LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally starting
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 9:24 am 

Ok, after about 3 years of lurky I am finally starting my build. I was going to do the Midlana build and had the engine, tranny, axles, and book but I decided to go with the locost. This has NOTHING to do with the Midlana book or design....its a VERY nice car and project and I am actually using some of his ideas in my locost. I will be adding 1.5 to my engine bay and about 2 to the passenger compartment. The donor car will be a 240sx.

Engine: KA24DE turbo

Megasquirt 3 with expansions
Eagle rods
Wiseco Pistons
ARP head and main bolts
Ported Head
Cometic Headgasket
Kelford Camshafts

Tranny: (OMG I am going to get flamed but hey)

98 Automatic Transmission
Modified Valvebody
Level 10 clutches
Torque converter to be determined
Megashift DIY transmission controller
Car will still have the clutch pedal and master cylinder for a possible swap later.
Q45 diff with 3.35:1 final

Reason for the auto tranny for now is I want to see how well this this transmission does (I have a 1984 Nissan ST Pickup I may convert to auto) and also I can let my sons drive it. Wife can do Manual but would be more comfortable with an Auto. I also can program the automatic for some pretty cool options such as transbrake (not that I need it), much faster speeds in 1st, and I believe I will have much better traction and faster 0-60 times, paddle shifting, and better launching. If I don't like it I will swap to manual.

So, I have two engines in the garage now and three transmissions. Its a bit cramped.

Buying the chassis metal this week and building the table today. Im actually very excited to do this project....im so tired of modifying cars and being limited to their inherent flaws. I dread the time that's involved but I know when I hit the halfway mark I will begin enjoying it. All three of my sons are going to help me with it so this will be fun for them hopefully.

Oh, I live in the Atlanta area.

Here is my last project I did and also the ECU I built that will be identical the what I am putting in the Locost 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOEGvK68vos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgQjgCyJnA

:cheers:

Post subject: Re: Finally starting
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 9:56 pm 

Welcome aboard Robert!
No flames for your transmission choice, it's your car!
Sounds like you will be using it as a test Ned as well, great.
You have done some really interesting stuff with Megasquirt, can't wait to hear more.
JEB

PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 4:35 pm 

Thnx jebb. Will be posting photos of engine painting shortly. Also will post photos of the megabit build..

PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 4:39 pm 

Cukali wrote:
Buying the chassis metal this week and building the table today. Im actually very excited to do this project....im so tired of modifying cars and being limited to their inherent flaws. I dread the time that's involved but I know when I hit the halfway mark I will begin enjoying it. All three of my sons are going to help me with it so this will be fun for them hopefully.

Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to do this. You will definitely start enjoying it after the halfway mark, so long as you remember that the halfway mark is when you're about 99% done. One thing I learned a few months after finishing mine, as much fun as it is to build a Locost, driving it is way more fun. So whatever it takes, finish it.

PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 5:55 pm 

I'm really interested on these KA24 builds. I recently found out that there should be plenty of those here. So if I ever finish my project, next step will be the KA24 upgrade.

Good luck with build! Will track your log for sure.

PostPosted: September 17, 2015, 1:48 pm 

Bought the Metal today. 1x1 16 ga. 120ft to start. All the places I looked wanted about $180-$220 for it not counting shipping which was anywhere from $120-$500!!! LOL.

Got it at Metal Supermarket in Atlanta for $16 per 24ft. Total of $84 including taxes. Now I will just drive there Saturday to pick it up.

On the downside, I paid a race engine machinist to bore the block at $60 per hole!!!!! WTF. But last 2 times I had engines done it was screwed up so I was happy to pay the extra $ for a perfect job.

Spent all weekend stripping the paint off the engine block and bits and began spraying primer. Ordered 1qt of Blue Laser Pearl for the valve cover and oil pan. I am painting the body with 2 stage Blue Laser Pearl from the 2015 Dart. My son chose the color and it does look great.

PostPosted: September 17, 2015, 3:11 pm 

Cukali,

Welcome! I to am just starting my build but like you i am no nooby when it comes to modifying street cars and same as you i have grown tired of trying to improve the imperfect.

Look forward to the build! Better than reality TV

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 1:40 am 

Hey welcome to the puzzle palace!

What have you in mind for a build table? Pics pics pics! Your build table will be the best tool/jig you will have on this build, it will hold up a whole car.
What kind of welder are you using to glue the frame together with?

Good luck with the build! And watch out, Gonzo is around here somewhere, waiting to pounce......

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 6:46 am 

Welcome to the club. There's a handful of us in atlanta. I got my metal from the same place, they will deliver it for around $40 if you meet there minimum. Which has always been worth it in my case, since atlanta traffic is always bad.

PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 6:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Cukali!
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're off to a good start. And don't believe Horchoha, I ain't pounced on anybody in years. I did kinda pounce on the "Shrimp Special" at Barnacle Bill's last night, but I was hungry...

Yeah, pictures are always nice, helps us to understand what you're working on/talking about. Especially Perry ("Horchoha")... It's been so long since he took readin' lessons in first (and first again, and second, and third, and third again...) grade, he don't remember 'zackly what all those letters are and sometimes the big words confuse him. Just the other day, he stared at a container of frozen orange juice for 3 hours because the label said "Concentrate." :rofl:

I'm in Tallahassee, got most of a car done :roll: and I've been autocrossing with Dixie Region SCCA in Moultrie GA (At Spence Field) and Adel GA (at South GA Motorsports Park). Come on down for a visit. We got one Sunday, actually. I know that's really short notice, but we're there every month. Try to come see us, if you can.

Good luck with your build! I'm gonna go pounce on another cup of coffee now. See ya 'round!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 25, 2015, 10:11 am 

Ok...I have pics ready but need to upload them to photo bucket so I can post them.

Give me a moment.

PostPosted: September 25, 2015, 10:41 am 
Toyotaphobe

Cukali wrote:
Ok...I have pics ready but need to upload them to photo bucket so I can post them.

Give me a moment.

No! Load them directly to here. That way everyone can see them (some can't see 3rd party picture sites), they'll load much faster for those of us who don't have super fast internet AND, more importantly, they won't disappear later

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 25, 2015, 12:37 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Cukali wrote:

Give me a moment.

No! Load them directly to here. That way everyone can see them (some can't see 3rd party picture sites), they'll load much faster for those of us who don't have super fast internet AND, more importantly, they won't disappear later

What he said.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 25, 2015, 12:50 pm 

Ok tried doing from my galaxy note. Let's see if it worked.

says invalid file name extension not allowed.

When I click on add file it doesn't allow me to go to my gallery.....only search files on my phone. Found the pictures but it wont upload them.

PostPosted: September 25, 2015, 12:59 pm 

The Metal

The tubing.

The oil pan.

Valve Cover.