LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CA SB100 datapoint
PostPosted: August 28, 2013, 9:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

tonico wrote:
Thank you for the responses. I have another question. When you first apply for the sequence number from what I have read you are supposed to have a temporary VIN. This is not an issue if you have an actual kit car as it is supposed to be supplied by the manufacturer of the kit.
In our case there is no kit manufacturer. So no temporary VIN. Now what?
TIA
Tony

No temporary VIN as far as I know, it's just left blank.

PostPosted: August 28, 2013, 10:27 am 

The CHP now assigns you a temporary VIN. So the initital steps are go to the DMV, have them give you a form with the information you need to set up an appointment with the CHP. After the CHP signs off on the car, go back to the DMV with your temporary VIN and request a certificate of sequence. Then set up your appointment with the smog ref, who will assign your vehicle model year.

You're right that the default model year is 1960, but only if you have a SPCNS certificate. Otherwise it's the year of the engine, regardless what the car looks like.

PostPosted: August 28, 2013, 11:26 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

nick47 wrote:
The CHP now assigns you a temporary VIN. So the initital steps are go to the DMV, have them give you a form with the information you need to set up an appointment with the CHP. After the CHP signs off on the car, go back to the DMV with your temporary VIN and request a certificate of sequence. Then set up your appointment with the smog ref, who will assign your vehicle model year...

When did the rules change? If true it means that you cannot obtain an SB100 number before the car is completed. It also means that after you finish the car, you have to wait until the first of the year in order to move the process along...

PostPosted: August 28, 2013, 11:46 am 

Yes, according to the five clerks and two supervisors at the two DMV offices I visited. That was a very frustrating day. I just about pleaded with them to call Sacramento and get me a certificate, but they refused. They insisted the CHP would have to assign a VIN before I could get a certificate. I'm not sure the car needs to be complete, but you definitely need the major components on it so the CHP can determine that you didn't steal anything.

I gave up, and just decided to register my car as a '72. I still have the smog gear, and after the initial inspection it won't need to be smogged again. If I had a later engine, I'd wait until next year to get that certificate.

PostPosted: August 30, 2013, 7:38 am 

nick47 wrote:
Yes, according to the five clerks and two supervisors at the two DMV offices I visited. That was a very frustrating day. I just about pleaded with them to call Sacramento and get me a certificate, but they refused. They insisted the CHP would have to assign a VIN before I could get a certificate. I'm not sure the car needs to be complete, but you definitely need the major components on it so the CHP can determine that you didn't steal anything.

I gave up, and just decided to register my car as a '72. I still have the smog gear, and after the initial inspection it won't need to be smogged again. If I had a later engine, I'd wait until next year to get that certificate.

I am trying to understand what you are planning to do. Are you saying that you are going to register your car as '72 production Lotus 7 (assuming a Locost) rather than a SPCNS? In other words a restored vehicle?
If you are going to use the engine as a means to date the car, from everything that I have read the process is exactly the same except the referee station will look at the engine year it resembles rather than the body/chassis.
Tony

Tony

PostPosted: August 30, 2013, 12:21 pm 

The car will be registered as a 1972 California Specialty Vehicle. The year of the engine is the year of the engine. It doesn't matter what it resembles, just what it came out of. The model year is for smog purposes only. If the smog ref uses the engine to determine that, he really doesn't care what the car looks like, so long as it's homebuilt and not a restored production vehicle, i.e. it fits the legal definition of a California Specialty Vehicle.

The rules are different for restored vehicles. I'm no expert there, but I believe the model year for smog purposes is the more recent of the engine or chassis.

PostPosted: November 18, 2013, 9:27 pm 

Okay, I just got my SPCNS certificate today, 11/18, so if there were only 22 left in July, then:

a) They're not giving them out in numerical order, OR
b) Fewer than 21 certificates have been given out since July, OR
c) Kurt's buddy was mistaken

Not a reflection on Kurt. Mistakes can be made. However, my number was nowhere near 479. If they are being given out in numerical order, there's still a couple hundred available.