LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vancouver, BC
PostPosted: April 16, 2014, 3:39 pm 

Hmmm - temporarily fit a wheel from a '48 Buick? :?

Realistically, this rule doesn't make sense. It would be easy to demonstrate that with a 16" wheel, it wouldn't be possible to safely steer the car due to interference with the driver's legs (presupposing you could actually get INTO the car with one fitted!). I don't think I own a vehicle with a factory wheel that big...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: April 16, 2014, 5:08 pm 

Honestly, they won't even look at it or bother measuring it.
My wheel is 13-3/4 inches, in the my car it looks right, in a F250 it might look out of place.
These are the needless details we sweat over because we don't know any different.
Use the wheel you like, if for some out of world reason they don't like it then replace it with a larger unit, swap it back after the inspection.
On the other hand if you used the wheel you want right out at the start and it passes, you have saved yourself a lot of potential unnecessary work.
I contacted Nigel Mathews about using E code tail lights, I didn't want a problem with them, but on the other hand my family car has E code tail lights.
I asked Nigel what the situation would be on my 7 with the E code.
He contacted the head of BC motor vehicles inspections with my concern, the fellow sent me an email stating that as long as the lights were as bright as the
DOT lights they would be fine.
I used 1157 bulbs in them same as any DOT trailer light used and many older cars.
When the inspection came up the inspector looked at the lights, I was prepared to whip out my email, didn't need to, he asked me to step on the brake and turn on the lights and after checking the brake/tail light, said they were fine.
If you look at the inspection sheet they use it even has a box for doors, well we don't have doors, so they just check it off.
Maybe I can find a spare inspection sheet they use and scan it, if it helps, it is on line also somewhere, would have to look.

Al

PostPosted: April 16, 2014, 7:28 pm 

Thanks, Al. I always appreciate your insights.
It is the unknown, that makes this so frustrating. When I prepared for my airplane inspection, I had some questions, but the inspectors are absolutely not allowed to give answers; probably for liability reasons. So the mantra is, you build, we inspect, you fail, we come back to re-inspect. I had to pay the inspector 50 cents /km to come up from Vancouver, on top of the fees, so a re-inspection would not have been fun. In the end, just like your experience, I worried over nothing and passed with flying colours. But it still required a few ounces, for medicinal purposes, to unwind my nerves :shock:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: April 16, 2014, 11:42 pm 

Thanks for the info Al.

Regarding professionalism: I agree and this is why I am waiting until the car is all one colour and tidied up so as to make it as presentable as possible before showing anyone the car. I've actually already gone through the VIN process, so I hope it should be pretty easy to get it again.

The <16" wheel will pass unless it's stupid small, or a D-wheel (which may draw their attention to it). Almost every production car is <16" now.

Cheers.

Last edited by C10CoryM on April 29, 2014, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 17, 2014, 1:56 pm 

Exactly, it is the little things that give credibility and the possible allusion you thought things out, like a small rubber carb fitting over an exposed bolt end.
I have my aluminum front cycle fenders on the car now, but the leading edge could be a hazard if someone or child was to swing a hand carelessly as they went by.
So I used used 1/4" black door edge for the leading fronts, just to be on the safe side.
Details like that, so the inspector can pick up on the nuances, at least we hope he can. :lol:
The UK guys have to consider all this stuff if they want to pass, in that respect they are a valued resource for this kind of info.

Al

PostPosted: April 17, 2014, 9:55 pm 

This the form they use, at least at the time I had mine done.
When it comes to items like Airbag which we don't have they just check it off as passed as it has no category for our vehicles.

Al

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3199.pdf

PostPosted: April 27, 2014, 7:28 pm 

Hello, I have been looking over this forum for many years now, 6 years actually but this is my first post. I'm from Chilliwack BC and starting the process of insuring my locost.
I still have a few detail to finish but the car is pretty much done. Do you guys know of any facility here in chilliwack that would be familiar with the super 7's?
I don't have a windshield, just a deflector and no bumpers. Those are the 2 things that are making me nervous.
I would like to find an inspector that would be able to tell me before hand what exactly they want before I apply for the VIN number or go through the work of making windshield and bumpers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 10:11 am 

Gabriel wrote:
Hello, I have been looking over this forum for many years now, 6 years actually but this is my first post. I'm from Chilliwack BC and starting the process of insuring my locost.
I still have a few detail to finish but the car is pretty much done. Do you guys know of any facility here in chilliwack that would be familiar with the super 7's?
I don't have a windshield, just a deflector and no bumpers. Those are the 2 things that are making me nervous.
I would like to find an inspector that would be able to tell me before hand what exactly they want before I apply for the VIN number or go through the work of making windshield and bumpers.

Tim over at Thunderhorse Garage has done one, not mine, I went to Trukool in Langley.
He is personable and a nice guy to deal with, you could give him a drop by, he is in Greendale.

Al

http://www.thunderhorsegarage.ca/

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 9:56 pm 

Thanks Al, I'll go see him tomorrow after work. I was just in greendale a couple of days ago, I went to Greendale Motors but the guy right away started talking about engineered frame and on and on so I did say much and just left.

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 2:05 pm 

Al,
thanks for posting that inspection form. Great info.

Gabriel,
nice looking build. I like your roll cage. Post some more pictures and info, if you can. It is always good to know what local builders are doing, and I would especially appreciate hearing about your inspection. I am also planning on no windshield.
Thanks.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 8:46 pm 

Gabriel, Tim is an easy going guy, family shop runs a 10 sec mustang at Mission, I think he would be quite willing to work with you to get it passed.
In some ways it is a learning curve for them as much as it is for ourselves.
Martin if you want I can look for my inspection form and if you want to pm me I can go over what was a concern and what was not.
At least as far as my own situation went.
I cant say whether it is the same in every case.

Al

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 2:04 pm 

Hello,

Im new to this forum. I have been looking into inspection and cert for a Ubuilt car that resembles more of a Ar-i-el At-om than a Locost and this thread seems to have the best info on the subject. I have some parts but nothing built yet so before getting started I would like to get in touch with an inspector who would be interested to take on this project with me. The design is very similar to locost, but with the engine in the back. I see that some you in this thread have passed their cars as Ubuilts, I assume that category would apply to mine as well. is that correct?
I did call Trukool and I was told that my car would have to comply with all of applicable sections of 2015 CVMSS (ABS, Stab control, Airbags, ODBII, Child restraints, etc) for a passenger car. From reading this thread, Im not seeing that this is the case. Is the process difference for a design that doesn't "look like" a Super 7?
I appreciated any help or suggestions.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 7:07 pm 

No, the process is the same for all Ubuilt cars.
I doubt you would find a shop that could spare the time to assist you through your build as you progressed.
They are not set up for the cost that would come your way for the time spent.
Basically you need to construct a vehicle that meets basic highway codes as far as lighting, fenders (which could be removed after) seat belts etc.
Use the same criteria as a hot rod or any other kind of home built car, call it what you want.

What I would suggest is to get an icbc rep involved to assist in what you are doing, the fellow I worked with was very good and had a lot of input to my inspection shop.
I don't recall his name off hand but can look it up from my paperwork if you want.
Talk to them explain what you are trying to accomplish, send a photo of something similar and ask what if they can provide guidance, be sincere.
If they are involved from the beginning they will have a lot of input to the shop you select for your final inspection.

Al

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 8:00 pm 

I got my car passed in BC without a windshield this fall. I brought it around to a few shops before I had paint or fenders on it along with pictures of a Caterham Superlight R500 for an example. A couple shops flat out said no if I didn't have a windshield, others weren't interested in doing any kind of homebuilt, but another shop put me in touch with the head of inspections for northern BC (Terry Deacon) to ask about the stuff they weren't sure about. I emailed some pictures of my car and also of the Caterham, then talked to him on the phone. He wasn't too sure about what I was asking at first, but he eventually asked if it was a hotrod. That was the magic ticket for him. After that he said that as long as the windshield doesn't act as a structural part of the car like in a modern unibody, it doesn't have to have one. He told me that if I had any trouble with shops refusing an inspection without a windshield to get them to call him and he could set them straight. This was several years ago, and I don't know if he is still in the same position or remembers me, but if anyone is interested, I could probably find his email again. The shop that put me in touch with him was unsure about the windshield and bumpers, but other than that they only wanted fenders, dot lights, two mirrors, and backup lights. The owner also wanted mW to quiet it down some, but it was pretty raunchy at the time. I ended up getting somebody else to do the final inspection, but only because he was a work contact and said he could just do it at his house. This is how my car looked when I had it inspected.

The guy from CVSE that I talked to also said that structural integrity inspections are not an ICBC requirement except in the case of a write off, but inspection shops are allowed to request them if they want too. So trying to find a shop that won't ask for that is worth doing.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 9:52 am 

Thanks for posting that, Kristian.
Car is looking good; mine will be very close to yours, so I feel much more confident about the inspection after reading your comments.
Happy New Year.

My build log:
My build video: