LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tool advise
PostPosted: October 26, 2013, 10:36 pm 

Alright, a little background:

I'm 28 years old, and I have decided that I want to build my own car. I've bought and read Kimini, and I've been following Midlana. My plan is to start a Midlana build when the book comes out. I have little, to no mechanical / automotive background, so things will be slow going. That being said, I want to buy tools that will be easy to use, and won't cause unnecessary headaches. I would rather buy new tools, than hunt around for used ones on craigslist. I have a pretty flexible budget.

Hopefully by the time the Midlana book comes out, I'll have learned to TIG weld, and acquired most of the needed tools. I just have a couple of questions. Right now I have a fairly empty two car garage. I would like to keep my build to one garage, or 1.5 garages (Happy wife; Happy life...). I have most of the necessary hand tools (sockets, wrenches, drivers, clamps, etc.)

I have a 4 gallon 4.2 cfm at 90psi air compressor. Should I add a 10 or 20 gallon auxiliary tank to give me more volume? Is the 4.2 cfm just too little to be practical?

Do you guys use many air tools besides impact guns and ratchets? I don't think the 4.2 cfm will work a cutoff wheel or other tools.

I have a dewalt angle grinder. Should I buy 1 or more Harbor freight throwaways?

I need to buy both a bench grinder and a bench vise. I was looking at Yost and Wilton vises for approximately $200, and a metabo grinder for $270. Should I spend $200+ for each of them on amazon.com or are the harbor freight bench grinder and vises suitable?

Do you recommend a separate grinding station / rolling cart to keep all of the grinding tools in one area?

Next on my list is a drill press. Once again, should I spend $400 on a harbor freight drill press, or $900 for a jet, delta, or grizzly?

The next similar decision is whether to go with a harbor freight horizontal band saw or a jet, delta, or grizzly vertical band saw?

Does it make sense to get a cold metal cutting saw instead / as well?

I appreciate any help and responses. I know I asked a lot of questions. Thank you in advance.

-Matt

Post subject: Re: Tool advise
PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 10:16 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

No need for a compressor. Use electrical conduit large enough to slip over a wrench for additional leverage. Use 6 point 3/8 drive sockets to break most fasteners loose.

If you are restoring parts, a compressor twice that size and capacity would work well to support a blasting cabinet.

A dewalt should be fine. Sears makes an electric die grinder that works well with cut off discs.
Get a milwaukee hand held bandsaw and 10/14tpi blade. The hbf/northern tool version works well also. Handhelds are much more useful.
Use chorded tools with higher amp/HP ratings, like a milwaukee 9 amp 3/8 drill.

Won't need a drill press very much if at all.

I suggest a portable 4 leg stand for the bench grinder.

I'd use a hbf vise but avoid the power tools, with the exception of the band saw, though some have had good luck with the grinders.
The hbf bandsaw blades come in a 3 pak are very good quality.

PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 10:53 am 

You've asked a number of questions Matt and I don't have answers for them all, but I'll add in my 2 cents worth and try to be helpful.

Learning to weld well is huge. TIG is tricky with the thin materials we're using. MIG is much faster and easier. I started out with a small, steel-only TIG welder, but switched to MIG after a few weeks. I've not regretted that decision.

You don't have to buy all your tools at once. I don't know what the Midlana requirements will be in terms of a build table and tooling, but your first two "big" tasks will be the build table (or jig) and building the chassis. Focus on what you need for those two things. They are going to take you a little while.

In the mean time, monitor you local Craig's List, newspapers, swap meets, etc. for tools you'll need and buy the best stuff you can within the budget you have. You can get some screaming deals if your patient and watchful.

I also buy Harbor Freight tools. But, now, I wait until something I need is on sale and when I also have a 20% or 25% off coupon. Depending on the item and how much it is discounted for the sale, you can get it for 40%-50% off in the best cases. Usually, it is more like 25%-35% off, but that's quite a bit. Magazines like Hot Rod or similar often have 25% off coupons that are good for 6 months or more.

I tried all the cutting methods; abrasive cut off saw; hand-held bandsaw; hand held hack saw; etc., etc. In the end, I bought a nice, used Grizzly metal-cutting bandsaw and a HF horizontal bandsaw and they work very well. You'll still need a good set of files plus a good hacksaw and a 4"-5" tilting vise that will hold your tubing and RHS for final fitting work IMHO.

A 4-1/2" grinder is essential as are 2 or more 1/4" drills for drilling and wire brushing metal, welds, etc. They are so cheap now that I keep ones dedicated to certain tasks and never take the tools out of the chuck. Harbor Freight makes some good ones and they are very reasonable and on sale often. Read through the Harbor Freight Tool Review Thread.

Yes, get a roll-around combo type tool chest to hold all your tools and give you some place to set things. Also, get several good, 3-wire extension cords (15'-25') with and without multiple sockets on the end. They will save you a lot of hassle.

I hope this helps,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 12:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Since I'm at least partially responsible for this...

Air tools save time. How much that's important to you, only you can answer, but no, you probably don't really need them. Back when I started, cordless drills were a lot less capable than they are now. Get a good cordless drill (with two batteries) and you're all set. Things like metal shears, which can be air powered as well, are also available that run off 115 VAC. As far as something like an air wrench, really good ones cost a lot. As was said above, just use a wrench and a long lever. Air compressors are also very loud and take up valuable floor space. Doing it over again I'd stay all-electric, and that goes for a die-grinder as well.

Wilton vices are one of the best. Do you need the best? No. I think I got mine in Home Depot; just try to find one where the two sides of the vice are fairly well registered. With the really cheap ones, one side can shift relative to the other.

Angle grinder: For some reason, I never did use mine much, though many builders seem to.

Chop saw: I used a "cold saw" for the early cuts on the tubes. A band saw can stand in for a chop saw, and doesn't throw grit all over the garage.

Bench grinder: An absolute necessity. Harbor Freight is "probably" okay. In addition to the grinding wheel, put a deburring wheel on the other end. It's probably to one "tool" that I used most often.

Drill press: Can it be done without? Yes, but a drill press is so very useful, it should be on the must-have list.

Tubing notcher: Having one is why I didn't use the angle grinder much. It does such a good job it's hard to justify not having one.

Band saw: This, along with the bench grinder, is the most valuable tool. After wearing out the small 4.5" unit on the Kimini build, for the Midlana build I stepped up to a Grizzly upright band saw. They're so versatile for everything it's hard to imagine the amount of time it's saved. (I never did use the horizontal/vertical saw in the horizontal mode enough to put up with the shortcomings that it causes.)

[Now you have me editing my tool chapter...]

PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 4:44 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
. . . <snip> . . .
I tried all the cutting methods; abrasive cut off saw; hand-held bandsaw; hand held hack saw; etc., etc. In the end, I bought a nice, used Grizzly metal-cutting bandsaw and a HF horizontal bandsaw and they work very well. . . .<snip>

I'm glad to see Kurt chimed in since he is the "Worlds Leading Expert" on the Midlana. :lol:

I'm also glad to hear that he agrees with the Grizzly bandsaw. Buying mine took my cuts and fitting to a new level and that made me very happy. I should have added to the text of my first post that I bought the HF horizontal saw (item #93762) first, thinking it would do for cutting angles too since it has an angle-adjustable vise built in. DUMB!

It was not practical enough, or accurate enough, in that mode, especially for compound angle cuts. However, it fits a purpose, which is cutting manageable chunks from the steel as delivered into something you can use with the Grizzly bandsaw. Steel tube and RHS comes in 20' foot lengths in the USA. Most suppliers will cut it into 2, 10' lengths for you for a small charge so you can manage and store it in a home garage/shop.

But 10' is not suitable for final cutting in a bandsaw. It's way too big, so you'll need to cut out a chunk large enough to get the final piece you need, with all it's angled cuts taken out on the vertical bandsaw. In truth, you could cut your "chunks" with a hand hacksaw. However, you'll have square butt joints in places and the HF horizontal does that very well indeed.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 5:28 pm 

I'm on the other end of my tool aquisition years. Now, every purchase comes with the "where am I gonna put it when I'm done with it" and "When is the next time I will use it" question. If I don't have a good answers, my choice will be toward the smaller, but more easily stored, tool. It may take longer for any specific task but in the long run, that extra time is not really that much. You would be amazed at what can be accomplished with an average vice, an old, worn 2HP 115V compressor, 3 HF angle grinders, a couple of hand drills and a 115V Mig. My favorite tool that I used (borrowed actually) was the electric powered shears for cutting the aluminum sheet. Probably the one specailzed tool I'd recommend you get/borrow.

Yeah I said 3 grinders up there. Cutoff wheels work fairly well for tube cuts, either straight or angled. Grinding wheels work good for the touchup of amature welding and fitting fishmouths. And a wire wheel in the other will clean up things pretty fast. It is handy to have all 3 available at any one time. But again, if you are willing to swap out the wheels, it only takes one grinder.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 27, 2013, 11:00 pm 

I swapped out a lot of wheels during my build. Not being able to afford the best tools, or even very many cheap ones, I took satisfaction from making things without having the best tool for the job.

PostPosted: October 28, 2013, 4:22 pm 

I've been using the 3 grinder approach ( same attachments ). One of them ( a 4" ) was from a sale at my local hardware store....it was $8 or $12. Used it hard for 2 & 1/2 years before it packed it in. Now I'm waiting for another sale ( might go name brand this time ).

I have been given the advice ( from a prof. welder ) that you never really have to tighten the locking nut ( on a grinder ) more than hand tight - he's never had them come off. ( speed up the swapping process ).

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 12:13 am 

Tools, I have three harbor freight 4&1/2" grinders. I have a different cutter/sander on each one, saves time changing tools. For about 15$ each you can't beat them. They hold up pretty well, then just throw them away and get a new one. Some have lasted me several years of hard use, a couple haven't. The Harbor Freight bench top 12" disk sander is a great buy at $99 on sale. I really used that a lot during my build for cleaning up ends of cuts before welding. Well worth the money. I bought a pipe bender for something like $75 bucks to do the rear bends and the dash bends. Worked well. I have the Harbor Freight sheet metal cutting shears and a nibbler too. Cheap and good enough for hobby use. Worked great for the aluminum work. I did most of the steel tubing cutting with an abrasive saw for about $125. Loud and sort of messy but effective. I'd like a metal band saw but they take up sq footage my already crowded shop.
I have a really nice plasma cutter, a lower line Lincoln mig (with gas bottle) , and my gas rig. I tacked with the mig and welded with gas and nickel bronze rod. Lotus did the same. I really like gas welding but I have gotten pretty good with my mig too, over the 9 years it took me to finish building the 7. I'd love a tig but may never have the money for one.(these days) You have to have a "big" compressor for air tools. My duel stage twin cylinder with a 50 gallon tank is, sometimes, inadequate for the air tools I have. Electric tools will work just as well for hobby work. I have pictures of most of my tooling on my site, [url]Texaslocost.com[/url] good luck.
Wayne