LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 3, 2013, 1:39 pm 

Due to an increasingly-demanding work schedule accompanied by the tropical weather seasons here in Nebraska, I think it's probably best to let someone else enjoy this car.

I purchased it in October of 2012 with the thoughts of using it as a Sunday driver and an occasional autocross car. SCCA moved all of the local autox events an hour away from me, so this car has only seen a handful of weekend morning drives since purchasing it.

I'm the third owner. First owner built a roller, second owner finished the car, I bought it with plans to get it sorted and get it road worthy. Car drives great, has plenty of premium components, is easy to maintain, and is just a blast to drive. Fact is, I just don't have the time to spend on the car. More (most) importantly, my wife would like a 3rd car that she can drive around town too. I haven't had any mechanical issues with the car, but there may be some additional sorting needed.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/fE5pa

Here's a video driving around the mean streets of Omaha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rl67FoOI8I

- 2006 Yamaha R1. < 4000mi on it
- Street legal
- Registered & Titled in Nebraska as a 1963 Lotus Seven Replica
- 3.9:1 (4.10:1?) rear end ratio from 1st gen RX7 GSL (disk brakes, LSD)
- Miata front spindles
- CMC chassis & bodywork
- R1 radiator
- Oil pan baffle (and a spare)
- Paddle shifter
- Heavy duty clutch springs installed
- Gear indicator
- Electric parking brake.
- JAZ fuel cell
- GAZ coilovers
- Brand new (Installed June 2013, less than 200mi) tires. Still have the nubs on them.
- Team Dynamics wheels
- Momo quick-release steering wheel
- Schroth 5-point belts with quick release
- Kirkey seats
- Nice ITG filter unit
- Birkin rear lights
- Tilton pedals with balance bar
- Bussman fuse/relay panels
- Less than 200mi on brake pads & brake fluid
- 130" long, 65" wide

Other:
- Full glass windshield and mounting kit (from Kinetic) are sitting here ready to install
- SpeedoHealer & PowerCommander both included but not installed
- Plenty of other miscellaneous parts & leftovers (bolts and whatnot) from the R1.
- Car is insured with Hagerty, and previous owner used them as well. No issues getting coverage.
- Chassis was extended by 4" by previous owner due to his height (6' 5"). Due to my lack of height (5' 9.875"), I moved the seat up a few inches. Gained a bit of storage space behind the seat this way - great place to store the registration & insurance info. If you're tall, there's room to move the seat back.

Caveats:
- No reverse, but that hasn't been an issue so far. Car can be pushed/pulled with two fingers on flat ground. My 7yo nephew likes to push it out of the garage all by himself. Can't imagine a reverse box would be terribly difficult tough to install, but I've never really looked into it.
- Car is wrapped in 3M matte orange vinyl. The installer could have done a much better job around the edges. Original color underneath is BMW "Urban Green". Paint wasn't holding up very well.
- Oil level sensor is likely bad, as the oil light blinks on the instrument cluster. Oil level is perfect, so haven't bothered to replace the part until it's time for an oil change. The new part is included, just not installed.
- Car hasn't seen any repeated, heavy, cornering or braking loads yet. Car turns and brakes very well, but care should be taken here before you make sure everything is sorted out.
- Speedometer is completely incorrect. Odometer mileage is incorrect because of this. A SpeedoHealer is included but not installed. I used a cell phone to get GPS speed.

Located in Omaha, NE. Reduced price to $13,000.

Please reply here, PM me, or email me at ace(at)jetter(dot)com

Last edited by ace3 on April 8, 2014, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 3, 2013, 4:19 pm 

Nice looking car - good luck with the sale!

--JOsh

PostPosted: September 4, 2013, 2:32 am 

ace3 wrote:
Serious inquiries only, please.
Dang! And here I wanted to make a comment.

Wait, wait, I've got a serious inquiry: aren't R1s dry sump? I thought that was what made them ultra-desirable as BEC engines.

[Edit: I looked it up on the internet, and I was wrong. There's a nice tprimer on BEC lubrication at https://www.highpowermedia.com/blog/363 ... -dry-sumps which says in part:

"The Yamaha R1 (1999-2003) engine is a good example of where a baffle system can be a suitable solution. Taking the experiences of various sidecar racing teams, it appears the R1 can get away with a simple baffle plate, a relief shroud and a small overfill of oil. This provides enough performance in a sidecar outfit, capable of cornering at over 2 g, so it should be sufficient for cars producing medium amounts of aerodynamic grip. It is also negates the weight, complexity and expense of a dry-sump system."

I think there's a good chance your oil level light is being triggered by oil sloshing around in the sump in a non-motorcycle fashion.]

PostPosted: September 4, 2013, 8:39 am 

Jack,
Ha! I should have included "questions and comments welcome" ... I'm sure I didn't think of everything about the car to write it down.

Yep, unfortunately no dry sump. While the engine is sitting 90-degrees from how it sits in the bike, I'm not convinced that oil sloshing is causing the light, as it's blinking with the car sitting still. Oil level window confirms the level is at the max level. It's also very sporadic - sometimes it'll blink all of the time, others times the light will be off for quite some time. Apparently this is relatively common with the R1's (as told to me by a local shop).

PostPosted: September 5, 2013, 4:32 pm 

Do you have a weight for the car? Which generation/version of R1 engine if you know. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R1 I gather there are several different generation and power levels etc. Thanks

PostPosted: September 10, 2013, 11:11 pm 

I've never put it on a scale, so I did a little searching….

Looking at Jeff’s car (which is about identical to mine) which he lists at 1138lbs, minus the weight for his full cage, I'd guess my car is around 1000lbs. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2595161/2007-lotus-7/

Also, it's a 2006 R1 motor. 175hp@12,500rpm according to TopSpeed:
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... r3144.html

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: September 11, 2013, 12:19 pm 

That should be a close ballpark weight, mine, picture attached, weighed 1198 with a full tank of gas. And I've got reverse via a Quaife reverse box so there's a little extra weight there.

--JOsh

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 19, 2013, 1:08 pm 

I probably should have added that I'm open to offers.

Also, I hooked up the GoPro the other day and took the car for a spin. It's certainly nothing exciting, but it's (maybe) better than pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rl67FoOI8I

PostPosted: September 26, 2013, 4:51 pm 

Price reduced to $13,000

Unfortunately, it won't let me edit the original post.

PostPosted: April 2, 2014, 10:55 pm 

Still for sale

PostPosted: April 28, 2014, 3:26 pm 

Sale pending....

PostPosted: May 12, 2014, 6:06 am 

Sold!