LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 3:39 pm 

For the second time in as many orders, I am really impressed by the shipping service from Summit Racing. The brake hose I ordered yesterday around 4 or 5 in the evening will be at the house today! :o I guess their warehouse in Sparks, Nevada never sleeps. They processed the order and got it on a truck last night.

This is for the base ground shipping, $10 for the hose and a fuel pressure test gauge. And the price on the hose was $22 vs. $36 at both of the local parts stores I usually shop at.

John

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 4:34 pm 

I too am impressed with Summit. A few years ago I needed some head studs for an engine , I phoned Summit at 3pm our time which is 9am for them and ordered the studs. The question asked was how quick do you want them and I replied asap, I paid for the studs and shipping and to my surprise the gate bell sounded at 8am the following morning , it was UPS with the studs. I was gobsmacked that they had got them here that quickly, I cant get parts mainland over here that quick. +1 for Summit and UPS

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 5:01 pm 
Always Moore!

Yeah they're good. I live about 90 minutes from their Akron store. As long as my order is in by 5 or 6 pm it will be here the next day even with only standard shipping.

A few years ago I ordered some fittings and hoses from them. When everything arrived I found that they had sent the wrong sized fittings. Of course it was 8pm on Saturday by the time I figured it out and I had a non-refundable track booked that Tuesday. When I called Summit to explain the predicament, the guy apologized and said he'd send them out immediately but they wouldn't be there until Tuesday. I had him verify they were in stock so I could drive out the following day. For my inconvenience they gave me a $50 gift card (enough to cover the gas).

I'm not sure if this is a testament to their customer service or me having spent way too much money there over the past decade (or both) but I was a happy customer.

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 1:41 am 
The voice of reason

This is also a testament to the shipping industry, that's the other side of this coin.

Bar codes, scanners and high speed conveyer belts. I heard they are starting to put tail fins on the lighter cardboard boxes so they can run the conveyor belts faster, 10 meters per second...

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 2:58 am 

[quote="horizenjob"]This is also a testament to the shipping industry, that's the other side of this coin.

True but I would imagine by volume alone Summit or the like would be a couriers golden customer and get a better response than you or I could expect. When I get Ebay items from big sellers they all seem to get here pretty rapid with extremely cheap carriage rates , when I send items in the post not only is it expensive but I quite often get a call days later asking where it is.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 7:08 am 

I am a big fan of Summit. If I need to spend over $100 (Free Shipping) they are always high on my list of vendors.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 7:47 am 

With all of the success with quick shipping from Summit, it is obvious that they don't ship via USPS!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 9:00 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

wrightcomputing wrote:
I am a big fan of Summit. If I need to spend over $100 (Free Shipping) they are always high on my list of vendors.

With an underline below $100. Buy $99 worth of stuff and you're supporting those who spent more. It does indeed pay to keep it above that amount.

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 9:32 am 

I have also had good luck with Summit and Jegs sometimes one will have a better price then the other. I also like Pegasus racing in Milwaukee, and they have a lot of Locost related parts and great technical assistance, I have phone them with a few, I have this and need to get to this type questions and they have been very helpful. I am luck to live close to a UPS hub, I placed an order with Pagasus at 4pm one evening and it arrived the next day only paying the cheapest UPS shipping.

www.pegasusautoracing.com

Graham

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 10:57 am 
Always Moore!

rx7locost wrote:
it is obvious that they don't ship via USPS!

You can say that again. They sell ARP stuff for British cars but most of it is drop shipped and it comes however the supplier sends it. You still get free shipping if you spend $99 but 4 or 5 days in the hands of the USPS seems like an eternity.

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 8:16 pm 

Out here on the Left Coast, we're getting things faster by USPS Priority Mail than either UPS ground or FedEx ground. We get lots of stuff from the Mid West too. It's cheaper too. Just saying . . . .

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 9:25 pm 

8 days to get a Priority Mail package mailed from Chicago to Washington state last month. No guarantee, just a 2-day empty promise! Totally unacceptable USPS!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 5, 2015, 2:30 am 

I'm with Lonnie on this. USPS Priority Mail is far quicker then UPS or FedEx from anywhere in the Continental from Washington state. I can mail on Monday and it's there by Wednesday. The flat rate packages kick UPS and Fed X asses.

When I order something and there is a choice I always choose USPS. Gets here mucho quicker. Last thing I had ordered shipped UPS. Took 9 days to get here from Indiana. USPS would have had here in 2.

Don't know what to say to others that had bad experience with USPS. Chosen the wrong option ?

PostPosted: April 5, 2015, 7:42 am 

Things have gotten to the point I really can't see a difference among shippers unless I opt for next day service. (never) Three days for Priority Mail to get to eastern Indiana from the L.A. area for less than ten bucks. Your just not going to beat that.

But to the main subject. Yes, I ordered a sway bar from Summit and it was here within three days. Totally amazed. I remember when it took that long for a seller to acknowledge the purchase. Then a week for the order to go from the front desk to the warehouse.

Things have changed.

Bill