LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 11, 2016, 9:04 am 

Hey Jack,
Yep, that was me being an idiot on the install. I pulled out the rest of the foam and there is indeed a pickup that goes to the bottom. Retract my griping and thanks for checking. I am still going to install the Hydromat as when this corners hard, I would probably get starvation below a quarter tank.
Thanks again,
Paul Harhen...Probably the only Locoster in Duxbury (couple of Caterhams though...one belonging to Joe Perry of Aerosmith).

PostPosted: February 11, 2016, 4:35 pm 

The pickup on my JAZ 10-gal scrapes the bottom.

PostPosted: February 11, 2016, 7:55 pm 

I'll be chatting with JAZ about this confusion and will certainly add a note on my own web site--when this tank is modified for EFI (by adding a return line), the return line fitting is the one next to the vent fitting.

Also I'll see if our fuel tanks could be fitted with an intake line that goes to the middle bottom of the tank, instead of the right bottom, since we Locosters turn both ways.

JPN Europa made an interesting observation on the phone with me this morning. When you install the tank, the vent fitting (which has a gravity-and/or-pressure-actuated check valve--it's a ball that blocks the vent when the tank is upside down, or when a bunch of fuel is pushing against it) should have a vent hose that goes across the top of the tank to the other side. Otherwise, in half a rollover (that is, with the car on its side), if the vent side is down, and there isn't enough fuel to pressurize the check valve, fuel could get out. Not likely, but a well positioned vent line would eliminate the possibility, so I'm going to change mine accordingly.

PS--I'll be interested in hearing how the HydraMat works for you, JPN Europa. Keep us informed and take pictures. :)

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 12:49 pm 

Installing the Hydromat was really easy. I bought a longer piece of fuel hose to replace the one originally supplied by Jaz. It goes to a 90° fitting on the Hydromat which is centered in the tank. I used the foam supplied with the tank to hold it in position...and I think I am done. I will test it out as soon as the weather warms up and the roads get cleared of any salt. I think spring will be early this year in New England.

PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 3:26 pm 

Forgot to post. The Hydromat works great! Very little gas in the tank, no fuel starvation in sweepers.

PostPosted: April 24, 2016, 5:18 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
Forgot to post. The Hydromat works great! Very little gas in the tank, no fuel starvation in sweepers.

How big was the mat and what was the cost? I am curious because I would like to include this on my build.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 9:05 am 

It was $150 from Summit Racing. PN HLY-16-105
You can spend more on a bigger one, but I don't think its necessary.
it is 15 inches long by 3 inches wide. It does not go all the way to the ends of the tank, but you would have to be down to the last few ounces to starve it. I used the foam inserts provided with the tank to secure it in position.