LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warped rear
PostPosted: June 28, 2014, 5:02 pm 

So I have a Ford 8.8 rear that was shortened prior to me owning it and I believe it was slightly warped already, but I never checked to confirm this. Now that I have welded all of my brackets on, I notice both rear wheels are pointing in towards the door of the car. No need to measure here, it's definitely warped.

Any good home brew tricks to straighten this rear end? I really don't have the time, money, or want to build one all over again.

Post subject: Re: Warped rear
PostPosted: June 28, 2014, 5:41 pm 

You will need a long strong chain, like a truckers chain, a porta power and a length of tube.Attach the chain at each end leaving enough slack for the porta power to fit between the rear center area and the chain, it should look like a hunting bow with the porta power where the arrow would be.Now simply straighten the housing by pushing the porta power , it will in turn pull the axle tubes backwards for your desired result.Using the length of tube..you will need to remove the axles and head , you can run it all the way thru and measure easily with the head removed.

PostPosted: June 28, 2014, 6:29 pm 

You can also lay hot beads with a stick or wire feed welder on the back side of the tubes. I watched a guy bend an I-beam with a stick welder and would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it in person. You should check for toe-in after each bead, and if you over correct, weld on the front.

I used John's trick on a bent street light pole that was given to me. My wife's grandfather showed me how to do it with a logging chain and a bottle jack. I was impressed.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 6:58 am 

wayne-o wrote:
You will need a long strong chain, like a truckers chain, a porta power and a length of tube.Attach the chain at each end leaving enough slack for the porta power to fit between the rear center area and the chain, it should look like a hunting bow with the porta power where the arrow would be.Now simply straighten the housing by pushing the porta power , it will in turn pull the axle tubes backwards for your desired result.Using the length of tube..you will need to remove the axles and head , you can run it all the way thru and measure easily with the head removed.

That sounds like it will work. I wonder if my 10 ton bottle jack and heavy duty ratchet strap will do?

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 8:00 am 

ratchet strap will probably blow up. It's ugly when they fail

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 10:15 am 

For normal people without Super Vision, I lay 2 lengths of square tube along either tire (use a couple of bricks to get them up a bit) and measure 2 points.

For most normal people it is impossible to eye up the parallel'ness of 2 wheels using eyes only.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 10:15 am 

oops.

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 7:14 pm 

instead of running a bead, you can heat the metal red hot with a rosebud/oxy-fuel torch then quench with a wet rag. This will shrink the metal. Do areas the size of a quarter or so. Keep rechecking toe.

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 9:00 pm 

The bottle jack will work but use a chain, I used to race roundy roundy dirt cars and this is the only way we straightened them, the shrinking thing does work too but its really guess work as to how much it will pull the tube after applying the wet rag so it may need to be done a few times .

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 3:33 pm 

In case anyone is perusing this down the road, a variation on what Sean in Ct. had to say on the 'ol rosebud. We do a lot of petroleum and chemical pipe work. One surefire way to do it without killing yourself is to take the rosebud and get a band about 1" wide all the way around, while working an area on the OPPOSITE side of the warp to about two or three inches wide. In this case behind the axle. Then take a large soaking wet rag, and quench the pie shaped section on the opposite side. You can actually watch the piece move back into position. When you think you are back in position, make sure the axle slides in and out freely.

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 10:36 pm 

I had 4 sleeves that fit in the diff side bearing positions and one in each axle bearing.

The sleeves had holes bored in them to match a piece of very straight tubing.

Heat and quench until the tube would slide through all 4 sleeves with no resistance.