LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homebrew Rust Remover
PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 3:15 am 
http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/articles/c ... p0906.html

Giving credit where credit due.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner1
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... ?tid=58877
I have found by far, the best rust removal solution is six parts water to one part black strap molases (the kind you get at our local horse feed market.
I take a 45 gal rubbermaid tub and make up the solution. It lasts for months (as long as you scrape the mould off the top) and it works fantastic. It will not attack paint or grease, so you take car of that first, then into the molasses for a week or so and the parts come out perfect! Just hose them off. Strange, but honest, it really works. And when you are done, just heave the mixture (basically sugar and iron oxide) onto your lawn with no ill effect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 11:54 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Concrete cleaner from Home Depot, Lowes, etc is diluted hydrochloric acid. It must be diluted further and the fumes are very unhealthy. Seriously bad stuff. It removes rust in a few minutes. Leave it too long and the part will be gone. It's best not to use it at all, just fyi.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 12:21 pm 

I use the Muratic Acid (diluted HCL) to remove the old zinc plating from parts before I replate them. If you are careful, use it in a VERY well ventilated area, and don't leave the part in there too long (if it's cold, it works slower) it works wonders. The parts come out like new. Works to get ALL the rust out of exhaust manifolds that have been found in JY. The HCL reacts slower to the cast iron and doesn't do as much damage to the structure. On steel parts, it will eat thru it pretty fast if you are not careful. I've used it for years now with great results. Just have to be very careful, and I mean very careful. When I get it it's diluted about 25:1 and I dilute it further so the reaction doens't happen too fast or too violently. If it's not diluted further, it will bubble up quite seriously, and release a lot of nasty fumes. There are safer removers of rust and plating now available that are reasonably priced. Eastwood has good products as well as some vendors on ebay. I've tried a lot of them with good results. I still use Muratic Acid becasue I have a lot in stock. Once it's gone, I will be changing over to something different. It does an awsome job of cleaning your driveway as well as cleaning the garage floor before painting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 12:25 pm 

Does this work better than the electrolysis method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9, 2007, 8:02 pm 
Databases fear me

the electrolysis method works well, but even though the chemicals used are benign the stuff produced in the reaction are extreemly toxic so I've been told.(no odor or taste to it, but can cause cancer and a lot of nastyness)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9, 2007, 8:24 pm 

The released chemicals aren't so bad if you don't use a stainless anode. If you use a steel anode, it's basicly hydrogen and oxygen. The steel anode will need cleaned and replaced a lot more than if you used a stainless anode, but the stainless anode is VERY dangerous. That is the one that makes the nastiness. Normally I use a scrap chunk of re-rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11, 2007, 1:11 am 
Feed store molases - $1.54 gal
Tap water .03 6 gal
Timeframe - 1 week
Worked a treat - free

I took a rusty pair of channel locks and put in the brew for a week came out looking nearly new, no rust. A light coating of the original rust was on the pliers but it rubbed off with fingernail. No fumes, no expensive chemicals, and no electricity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11, 2007, 10:44 am 
I can attest to the molasses method - my buddy uses this all the time. He put in a pair of Triumph seat runners that he's using on his Locost...they were a pile of rust when they went in to the mixture. After a few days, he fished them out and we holed them off with tap water. Looked like new, and all the mechanism worked like new as well! A quick coat of paint, and you'd never know they weren't new aftermarket items....

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11, 2007, 1:04 pm 

Very cool! Heheh Much better than hours scrubbing with naval jelly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17, 2007, 6:31 pm 

Would this brew work by spraying it on rusted sheet, or does the part have to be immeresed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17, 2007, 11:49 pm 
I believe that it must be immeresed since it is not a fast process. A warning, the part to be cleaned MUST be fully immeresed or the part sticking above the goo WILL rust. Guess how I know. You still get to do a bit of light scrubbing. I use a scotchbright and a small stainless welding brush. To cut down on reusting I have been doing a final polish with scotch bright and PB Blaster.

I have been debating using this on a realy crusty Bronco frame that is going under my Jeep YJ. If I do this I will simply make a 2x4 frame that fits around the frame and use some 6mil garden vynal to make a small above ground pool that would be filled with molassas/water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:41 pm 

jmanz6 wrote:
I use the Muratic Acid (diluted HCL) to remove the old zinc plating from parts before I replate them. If you are careful, use it in a VERY well ventilated area, and don't leave the part in there too long (if it's cold, it works slower) it works wonders. The parts come out like new. Works to get ALL the rust out of exhaust manifolds that have been found in JY. The HCL reacts slower to the cast iron and doesn't do as much damage to the structure. On steel parts, it will eat thru it pretty fast if you are not careful. I've used it for years now with great results. Just have to be very careful, and I mean very careful. When I get it it's diluted about 25:1 and I dilute it further so the reaction doens't happen too fast or too violently. If it's not diluted further, it will bubble up quite seriously, and release a lot of nasty fumes. There are safer removers of rust and plating now available that are reasonably priced. Eastwood has good products as well as some vendors on ebay. I've tried a lot of them with good results. I still use Muratic Acid becasue I have a lot in stock. Once it's gone, I will be changing over to something different. It does an awsome job of cleaning your driveway as well as cleaning the garage floor before painting.

$.02 from the coatings salesperson...

BE VERY CAREFUL with muriatic acid. Very. As said above, ventilation and dilution are extremely important to watch. Ignoring this can result in tragedy.

That said, the stuff is very effective in a lot of applications.