LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 24, 2006, 6:35 pm 
for those of you who race your creations, any thoughts on design philosophy?

I'm new to racing but I've definitely got the bug 8) So far I'm getting my feet wet at auto-x, but there's a couple of tracks nearby with acceptable classes for my MG that I'd like to frequent and try out for the day.

I guess I'm wondering about any thoughts on making the car competitive for either auto-x or track. Gearing is something that would seem to be compromised to me trying to do both and I wonder about tire size compromises (I'm thinking wider is better for auto-x since resistance is less important at those speeds compared to handling). Everything else seems like it would work well in either case....

Any thoughts for someone in the preliminary planning stage?

Also, what class would a locost typically fall into for auto-x? DM? I'm presently running FSP in my Midget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2006, 10:58 pm 
Biggest thing I can think of is to plan your roll bar/cage out ahead of time. Find out what sanctioning bodies you'll have to comply to and build to the toughest one that you'll race with.

As far as classing, in SCCA Solo II (Auto-x), if you're 2L and under, or I think a 12A rotary w/ mild porting (have to check on the rotary stuff), you can run D-Mod. Anything bigger, you go to E-Mod. The other thing to think about is minimum weights. D-Mod is less, around 1400, E-Mod is around 1700 I believe. You'd have to check, as I know they changed for this year.

--JOsh

PostPosted: April 26, 2006, 12:14 am 

robselina wrote:
for those of you who race your creations, any thoughts on design philosophy?

I'm new to racing but I've definitely got the bug 8) So far I'm getting my feet wet at auto-x, but there's a couple of tracks nearby with acceptable classes for my MG that I'd like to frequent and try out for the day.

I guess I'm wondering about any thoughts on making the car competitive for either auto-x or track. Gearing is something that would seem to be compromised to me trying to do both and I wonder about tire size compromises (I'm thinking wider is better for auto-x since resistance is less important at those speeds compared to handling). Everything else seems like it would work well in either case....

Any thoughts for someone in the preliminary planning stage?

Also, what class would a locost typically fall into for auto-x? DM? I'm presently running FSP in my Midget.

I agree with Josh that what you mainly need to focus on is your cage design and safety equipment. The one big difference I see in road racing from autocross is potential for a deadly high speed accident or rollover. Sanctioning bodies therefore require that the competitors car's safety equipment is up to spec. When you get a car inspected and issued a racing logbook they will go over it and inspect your tube thickness, verify it is the right grade, thickness and diameter tubing and that it is properly engineered. So you need to get it right and you should have a rulebook on hand to study as you design your car and it's safety equipment. There are other things like wheelbase measurements etc. that may effect the classing of your car. You don't want to build a car for a class where you will be a hopeless underdog.

As for specific classing I don't know for sure but I'll bet the folks over on sccaforums.com could set you straight. :wink: The scca club racing (road racing) rulebook is available for download online from their website.

PostPosted: May 2, 2006, 1:23 pm 
chetcpo wrote:
You don't want to build a car for a class where you will be a hopeless underdog.

Agreed. I'm going to have to look at the regulations closer but it seems like I need to stay under 2.0L I think I'd rather be light and relatively low power with a higher PAX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2, 2006, 1:25 pm 
CR_Turboguy wrote:
As far as classing, in SCCA Solo II (Auto-x), if you're 2L and under, or I think a 12A rotary w/ mild porting (have to check on the rotary stuff), you can run D-Mod. Anything bigger, you go to E-Mod. The other thing to think about is minimum weights. D-Mod is less, around 1400, E-Mod is around 1700 I believe. You'd have to check, as I know they changed for this year.

Interesting. Have to look into it closer. The CP, DP and EP classes all have very close PAX, so I'll have to look at the regulations in more detail and see which class might be more competitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18, 2006, 2:41 pm 

A Locost is not legal for Prepared. D or EM are your only choice for Solo in the SCCA. Prepared would only be for a real Lotus 7.

Also consider Time Trials (was old Solo 1) as another option. Generally safer and with less required safety equipment than club racing. In the SE Div a Locost can run in SM (used a a catch all class for streetable cars, not the same as the Solo2 SM), where it should be very competitive.

In club racing, Locost's don't fit in any of the National classes and normally end up in regional catch all classes like ITE or Super Production (where they typically face tube framed racecars with 600hp V8s).

NASA has a couple of club racing classes that suit a Locost well; Se7ens Challenge and Kit Car Challenge. But I don't think they have a lot of support yet.

Definately get familiar with the rules if you plan to compete. You wouldn't want to choose a 2.3L Duratec engine over a 2.0L Zetec only to find out later than that extra 0.3L requires you to run 300lbs of balast (DM weight vs EM weight).

Bruce F

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 1:57 pm 

Grintch wrote:
A Locost is not legal for Prepared. D or EM are your only choice for Solo in the SCCA. Prepared would only be for a real Lotus 7.

What about the new X Prepared? I am seeing Cobra clones in this class. Why not Lotus clones? Other than that, XP class carrys more minimum weight. Less of an advantage to the super light seven than the ground pounder V8's I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 2:55 pm 

locofinn wrote:
Grintch wrote:

What about the new X Prepared? I am seeing Cobra clones in this class. Why not Lotus clones? Other than that, XP class carrys more minimum weight. Less of an advantage to the super light seven than the ground pounder V8's I would think.

Yahoo's D & E mod group are going over this right now... AS far as I'm concern the Factory Fives has no business there, neither in prepared... That's what lobbying will get you I guess. I don't think a Cobra is the way to go in XP... For a locost to run in prepared, I think just the engine isssue would be a can of worms that the rulemakers would not want to open...

What are the difference between a car dedicated to Auto X vs Track... Weight and where it is... For an Auto-X car only: Smaller brakes, smaller gas tank, narrower track (if you can) smaller rad etc..etc.. then try to ballast the car to reach min weight.

Because of the speed difference and the rules, the roll over structure is quite different a simple 4 point roll bar will be required in Auto-X vs a multi point Roll Cage for the track...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10, 2006, 11:42 am 

Forgive my new and (perhaps) ignorant post...but do bike engine cars fit into the legality of DM or EM? Doing this on a budget, and also wanting to be competative (and of course a "project" is never finished), but with the advantage of a sequential gear box...just wondering of that will meet the rules.

I seriously doubt I'm going to be doing anything hardcore on the first itteration of this...maybe hit an event or two from the DC SCCA, a local run series in MD, and maybe a few Philly area SCCA events. Other than that, rip up the back roads and have people go "what the hell is that".

Can't wait to get my books...guess I should get an SCCA rule book too...

Perhaps a 4-4-2 chassis in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10, 2006, 12:42 pm 

sb427f-car wrote:
Forgive my new and (perhaps) ignorant post...but do bike engine cars fit into the legality of DM or EM? ...guess I should get an SCCA rule book too...

No Bike engines in DM/EM. Must be a production car engine. The block must have been used in a production car at some time, at some place.

Definately get a SCCA rule book and sign up for the Yahoo DMod list. Ask lots of quesitons so you don't build yourself into an AMod car. You can also download the rulebood for free from the SCCA website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10, 2006, 12:46 pm 

modernbeat wrote:
sb427f-car wrote:
Forgive my new and (perhaps) ignorant post...but do bike engine cars fit into the legality of DM or EM? ...guess I should get an SCCA rule book too...

No Bike engines in DM/EM. Must be a production car engine. The block must have been used in a production car at some time, at some place.

Definately get a SCCA rule book and sign up for the Yahoo DMod list. Ask lots of quesitons so you don't build yourself into an AMod car. You can also download the rulebood for free from the SCCA website.

Yeah, I will be doing that before I start hacking, sawing, and choping (or welding).

I know that we have a lot of SM classes though here in the east (and I think the local series that I'd try and run has it). Yeah, I need a rule book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10, 2006, 2:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

What do you want to accomplish with the car? Go out to a trackday and have a good time, or be in serious contention for a national title? There's a huge difference between the two.

This can be answered with: "What's your budget?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10, 2006, 3:04 pm 

KB58 wrote:
What do you want to accomplish with the car? Go out to a trackday and have a good time, or be in serious contention for a national title? There's a huge difference between the two.

This can be answered with: "What's your budget?"

Very true...

National title...is out of the question for years to come...I need to work on driver improvement more than anything.

Its pretty much gonna be something I can go out to and have a good time, maybe walk away with a trophy or two by the end of a season (if it's next season for instance, unlikely at this point). Budget...I haven't done enough research to set what I want and a budget....I have about 10million ideas right now. :lol: I've got lots of enthusasum, and waiting for the books doesn't help.

PostPosted: February 7, 2013, 11:03 am 

This might be a stupid question. I'm building a "1959 Locost" (wire wheels and styling cues.
THe drive train and many of the other pieces are pre-1974. WHat do you think the chances are that I could get this thing into vintage races?

PostPosted: February 7, 2013, 5:02 pm 

http://Www.svra.com is a good place to start looking. Many of the smaller clubs use their rules.