LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: V8 Info
PostPosted: October 12, 2012, 3:48 am 

Underdog wrote that overhead cam v6 and v8 engines wont fit,take a look at my build..it fits very nicely .

PostPosted: October 13, 2012, 8:25 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Driven5 wrote:
...Maybe both of us (among others) could stand to be a bit less snarky at times when sharing our own opinions regarding other peoples statements which we happen to not necessarily see eye-to-eye with. :cheers:

Ok.

As for the advert, a new Caterham kit is about $23k, which is a long way from $60k, they don't break all the time, and an LS is the opposite of "light" compared to the drivetrains normally used. Is that really what you want here, Jack?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 1, 2013, 12:52 am 

http://www.uscaterham.com/showroom/R500.html $61k

I have F20c, M44, and Pontiacv8 400 in storage a state away. The S2000 is scary with the LS1 swap, and the ls1 has come in 55lbs over F20c. I am personally debating between building the F20c or buying a LSx for a locost after I rode in a S2k swaped with a LS2. It was magical....lol. :chev:

PostPosted: May 2, 2013, 12:19 pm 

I came late to this party but, I think the first Gen 350 got a bad shake here, yup its heavy, not as cool as the late model which is what I'd use these days. But, the old small block has ton's of after market support and will give a solid 400 horse without a lot of fuss. Heck I had a old 350 because I didn't want to mess with fuel injection at the time in my old Z car ('72) car weighed in at 2500 pounds 50/50 weight because nissan's six was so long the V8 sat back in the frame. The one I bought was a crate goodwrench motor for about 1200 bucks back then NEW). I put a comp cam (270 duration) and Weiand stealth Manifold and holley 600 Vac secondary (I should have gone mech sec but thats a personal preference). I also made the mistake of putting in the t56 SIX Speed and the car would literally light them up through the first three gears and that was just in the intersection, way short gears with my gearing. Fourth got you really moving, like from a crawl to warp speed. 5th and 6th were overdrives and it had a crazy top end on it.
On a light car like you guys are building losing 1000 pounds from what I built I can only imagine the push in the butt you'd get from the old chevy. That said today, sure I'd use the later model chevy or 5 litre Ford and definitely fuel injection no matter what it is, there just is no comparison, engines last longer and you can tune it to a degree you never can with carbs , I didn't use the ford because JTR's kit was set up for the old chevy and worked awesome. Anyway just thought I'd defend the old Small block champ as it really was the match of the Ford small block of its time. Thats my 2 cents and experience with the old small block, she'd really put out the power and the torque was what won the battles, there wasn't anything cheap production wise that was faster than what I built back then (this was about in 2000) If you have a wide car built to take a big V8 the old small block still has a lot of tricks up its sleeve.

Regards,
Don

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 3:21 am 

The BOP/Rover is dismissed in the first post?
Really?
No HP?
I beg to differ!
Just have to build them right, like any other engine.

I put them in several Noble P4's.
This one did 13.05 in the quarter, 160 MPH and might have been capable of more if didn't get so damn light at that speed.
Oh, and excellent mileage to boot.
Mounted ahead of a Renault/Delorean 5-speed transaxle.

As to the SB Chevy, let's be honest, the LS engines are so ugly even the factory hides them under a cover!
For a Seven type vehicle I would make it a 283 or 327 and let it rev.

Sorry for the BIG pics, put up and hosted before I learned how to resize.

PostPosted: January 6, 2014, 3:57 pm 

It's funny, as most are biased towards their car enthusiasm. I see this all the time in my work. I'm a car nut, no affiliation at all. Way too much cool stuff out there to care about one company that much.
My brief take in my almost 20 years of building and modding cars...
LS3's are a great package. Cheapest power, easiest to work on.
The new Coyote Ford V8 is a far better motor, but is large, and more expensive to mod. It makes more power stock, and with bolt-ons. After that, it is not as much of a value proposition. Honestly, stock and or bolt-ons, I'd take the Coyote 5.0L in a kit car. The Aluminator crate motor is unbelievable with a harness.
As far as the older v8's, the original 5.0L was great for under 400hp, seen lots split looking for 500. Cheap, lighter than the SBC, and parts gallore. The original SBC is a great motor, doesn't split, can easily be had with 4bolt mains, but is slightly heavier.
The 4.6L ford and 2nd gen GM sbc are ok, worth a pass IMO.
Never worked on many dodges, but the newer SRT8 based 6.1's are pretty finicky and not real strong in anything other than bolt-on form.
If you want an NA 4cyl, Toyota and Honda are tough to beat. The F20c/F22c is the best 4cyl I've driven stock. The 6spd tranny is the nicest I've personally shifted. The toyotas are less fun, but the reliability and quality of build are great. The k20/K24 is very powerful and mods so easy. One of the nicest cable-shifted tranny's made, just not as strong as the rwd stuff.
Subaru motors are neat, easy to work on, wide though, obviously.
The nissan VQ series in the 350z/G35 sound incredible, mod good, and take abuse for FI.
The SR20 is an incredible FI motor. Well built and easy to find.
The Dodge SRT-4 motor is iron and is capable of huge power, tranny is also robust.
The chevy ecotec is great for boost too. The Ford 4cyl's are good for most wants and needs, just not super impressive in any way. The newer stuff is pretty efficient, and the turbo ones are neat. They are cheap though.
The Audi 4.2L v8 is incredible. Smooth and rowdy all at the same time. The BMW v8's are nice, getting cheaper to grab as well.
Still have to decide on what I want from build #1....

PostPosted: January 6, 2014, 11:58 pm 

i had the discussion with a buddy of mine who Can't Understand New Technology, he drives a used modern truck with a buy in warranty ue has only old stuff appart from that.

he loves chevys because ford made too many different engines and trans combos.

i explained to him that chevys kept changing stuff as well, like in 1986 it all changed, thats 28 years ago, he thinks that they are the modern engines and he only tried to fit one once and the starter, flywheel and some other stuff wouldn't line up so he sold it all.

chevrolet had its golden days in the 60's and early 70's a span of about ten years before emmision standards reduced the corvette to about 150 hp.

all the manufacturers were in their glory days then but inspite of the aftermarket, that was the end until the late 90's when dodge came up with the viper powered by an engine that had nothing to do with a wedge or a hemi.

while european and japanese manufacturers were making advances including ford and vauxall(gm) in the u.k. here in the states manufacturers were only interested in stretching the old technology out as long as they could and making it as cheap as they could.

look at the european ford sierra, from about 1984, sold here as a merkur xr4i this car was the most popular car in the 80's in europe but in the U.S. it is obscure to say the least look at the technology in this car, multiple engines available, sports handling, aerodynamic.

its big brother the granada encompassed the same design philosophy, and compared to the U.S. granada available here was decades ahead

finally the u.s. manufacturers have got their heads out of their asses and understood that the buying public wants new technology even if it doesn't understand it, in the 60's all that mattered to the buyer was how long their caddy or lincoln was and did it have opera lights, now its how much technology it has but they still think its just a car and that doesn't take much to fix, until it goes wrong, hence my buddys insurance warranty. yes they want direct injection cos its the latest technology but don't understand why the head has to come off because the fuel doesn't clean the deposits off the inlet valves every 10000 to 15000 miles.

the hero engines are all long gone now and only because the aftermarket is there, have dragged their sorry asses into the 21 century, the aftermarket is moving on and will not support these dinosoars much longer, no one in their right mind would build a 500 hp small block when the junk yard will sell you an LS motor and trans for half the money and the thing can be reprogrammed to make the same 500 hp reliably, it already has fuel injection, that will cost you $2500 if you want to put it on your small block and it won't work as well as the LS stuff.

i'm 64 years old now but do not cling to the past, when i said to other car friends that i was going to put a duratec in my locost they all rolled their eyes and said things like do they make carbs for that, and its got no distributer that won't work

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 26, 2014, 1:37 pm 

The thing to recall about high-powered cars is that it's not real smart to drop 400 Hp into a package designed for 100, so you have to have an entire drivetrain designed for that amount of power, plus a stiff chasis, better brakes, et cetera. I'd never consider putting a lump that weighs over 400 lbs into the nose of a Locost, but that's because my view of a Locost is oriented to the track. On the street, a Miata or similar roadster is the more enjoyable car to drive 90 percent of the time. OTOH, I'd say that 50-70 percent of Stalker owners don't do more than cruise or the occasional autocross, in which case a SBC works just fine. As for the weight penalty of a LSX, VQ35 or similar all-aluminum 6 or 8, there's very little if anything compared to the iron block 4 bangers of old. They only suffer in comparison to all-aluminum mills like the Duratec 4 and such. Again, you have to consider the weight of that T-56, nine-inch rear, et cetera into the equation, but the bottom line is that your average Duratec build comes in around 1250 lbs and your average LSX build typically ends up 3-400 lbs. more. Given that stock for stock, a LS3 has over double the power of the Duratec, the weight just isn't that important in most ways. OTOH, high-reving, frequent shifting, featherweights are their own reward, so the builder just needs to find what turns them on and run with it.

What I need to educate myself more on are engine management systems. I hate the way Nissan and others make it so difficult to divorce the engine computer from the rest of the system. There's also variable valves and intakes to figure out and at some point, direct injection. Ah well, learning is fun! right?

PostPosted: April 8, 2014, 11:39 am 

Hi all,

Wondering about all your opinions on the BMW M62B44. I have a working motor and transmission(actually the whole car) and I really want to use it in a locost 442E frame using 1.25in tube instead of 1in tube.
The goal of the car is fun dd in Washington and occasional track day car.

I know it's not the best but for a fun car why not? Anyone have any strong feelings or opinions?

Cheers

PostPosted: July 23, 2014, 4:30 pm 

Well scuuuse me while I build a 500 HP SBC 327! :chev:
No F.I., all "Old School" fun.
Not really a LOCOST type car and mileage will not be great but it's just for ME and MY fun which is kind of a LOCOST type thing.
'68 El Camino with Muncie four speed and Jag IRS so it will corner and stop decently.

As far as I'm concerned the LS engines and all the rest of the "New" engines are so ugly even the factories hide them under a second cover.
Looks do count, if they didn't we would let Tatra and Yugo style our cars.

PostPosted: July 23, 2014, 5:22 pm 

Well I think that you should build whatever the heck you want! I have a British-American friend who's infatuated with SBCs in sub-2000 lb. cars, and likes to throw Superchargers on top as well. It's all fun and games, right?

As for aesthetics, it's totally subjective. I like a melding of looks and function, and the LSX works just fine for me. If you want to see a butt-ugly motor, peel the plastic off the top of a VQ35 and look at that intake:

Peel that intake off, replace with something more interesting (and taller) and get something like this:

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 3:10 pm 

I doubt you guys look acrosss the pond for a V8 but we have the home grown AJP engine which is lighter than a Zetec , available in dry sump , flat plane crank ,revs to the moon, comes with itb`s as standard and is tiny in comparison to all the others v8`s . About 600mm long and very narrow. Non to shabby at 418hp to 448hp with 7200rpm from the factory and 600hp in full race trim. The road version could pull a tvr to about 190mph without to much trouble.Second hand in this country about £3000. Have a read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melling_V8

http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/default. ... ryId=19361

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 3:20 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Bob, why aren't you using one of those? I don't have the numbers in front of me to compare it to the 302, but from memory that's lighter and definitely less tall than the 302

I prefer a revvy engine to a torquey engine.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 3:26 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Bob, why aren't you using one of those? I don't have the numbers in front of me to compare it to the 302, but from memory that's lighter and definitely less tall than the 302

I prefer a revvy engine to a torquey engine.

Thats the way I would go if I had not already got a mass of 302 engine stuff left over from playing with some GT40 kit cars. The engine I have is an early fourbolt main Boss engine with an internally balanced forged crank , ali heads and ITB`s so I am sort of committed.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 3:36 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0997.JPG

The Yamaha V-6 that came in the old Ford Taurus SHO's is an exceptional looking engine in my opinion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next