LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: go pro mounting
PostPosted: December 29, 2014, 9:37 pm 

I'm looking for a trustworthy suction cup mount for my go pro. I have only really been looking on Amazon because I have "free" points there. I looked through so many reviews and its all the same. 5 star people seem to be paid advertisers. And 1 star reviews seem to be those people who nit pick and complain about anything.

They all sound the same. The good reviews say it will stick on forever and have no vibration. And others say it falls off immediately or vibrates so bad the videos are useless. Even the GoPro brand has this same mixture of reviews.

What do the people here use to stick there cameras to whatever machine you are sticking it to...?

Post subject: Re: go pro mounting
PostPosted: December 29, 2014, 9:48 pm 

I never trust a suction cup mount. I use a strap mount to the roll bar with a rubber pad under the mount point.

You could borrow from the kayak fishing community and use a ram ball mount. Works like a champ.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 29, 2014, 11:38 pm 

What are you intending to attach it to?

One of the simplest/cheapest solutions I've seen was a small square of flat steel sheet welded to the top of a roll hoop with a bog standard adhesive mount stuck to it.

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 12:38 am 
The voice of reason

We used to use duct tape, err for Super 8 cameras. Hmmmm feeling old now, (slinks away....)
:rofl:

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 8:39 am 
We are Slotus!

My buddy James uses the GoPro suction-cup mounts on his Mustang, and has attached them to the Slotus a few times. They seem to work fine for autocross. There's "some" vibration, but not to the point of ruining the view. Depends on what you hang it on, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJicQLfzMT4
For example, the nearly-famous "Snout Vision" video.

YMMV, etc...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 8:41 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
We used to use duct tape, err for Super 8 cameras. Hmmmm feeling old now, (slinks away....)
Yeah, that was right after that big bird that carved pictures in the flat rock, wasn't it? It was a big improvement... Didn't have to feed the damn bird... :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 10:12 am 

Quote:
I had to laugh. I had a regular 8mm projector on my wish list for Christmas. It seems my FIL had taken all the 8mm movies when my wife and her sisters were young. He never had a projector to view them. I now have one and am a happy camper......

It shouldn't take too much to make a mount to clamp on to your roll bar or anywhere ales for that matter. If you can build a Locost, you can fabricate a camera mount.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 10:16 am 

I've played around with different mounts on my airplane, but I've always found that the self-adhesive brackets work best. The further the camera is mounted from a solid surface (suction cup and arm, adjustable arm and clamp) the more you induce vibration. Sometimes that can be removed with a good editing program, but in the end a good, solid mount is best.
I also drilled a 1/16th hole into the legs of the clear case, and run some lock wire so the camera can't fall off, if your mount fails.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 10:21 am 

I've also used the self adhesive pads for mounting a gopro on my plane (on the outside) and tied on a lanyard made of paracord in case the mount failed, but it never did. I think when I mount it in my car I will use the gopro tripod attachment. This just takes a 1/4" screw so it can be attached to any plate with a hole in it and is secure.

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 11:25 am 

Here's one of my videos. The wing mounted bracket, which incorporated a stand-off, had a lot of vibration and required a fair bit of editing. The nose mounted bracket is self adhesive and very stable.
https://vimeo.com/82150766

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 12:18 pm 

I've had trouble on just about all of my GoPro mounts due to their length from mounting point to camera centerline.

I had a lipstick camera mounted to the overhead rack in my buggy (affectionately caled "The Other Woman") that fed into a separate DVR behind the seat. I had great results from it, including the sound, because it used a separate microphone that I could move around the interior depending on what I wanted to hear the most; turbo blow-off, blower whine, or passenger screaming like a little girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I. It was back in the days where 640-480 was considered high resolution so the image is not as clear and sharp as current camera images.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 10:44 pm 

There's a GoPro mount pad with the ubiquitous 1/4"-20 threaded insert for mounting on traditional camera mounts (it's the standard tripod thread), which gives me the confidence to bolt my camera to the bottom of my car, etc.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 8:36 am 

I have the GoPro OEM mount and it works will on my Rx8 but needs to be installed on a metal flat surface. It fell off the plastic bumpers as there was too much flex. For Scrap Metal (my Locost) I bought a cheap roll cage mount from Amazon and it seems to work great.

Also tethering the camera to the car is very important. Mine fell off my car twice and off a GoKart once. The GoPro is tough as nails so was fine and luckily it was recovered each time. I fear on a track day it would be gone and that would really hurt your wallet.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 1:16 pm 

I was working a corner at the Kelowna hill climb one year and one of the cars had a GoPro attached to the side panel. He cut one of the corners previous to ours and clipped the camera on the side of the hill, which obviously caused it to fly off. Turned out that camera was actually borrowed from our fellow corner worker, so he ran down the hill and found the camera which survived without any issues, but the memory card had flown out of it when it tumbled. After the race the truck that was picking up corner workers was full so we started walking down the hill, and about half way down in the middle of the road I stumbled upon the SD card by pure dumb luck. Moral of the story? Tether your camera AND put it in the hard plastic case. :D

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 10:52 pm 

I've used a borrowed Go pro suction cup mount and it worked OK on the fiberglass scuttle. Now I use a plastic gopro rollbar mount on either the roll bar or the side bar. It is pretty secure. I know guys that use the suction cup mount on 200 mph, 6 second drag bikes without issues. It's the same mount that came with my gopro.
Kristian