LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 5:08 pm 

I'm going to adapt the GM Ecotec 1.4L turbo to a RWD configuration. This little engine holds a lot of potential. With proper tuning and a larger turbo, it should put out a very reliable 250HP/200tq. The torque curve is impressive even in stock tune climbing to full rated torque around 2,000 rpm. Plenty for a 1,300 lb track car. The engine is very compact and well designed on the bottom end to take the additional upgrades. The Cruze/Sonic community are just starting to tap into the full potential this engine can offer. Aftermarket support is gaining everyday.

Also the motors are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL. The breaker yards have them with super low mileage. You can get a complete engine with less than 20K miles for about a $1,000.00.

Interesting thing is you can bolt up a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo bellhousing form a 2.2L. 7 of 8 holes line up. They also used a Borg Warner T-5 manual. Lots of T-5 options and gear ratios are available.
I just picked one up on ebay for $200

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

Last edited by locofinn on December 28, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 10:34 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: June 6, 2014, 1:25 am 

I think it's a great idea and you will have a lots of great fun but don't for a moment think you won't have some serious lag when you start getting to those power levels.

What that means is you need to be prepared to get a close ratio gearbox.

PostPosted: June 6, 2014, 4:13 pm 

This idea is awesome!
Simple as that!

What is the weight of the engine, bellhouse and T5?
Will you alter the T5?

Could you tell us more on how you plan the engine management?

This Cruze engine, is this the same as the 140/150 bhp engines from GM? (A14NET (LUJ) / A14NET (LUV)) (Wiki).
(After viewing the first image on my Android phone(!!), I saw that it had the note LUJ.

Unfortunatley the Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo was probably not imported to Europe,
at least not the 2.2 one. There is newer 3.0 TDI engines, but I recon they have a different gearbox.

I am investigating how to move forward and building a car like this,
as one recently has been allowed to build a kit car in Norway, and I always wanted one.
This engine is effective and has little pollution, this makes it favorable for building a kit car, as here we have to pay tax on it like it was a new car...
(approx. 10.000 $ on top of everything you spend, with VAT. More with bigger engine)

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 3:17 pm 

The engine alone weighs 249 lbs dry. Not sure on the T-5 tranny and bellhousing yet.

I am going to run a stock ECU tweaked by Trifecta to run E85 fuel with new injectors. http://store.badnewsracing.net/Bad-News-Racing-14T-E85-Conversion-Kit_p_97.html

I hear this should get me north of 200 HP/ 220 ft/lbs TQ with Stock turbo and better intake/exhaust/downpipe system but otherwise stock motor! The cool thing is the torque comes on at fairly low RPM. Necessary for autocross digging out of corners.

This has all been done in one form or another by SCCA Mod car Guru, Del Long. See vid of Ellerby's Westfield with Ecotec 1.4T and TCM 2 speed auto transmission. Love the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfYzZ0RWGQ

Nordic_Locost wrote:
This idea is awesome!
Simple as that!

What is the weight of the engine, bellhouse and T5?
Will you alter the T5?

Could you tell us more on how you plan the engine management?

This Cruze engine, is this the same as the 140/150 bhp engines from GM? (A14NET (LUJ) / A14NET (LUV)) (Wiki).
(After viewing the first image on my Android phone(!!), I saw that it had the note LUJ.

Unfortunatley the Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo was probably not imported to Europe,
at least not the 2.2 one. There is newer 3.0 TDI engines, but I recon they have a different gearbox.

I am investigating how to move forward and building a car like this,
as one recently has been allowed to build a kit car in Norway, and I always wanted one.
This engine is effective and has little pollution, this makes it favorable for building a kit car, as here we have to pay tax on it like it was a new car...
(approx. 10.000 $ on top of everything you spend, with VAT. More with bigger engine)

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 3:24 pm 

A totally stock 1.4T in a Sonic feels surprisingly eager...This should make for a great Locost drivetrain! Thanks for sharing the RWD parts combo. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 16, 2014, 1:13 am 

Seems like I have to source the engine in the US.
Only place I could find one available was in Germany, and they wanted 5.000$ for it..

There is still a lot that I am uncertain about, building the car,
but most stuff I can figure out, but I don't know enough about the electronic needed
to run this engine.

I guess I could find a engine with a wiering loom and the ECU,
are there any schematics on how to remove what is not needed?
(Could you point me in the right direction? :arrow: )

PostPosted: June 16, 2014, 8:45 am 

Try this company. They will do it for you.

http://www.enginewiring.com/

You would need a full service manual for the specific model year $300.00 US and a lot of time.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 16, 2014, 11:26 am 

Have you determined the dimensions of the engine? I wonder how it compares in height to a 4AGE Toyota. Do you think the sump will work as it is?

PostPosted: June 16, 2014, 1:15 pm 

No dimensions yet. The sump should work as is. I understand the oil sump pan is structural by design so mods to it might be difficult. More info to follow in a few months when I actually have he engine.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 28, 2014, 8:55 am 

Did you ever move anywhere on this project?

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: October 28, 2014, 9:40 am 

Procuring parts still. Got my lightweight single mass flywheel from Clutchmasters last week. I now need a good racing clutch. Clutchmasters clutches seems a little high at around $700.00. I hear a Kentucky Clutch and South Bend Clutch makes good units in the under $500 range for a good Stage 2 or Stage 3 puck type that can handle up to 300 ft/lbs TQ. Might try a custom clutch from South Bend Clutch (DXD) since they are local to me. Any thought on other options?

Still have to get the motor form a parts yard. Prices seem steady at about $1,200 complete wih turbo and harness/ECU.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 28, 2014, 9:47 pm 

See if competition clutch makes one for the engine. They make some damn good clutches for pretty cheap.

That is one cheap little engine.

PostPosted: October 29, 2014, 12:02 am 

an equivalent to the isuzu in the u.k. was a vauxhall frontier so i guess that there is an opel equivalent.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 6, 2014, 11:52 am 

Some dimensions for the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec. It scaled just under 250 lbs dry with automatic flywheel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log: