I transferred my lotus into the state so the process was different. If you can wade through all the regulations I believe that as long as you preserve your donor's obd functionality then it isn't too onerous a process.
Brokeass likely knows more

Cheers

I'm in Laconia area, Lake Winnipesaukee. I was in Southern NH a few years ago though. I'm looking forward to Locost meets in the future :)

I'd be thrilled if I can just keep obd-ii on an old-ish engine and run like that

When you transferred your car in, did they care about the year of the engine vs the frame? Also, I'm curious, is your car titled as an old Lotus or a new composite?

Thanks!
Rob

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 12:34 pm 

I just called the Concord DMV. I explained about the car and the lady said it would probably be titled as a kit car.

From what she said, the first stop for titling would be the State Police, where they do an inspection and put the VIN on. The same inspection is done for salvaged vehicles.

Troop G, which is closest to Lake Winni, apparently does the inspections once a month. So I'll probably go up there with photos of a Locost and a 1960s Lotus 7 and see what I can find out. I tried calling the Troop G office but was quickly referred back to the Concord DMV for any titling questions.

And I didn't hear yet anything against having an older engine in a new frame --

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 12:46 pm 

I am not from NH. Nor have I ever registered a vehicle in NH. Notwithstanding that NH is not a SEMA legislation state, it would appear that building a Locost, getting an assigned VIN, and getting it registered would be an achievable goal. It would probably fall under the reconstructed vehicle catgory as all homebuilt cars do in NH. If you use an engine in any reconstructed vehicle from prior to 1996, then there is no OBDII requirement. You have already found that little gem. Further, it looks like NH has a "replica of antique vehicle" class. According to the below quote, in NH, a replica 1960 Lotus 7 would only require the equipment that was std on the car in 1960. That would imply to me that since there were no emissions requirements until 1967, then you might get by with any year engine. Bumpers, backup lights, defrosters etc may all be up for elimination. A lot of homework would be required in this area.

The State of New Hampshire defines an antique vehicle as one that is at least 25 years old, so a 2012 Locost would certainly qualify as a "replica" of an Antique vehicle.

Quote:
PART Saf-C 3225 REPLICAS

Saf-C 3225.01 Replicas of Antique Vehicles.

(a) Replicas of antique vehicles shall not be considered antique motor vehicles for the purposes of inspection.

(b) All replica antique vehicles shall comply with the laws, rules and the manufacturer's specifications of the passenger vehicle chassis on which they are based.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 15, 2012, 1:36 pm 

Keep this thread going please. I will probably title and register in NH using my son's address in Pelham.
Paul Harhen

PostPosted: August 17, 2012, 9:43 am 

rx7locost wrote:
I am not from NH. Nor have I ever registered a vehicle in NH. Notwithstanding that NH is not a SEMA legislation state, it would appear that building a Locost, getting an assigned VIN, and getting it registered would be an achievable goal. It would probably fall under the reconstructed vehicle catgory as all homebuilt cars do in NH. If you use an engine in any reconstructed vehicle from prior to 1996, then there is no OBDII requirement. You have already found that little gem. Further, it looks like NH has a "replica of antique vehicle" class. According to the below quote, in NH, a replica 1960 Lotus 7 would only require the equipment that was std on the car in 1960. That would imply to me that since there were no emissions requirements until 1967, then you might get by with any year engine. Bumpers, backup lights, defrosters etc may all be up for elimination. A lot of homework would be required in this area.

The State of New Hampshire defines an antique vehicle as one that is at least 25 years old, so a 2012 Locost would certainly qualify as a "replica" of an Antique vehicle.

Quote:
PART Saf-C 3225 REPLICAS

Saf-C 3225.01 Replicas of Antique Vehicles.

(a) Replicas of antique vehicles shall not be considered antique motor vehicles for the purposes of inspection.

(b) All replica antique vehicles shall comply with the laws, rules and the manufacturer's specifications of the passenger vehicle chassis on which they are based.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. Soon I'll visit the frame inspection place and should have more to post

PostPosted: August 17, 2012, 10:10 pm 

Rob
I forgot to mention talking with your town clerk Since these are the people who will be handling much of your paperwork: making nicey nice with them is helpful. They will likely contact Concord where there is one very nice lady (can't remember her name and have been sworn to secrecy not to divulge it) who knows about the rebuilt/antique/kit/hotrod special registration issues.

cheers

PostPosted: August 18, 2012, 6:53 pm 

wemtd wrote:
Rob
I forgot to mention talking with your town clerk Since these are the people who will be handling much of your paperwork: making nicey nice with them is helpful. They will likely contact Concord where there is one very nice lady (can't remember her name and have been sworn to secrecy not to divulge it) who knows about the rebuilt/antique/kit/hotrod special registration issues.

cheers

Thanks for the heads up on that. Would you say that I should start chatting with the town clerk before I start the build? Or is it ok to wait til I'm nearing completion?

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 10:44 pm 

Wifey and I visited Tamworth DMV today and talked with the guy who does the inspections and VIN assignments. Nice guy, he didn't seem to mind all my questions at all and seemed to appreciate that I was organized. This is what I found out:

- the Locost will be titled with the year matching the year of the frame
- there is no problem using an old engine in the new frame :cheers:
- since it's a replica of an old car, emissions testing would match the car being replicated. There is a checkbox on the title application which reads "emissions testing not required".
- safety equipment needs to be updated somewhat from days of olde. New cars must have seatbelts, possibly a defroster, probably wipers. He'll check over the frame and make sure it looks kosher. The side exhaust needs heat shields to prevent burns. Things like that. He said they just need to ensure that the car is safe, and he seemed to mean what he was saying.
- the VIN number of the donor car is preferred (mainly so they can check for stolen parts). Bill of sale and paper trail may suffice instead. Definitely need engine/trans numbers. No frame number.

disclaimer: YMMV, the law for NH is a little vague and can be interpreted differently by different people. And I could have [easily] misunderstood something, so make sure you do a little research for your own car

edited for clarity

Last edited by Rob7 on September 16, 2012, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 15, 2012, 9:31 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

That's great! I love it when authority figures are intelligent and reasonable; can see the big picture and all that.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 15, 2012, 9:36 pm 

- HIJACK -
Wow, i'm begining to get the feeling there may be enough of us in NH to meet the necessary quorum for a locost lounge! (I think the minimum is 2)

Is there any interest in giving those Kentucky builders some roads to envy before the salt comes?

cheers
p.

PostPosted: March 17, 2017, 2:04 pm 

Bringing this back from the dead... it's been 4+ years, anyone do this yet? My town hall has great people but they are sometimes lead astray by the DMV so I'd like to start on the right path.

Thx!